Photo

How do you cut Plastic Tubing from McMaster?

I feel so dirty asking this

11 replies to this topic

#1 xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • State:California

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

First off, I apologize for my "helplessness", but I just ordered the plastic tubing from McMaster Carr, part number 2044T43.
Of course, it's not true PETG (or so I'm told), so I don't need fancy tools to cut it (which I don't have).

It says on the website I can cut it with scissors but I don't want to break my scissors.

I have pipe cutters, but they're the cheap kind that give you an angled cut in the end. What I'm asking is can I score the tubing with the pipe cutter and use my scissors to cut it?

Edited by xXhunter47Xx, 16 August 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#2 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts
  • State:Idaho

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

I use a hacksaw. Cut carefully.

#3 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Of course, it's not true PETG (or so I'm told)...

I think it is actually the PETG used by most nerfers, as for cutting it, I did a quick google search, and came up with an already existing thread about that exact subject, on Foam Universe.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Mully, 16 August 2013 - 04:49 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#4 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I wouldn't advise using scissors to cut these, although I'm sure it can be done. I don't know of any pipe cutters that give you an angled cut, but you can cut the tubing with whatever pipe cutters you have. I would advise using the twisting around and around and periodically tightening method that is used with this kind of tubing cutters.

Posted Image

You can still use that method with these kind of pipe cutters.

Posted Image

Just shearing straight through the pipe with scissors or pipe cutters might crack or damage the pipe.

Another method is using a scroll saw. OneManClan used this method to cut hundreds of feet of PETG back when he used to sell it. And as said by Naturalman7, you can use a hacksaw too if you want to. You will most likely have to deburr the ends once you are done cutting, though.

Edited by DartSlinger, 16 August 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#5 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

The difficulty of dealing with PETG was one of the reasons I began using CPVC. I used to use a hacksaw then about 20 minutes of sanding whenever I dealt with it. I haven't actually tried this but if I recall correctly you can make pretty clean cuts using a piece of 17/32 brass and rotating pipe cutters (the wheel one, not the knife one.) Roughly cut the PETG with some extra out, insert the brass, and then you can use the roller cutters without crunching the PETG and smashing it.

#6 xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hey guys, got 1 more post for today, when I received my tubing I just made it have at tight fit in the second cutter dartslinger posted, and then scored the tubing until it fell off.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

#7 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Get a piece of rod (wood/nylon, whateves) 1/2 inch wide. Insert into pipe where you want to cut, and use mini Pipe cutters. It leaves a nice straight edge and does not deform the PETG.
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#8 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

The difficulty of dealing with PETG was one of the reasons I began using CPVC. I used to use a hacksaw then about 20 minutes of sanding whenever I dealt with it. I haven't actually tried this but if I recall correctly you can make pretty clean cuts using a piece of 17/32 brass and rotating pipe cutters (the wheel one, not the knife one.) Roughly cut the PETG with some extra out, insert the brass, and then you can use the roller cutters without crunching the PETG and smashing it.

I tried using this method at first, but for some strange reason, my PETG (2044T43) would not accept 17/32" without hammering it into the PETG and deforming it. I was surprised because many people had done it before with no problem. Does anyone have the same problem?

#9 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts
  • State:Idaho

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Does anyone have the same problem?

I do. It made making a rearloading AT2k that didn't drop darts out the barrels more difficult. I think it's because of the QC of McMaster's tube.

Edited by Naturalman7, 17 August 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#10 xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

The 1/2" brass from McM fits perfectly.

#11 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

I do. It made making a rearloading AT2k that didn't drop darts out the barrels more difficult. I think it's because of the QC of McMaster's tube.

Thanks, I had suspected that but was not entirely sure. The AT2K I overhauled had the same problem.

The 1/2" brass from McM fits perfectly.

That makes sense as the brass is smaller, I may try that too.

#12 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

I use an ald AAA battery, wrap M-Tape (white paper based masking tape) around it until the battery+tape fit snugly into the PETG, then use the twist-twist-twist pipe-cutters shown above.

Of course, you could use any cylinderical object other than a AAA battery, like a pencil.

works a treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users