Help With Homemade Air Blaster

6 replies to this topic

#1 Totally Threemo

Totally Threemo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hey Guys,

I am intending on attempting to make a high powered air blaster (for fun, not for war use) and have encountered a problem.

It will be running pressure rated PVC tank, sheathed in PVC (For safety) and then inside a magstrike shell. I am unsure of how to make the air release (when pulling the trigger to fire) happen. I have the magstrike "air release button" if that is useful.

I also am unsure of how to make an OPV, I searched and found so many "version 2.0's and altered and improved versions" it was very confusing. If someone who has been around longer could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much, let me know if there are any extra details needed.

Thanks,

t0ta11y3m0

#2 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

There are quite a few ways to release the air. What are the specifics of your design? Could you give pictures if you have built it so far, or drawings if you only have a tentative sketch of what you are doing? This would greatly help people in giving advice.

Before trying to build this, I suggest doing a lot of research. Here is an article I wrote specifically for introducing people to air guns and helping them to understand how they work. This will probably help you a lot.

As for an over-pressure valve (also called a pressure-relief valve), here is a nice explanation of how one works. They are really quite simple. And here is a tutorial on building one.

I hope this helps. Posted Image

Edited by DartSlinger, 16 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#3 Totally Threemo

Totally Threemo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

The three red areas are the possible tank locations. I am also unsure of how big to make the tank.

I am not sure of what other details you would like so just let me know and I will edit the post.

Thanks

3m0

#4 Totally Threemo

Totally Threemo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Yes I am double posting but I wanted to bump it anyway, and I have a more complete design. It is all in Metric cos I am an Aussie, and it is all Aussie materials, it is just the design I would like scrutinized and flamed. Yes, the PVC will be pressure rated, inside the shell, and its hand pumped so it wont be reaching high pressures.

So, the new design

Posted Image

Thanks

Threemo

#5 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

That looks like a solid design. You could also use the stock air bladder instead of a PVC hard tank to make it semi-automatic. If you went that route, you could wrap the bladder with a section of inner tube to make higher pressure. This would give you more shots and higher range. Schmee has done that before with successful results.

#6 Totally Threemo

Totally Threemo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I really like that idea, except the stock tank burst. Split right down the middle. I attempted to replace it with bike inner tube but the rubber was too flexible and did not compress quickly enough. That is why I am doing this, to make use of the parts I have lying around.

Really the only thing i am having trouble with now is finding a one way valve for the tank.

Meh, trip to the hardware store I think,

Threemo

#7 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Really the only thing i am having trouble with now is finding a one way valve for the tank.

There are one-way PVC check valves that you can buy at a hardware store, but they are extremely expensive. Here is a homemade valve that is extremely inexpensive and works very well. Even though pipe and fittings in Australia are different sizes, I'm sure that you could adjust it accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users