Photo

3 round burst electric Nerf gun

Is it possible to make a 3 round burst electric nerf gun?

9 replies to this topic

#1 The Rayven

The Rayven

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hey Fellow Nerfers!
I would like to ask if anyone has made or will be able to make a nerf gun that shoots in 3 round bursts?
(every time you pull the trigger once it fires 3 darts very quickly...)
If you have made one, post a video to show me! Also, you can tell me how it works because I am trying to make one and have ruined a few nerf guns in the process.
I will be very impressed if anyone makes one!

This is The Rayven, signing out...
Nevermore, nevermore...
-The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe

#2 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well, the easy way is to start with an automatic electric blaster, then do some arduino stuffs.

Not many people have done it, and even fewer have publicized their projects on the subject.

#3 CheeseRat

CheeseRat

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure you can just get a Rapidstrike and solder an arduino in it that can be programmed to have 3-round burst. Even better, you could set the arduino up with a 3-way switch for single fire, 3-round burst, and full-auto. Anyone with enough 'arduino knowledge' could build this. This is a good idea that I've never seen before in a nerf forum.
I like cheese.

#4 The Rayven

The Rayven

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thank you so much guys for responding!!!
Nevermore, nevermore...
-The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe

#5 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

This is a very good concept that is feasible,
except for the fact that, fly wheels decelerate for a second, after a shot is fired.

This means that, the moment one shot is fired, the second shot will have a range decrease following a significant range decrease in the third shot, if you fire them in short bursts.

Still,if you use higher torque motors or lighter darts with less inertia, that may counter the effect. :)

Edited by proplus, 28 December 2013 - 10:29 PM.

"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#6 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Roboman is working on something along the lines but running into issues with the nerf wiring controls. Your best bet is to pm him.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#7 pinson

pinson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

I saw someone using capacitors being charged while revving and then "released" when firing to help with dropping rev's each shot, so using that to get a more stable and constant speed on the motors while firing multiple darts in succession could help.

-Pinson

#8 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Easier solution to the velocity drop problem: use good, torquey motors like barricade motors or blade 180s and make sure to use proper batteries that can supply the current necessary (ie, not trustfires). Anything used for RC should work well enough. Don't overthink it with capacitors or whatever.

#9 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Roboman is working on something along the lines but running into issues with the nerf wiring controls. Your best bet is to pm him.

I just picked the wrong transistors for the job, and the PCB trace widths are too narrow to handle the current. The boards should still work, but may not be as reliable as I'd like. Expect more progress on that when I get back to school.

Posted Image

This is the schematic, for reference. It's a 555 configured as a 1-shot timer with 3 selectable delays.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#10 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Roboman is free to open up another thread on this topic if he wants to continue the discussion.

The Rayven should feel bad for opening up a concept thread without posting any pictures or embedding a video or even having a better written description of at least something concrete being made. Please refer to the New Members Guide
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users