Photo

How to get the pinion gear off of a motorr

5 replies to this topic

#1 LordGiratia

LordGiratia

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Just got some extreme 180 motors, just they have the pinion gear on them.
Warning, my posts aren't finished when I post them, wait 15 minutes and the post will be perfect.

#2 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

If you try to just pry it off it could damage the motor. If you have a small butane jet torch/lighter heat the gear and it will expand allowing it to slide freely on or off. Be very careful not to direct much heat at the motor or you could damage it that way too. If you have a vice you can clamp it in there gently to keep heat off the sides of the motor casing.

Edit: A soldering iron is a very good idea too. Safer and less likely to damage the motor itself.

Edited by Azrael0987, 02 January 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#3 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Considering you are replacing motors, I assume you have access to a soldering iron. Use the iron to heat up the pinion, (not the motor shaft) and slide it off while it's still hot. Same concept as Azrael0987 mentioned, but easier to control where the heat goes.

#4 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

I just pulled straight, and they came right off. OK, I handed them to my massive 200+ pound grip-strength roommate, who pulled them off. Make sure you have a good grip on the motors so you don't pull THEM in two. Heating can damage components- if you go that route, use a heatsink (pliers on the shaft or something.)

#5 Bobololo

Bobololo

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I may be late to this, but I have a very simple solution.
I use my Plastic snippers to wedge under the gear and push it up the shaft. Takes almost no effort and gets it off cleanly.

#6 KeiichiRX7

KeiichiRX7

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:41 AM

A little late to the party, but I thought it worth while to link to the proper tool for the task at hand. If you're doing a LOT of work with the motors one of these Tamiya pinion pullers might be worth your money to avoid damaging motors.

https://www.tamiyaus...on-puller-15422
Capt Slug thinks this thread is idiotic. Why did any of you seriously reply to this?

Why so serious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users