Photo

MEGA dart barrel material?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm currently using 3/4in pvc, and its too loose; the darts slide right through it. I've tried thinwall 1/2in, but it's just too damn small. Tomorrow I'm going hardware store hopping, but they won't be carrying things like petg. Basically, does anybody happen to know the perfect size material for these new darts?

Edited by Duke Wintermaul, 31 August 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#2 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

You might want to specify that you're talking about the Nerf Centurion's "mega" darts. The reason for specifying is that the term mega can be confusing because mega darts usually refers to darts that are 5/8" in diameter. Nerf's old mega darts were this diameter, and the mega stefans are 5/8" in diameter also. Unfortunately, Nerf renamed their new Centurion darts "megas," even though they are 3/4" in diameter, and are NIC-wise, jumbos. Not at all meaning to be a pedant, your question was just somewhat confusing at first.

On searching McMaster-Carr, 2044T45 looks as if it would surely work. It's inner diameter is just a tad larger than 3/4," so it should work excellently. As for items that you could find at a local hardware store, you might try 3/4" CPVC. I just used digital calipers to measure the inside diameter of some that I have, and I came up with .709". That's way too small, if Centurion darts are actually 3/4" in diameter, but knowing that the tolerances of pipe are very loose, you might try sticking a dart into the pipe. Who knows, you might find one that's looser than you thought. Posted Image

Edited by DartSlinger, 31 August 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#3 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Yes, I am referring to the new red mega's.

I don't think the McMaster you linked will work, I'm actually looking for something that's smaller than 3/4 pvc as I mentioned it was too large.

I'm going to be shoving darts into many pipes tomorrow, and will definitely be checking out 3/4 cpvc.

#4 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

You could try schedule 80 3/4" PVC. That's what I use for my jumbo stefans.

#5 CoolpantsMcgee

CoolpantsMcgee

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

If I were you I would either try 3/4" cpvc, 3/4"pex tubing, as stated above 3/4"sch80 pvc, or maybe if 3/4" pex is too small try 1"pex. All of these (besides the sch80 pvc.(at least from my experience) should be in home depot.

#6 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Ryan Mcnumbers built a 3/4" sch40 barrelled 4" bore megahamp to test the new darts. They seem to behave like streamlines at high speeds, which was disappointing.

3/4" ID is .824", and I don't know of a tighter material for these darts. Maybe you can find something 20mm ID?
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

It's late now, but I will check and see if Venom's undersized batch of 3/4" PVC (has a 1.00" OD, which is why I use it) has an undersized ID as well. I'll try to remember in the morning. It confuses me why Hasbro would make these darts so large, instead of making actual Mega sized streamlines and blasters. Makes no sense.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't think the McMaster you linked will work, I'm actually looking for something that's smaller than 3/4 pvc as I mentioned it was too large.

2044T45 will almost certainly work. Apparently you don't realize that a barrel has to have a slightly larger inner diameter than the size of foam you are using. For instance, a 3/4" diameter dart would not even fit into a pipe with exactly a 3/4" inner diameter. Oh, and apparently you don't even know the inner diameter of 3/4" PVC. It's .824", which is way bigger than 2044T45.

#9 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

2044T45 will almost certainly work. Apparently you don't realize that a barrel has to have a slightly larger inner diameter than the size of foam you are using. For instance, a 3/4" diameter dart would not even fit into a pipe with exactly a 3/4" inner diameter. Oh, and apparently you don't even know the inner diameter of 3/4" PVC. It's .824", which is way bigger than 2044T45.

The problem in my opinion is not really the barrel materials, but the darts themselves. They're behave like giant streamlines and fly everywhere. You'd have to modify them somehow, but at that point just making your own fucking giant darts.

But feel free to order some giant PETG and prove me wrong.

#10 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Apparently I misunderstood your first post. When you said

On searching McMaster-Carr, [size="2"]2044T45 looks as if it would surely work. It's inner diameter is just a tad larger than 3/4,"Posted Image

I obviously misinterpreted the 3/4 to mean 3/4pvc when you quite literally were talking about the measurement of 3/4 of an inch. But thanks for the explosion.

If anybody is interested, 3/4in copper type L pipe is the perfect size for these new darts. Pax 3/4 is too small, and 1in is too large. Likewise, 3/4 cpvc is too small.

I went ahead and ordered some of the petg you linked DS, as the type L copper was insanely expensive.

Thanks for everybodies suggestions.

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

UPDATE: What now, bitches?

Posted Image

PVC rocket barrel material (courtesy of Venom) is a perfect fit for MEGA/Jumbo darts, at an ID of 19.2mm-19.5mm. This Jobar fires MEGAs about 70ft at about 10PSI. That's with only a 9" barrel, too. I'll do some daylight testing tomorrow, hopefully sans wind and rain. I'll even commit to sacrificing a $0.70 dart by incrementally increasing the pressure.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Got the 2044T45 tubing a few days ago.

Sweet lord, it's perfect! Huge shout out to DartSlinger for the info.

Also, this tubing fit's perfectly into 1/2in pvc couplers. Super easy to make any couplered blaster into a MEGA blaster.

Can't wait to use my new MEGA blasters at war's, all i hope is the host ups their point value in DTC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users