Photo

3D printed Rainbow catches!

2 replies to this topic

#1 Just582

Just582

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

So, I have have access to a 30 thousand dollar 3d printer through my school. Most of the designing for the catch is done, but my computer can't render the final touches, so I can't show the rendering of it right now. (My computer runs the minecraft demo version at about 5 frames per second), so I have sent the program to my friend to render it for me. He will send me the image soon and I should be able to show you guys. (His computer can run minecraft with mods at 350+ frames per second. It's crazy fast.) The dimensions are slightly oversized so I can sand everything smooth cause 3d printers have a funky finish that I don't really like. It will also have a spring guide to keep the edges of the spring from getting inbetween the plunger rod and the plunger rod guide. It also has holes already positioned for drilling. The holes are a little bit smaller than a 7/64 bit so you can tap the holes nicely. I will be finalizing the design and getting the renders up in a day or two and should have prototypes in a week and a half. If anyone is interested, I might post a few on eBay.

Edited by Just582, 10 August 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

You shouldn't build any more until you've got the prototype and are sure it will hold up through repeated firing in a war situation. I'm talking send it to someone who wars a lot and have then stress test the part. Just because it works a few times in your basement or back yard doesn't mean it's not going to break outside. Only after its been tested fully should you even think about brining a 3d printed product like that to the market. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of angry customers.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Tell you what...hold off on posting anything until you have something tangible to show us. Closed.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users