Buying Foam

I have some questions

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have been using frost king foam backer rod to make my darts for the past two years. I only buy the dense, soft rolls and get them at home depot and true value. I know people spend around $80-$100 to buy 2500' online but I can't spend that kind of money. I was wondering if there was somewhere with tighter foam (like white or beige) in spools of say 100, 250, or even less for a reasonable price. I've been getting tired of not having foam when I need to make darts and I want easier to see darts that fire better for my barrel material because whenever I fire slightly tighter darts they fire further than my darts slightly. I am also wondering if anyone has found notably better fitting foam for an average 1/2" cpvc barrel. Finally, does spray painting darts tend to leave spray paint in barrels? I am not asking for a fbr seller right now, but I would like to know the status of what foam is out there.

Thank you if you reply in advance.

Edited by Tangerle, 11 September 2013 - 03:32 PM.

Gino

#2 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

If you are willing to make safer darts, you can contact Kane to buy a pink MHA foam dart making kit. Or you can contact Snickers and ask him about his beige and white foam, I believe he will sell it in 100' lengths.
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#3 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Best Materials sells their beige foam by the foot here, so you can order whatever length you like. This stuff is supposed to somewhat fat, so you may have to use different barrel material. But it's also supposed to vary quite a bit in the roll, and you could also stretch it to fit whatever barrels you have.
You could also purchase some of Mod Man's red foam.

#4 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Finally, does spray painting darts tend to leave spray paint in barrels?

From my experience, yes. Definitely yes. The paint wears off and it all ends up in your barrel/on your seal. On someall of my painted darts you can't even tell that they were painted before or just have speckles from other darts.

If you are willing to make safer darts, you can contact Kane to buy a pink MHA foam dart making kit. Or you can contact Snickers and ask him about his beige and white foam, I believe he will sell it in 100' lengths.

Just for your information, I contacted Kane via email about MHA kits on the 7th and haven't yet had a reply.

#5 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Best Materials sells their beige foam by the foot here, so you can order whatever length you like. This stuff is supposed to somewhat fat, so you may have to use different barrel material. But it's also supposed to vary quite a bit in the roll, and you could also stretch it to fit whatever barrels you have.

I'd recommend getting the Best Materials foam, it's great stuff. I started off with Frost King foam, and it's the worst foam I know of to date, I might have just gotten a bad batch, but I remember thinking about getting it in 5/8" diameter, just to see if it had a better fit. I ended up using it for what it was designed for. A gap filler. I switched to Best Materials foam, and I'm still using it. As DartSlinger said, it's big stuff, but it's relatively cheap, and it works well. I wouldn't recommend spray-painting your darts at all, I've personally never done it, but I can almost guarantee you that you'll gunk up your barrel. EDIT: What Naturalman7 said.

Edited by Mully, 11 September 2013 - 06:23 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#6 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

^One guy at Armageddon sprayed his darts, but he very peculiar foam, seemed to have air gun fit in CPVC? If you remember, his foam was pink and silver, I believe, with single BB glue domes.

Does Mod Man even still sell red foam?
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#7 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yea that is very cheap and seems certainly like a good option. Do you know anything about shipping, how they cut it, or how drastic it varies?

I'd recommend getting the Best Materials foam, it's great stuff. I started off with Frost King foam, and it's the worst foam I know of to date, I might have just gotten a bad batch, but I remember thinking about getting it in 5/8" diameter, just to see if it had a better fit. I ended up using it for what it was designed for. A gap filler. I switched to Best Materials foam, and I'm still using it. As DartSlinger said, it's big stuff, but it's relatively cheap, and it works well. I wouldn't recommend spray-painting your darts at all, I've personally never done it, but I can almost guarantee you that you'll gunk up your barrel. EDIT: What Naturalman7 said.

I specifically buy the less shitty rolls. I've had good rolls and really bad rolls. Usually the darker they are the better. As for the Best Materials foam, yea that is very cheap and seems certainly like a good option and do you know anything about shipping, how they cut it, or how drastic it varies?

Also how well does this stuff fit in 1/2" schedule 80?

Edited by Tangerle, 11 September 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Gino

#8 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

That would certainly be a considered option. 100' foot lengths are great and that's good that there are people selling white foam. It would depend on the price though.

From my experience, yes. Definitely yes. The paint wears off and it all ends up in your barrel/on your seal. On someall of my painted darts you can't even tell that they were painted before or just have speckles from other darts.

Just for your information, I contacted Kane via email about MHA kits on the 7th and haven't yet had a reply.

That makes sense I figured that that happens

Interesting, I wouldn't email Kane about the MHA foam for a while

^One guy at Armageddon sprayed his darts, but he very peculiar foam, seemed to have air gun fit in CPVC? If you remember, his foam was pink and silver, I believe, with single BB glue domes.

Does Mod Man even still sell red foam?

It's good to know that people have tried spray painting darts. With such a loose fit the paint probably comes off less frequent.
Gino

#9 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

That would certainly be a considered option. 100' foot lengths are great and that's good that there are people selling white foam. It would depend on the price though.

That makes sense I figured that that happens

Interesting, I wouldn't email Kane about the MHA foam for a while

It's good to know that people have tried spray painting darts. With such a loose fit the paint probably comes off less frequent.

I'm pretty slow (Average wait from e-mail to ship is about 1 week), but I do get to filling my orders eventually. Not-emailing me doesn't speed up the process.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#10 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

I'm pretty slow (Average wait from e-mail to ship is about 1 week), but I do get to filling my orders eventually. Not-emailing me doesn't speed up the process.

Well I'm not really interested in buying your foam unless I would want to try to make some kind of safe dart. Basically I would email you about it if I ever got bored and curious about safe darts and how well they work. Oh and It's really cool how you give that foam away.

Edited by Tangerle, 12 September 2013 - 09:25 PM.

Gino

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users