Photo

Ultrafire 14500 protected issues

6 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Espinoza

Joe Espinoza

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have recently purchased ultrafire 14500 protected batteries and they just keep shitting out on me after a couple shots.
I HAVE taken out all of the resistors and any other pain in the ass safety mechanisms.
I know that these are protected because it says it on the battery. But does that mean they don't run if the volts or amps get too high?
I would really appreciate help or suggestions to resolve this issue.

Thanks
The Road Underfoot Is Certian To Become The Road Behind.

#2 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Where did you buy them?
EDIT; disregard, Duke found your problem.
To make this post worth anything, here's where to get good batteries;
Unprotected Trustfires

Shipping takes awhile, but it's free to the US.

Edited again to avoid a double post; just wanted to let you know, I made the mistake of ordering Trustfires off of ebay before, I got a total of ten unprotected cells, 4 of them still work.

I bought those off eBay actually and I did order the unprotected. But instead they sent the wrong ones. Never thought it would have lead to an issue like this. Well I guess I have to make another order ): thanks for the help though

Edited by Mully, 28 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#3 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Bought the wrong batteries mate.

I personally use unprotected cells.

I'm sure one of the electrical engineers lurking around here will tell you the exact difference, but all I know is unprotected = performance and protected = bad mojo.

Buy some unprotected cells and all your troubles will be gone.

#4 Joe Espinoza

Joe Espinoza

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Bought the wrong batteries mate.

I personally use unprotected cells.

I'm sure one of the electrical engineers lurking around here will tell you the exact difference, but all I know is unprotected = performance and protected = bad mojo.

Buy some unprotected cells and all your troubles will be gone.

I bought those off eBay actually and I did order the unprotected. But instead they sent the wrong ones. Never thought it would have lead to an issue like this. Well I guess I have to make another order ): thanks for the help though
The Road Underfoot Is Certian To Become The Road Behind.

#5 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

For the record, the protected cells have circuitry inside of them to limit the maximum current output of each cell - this is done because lithium batteries can explode or catch on fire if they're discharged too quickly. For our purposes, it's fine to use the unprotected cells, because the protection has a fairly high safety factor built into it, which limits the maximum current draw to less than a desirable level for electric blasters. The protection also limits the minimum cell voltage, so you don't permanently damage your batteries (or cause a fire) by taking the cell voltage below the absolute minimum for the battery chemistry. Lithium batteries are very picky and can tend to be volatile, but if you're reasonably careful, you'll be fine.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#6 Nerf Goblin

Nerf Goblin

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

14500 lithium battery x 3 and fake battery x 1 is ok

We offen use fake battery, like this
fake battery

If you mod the Electric protect facilities , you can use 14500 lhm battery x 4 .
It's cool.

#7 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

Protected cells have a PCB that limits the the current.

You can actually rip it off, and it will be fine.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users