Photo

Troubleshooting singled longshot

16 replies to this topic

#1 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Okay, I just completed my singled longshot. It has the stock, big bad bow, and nitefinder springs in it. It has a 100% seal. Im using about 8 1/2 or 9 inches of cpvc for a barrel. Yet it only shoots about 60 feet. Does anyone have any idea why its not performing very well?
Posted Image

#2 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Did you regrease the PH and PT?
I like bacon.

#3 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Did you regrease the PH and PT?

With fresh lithium grease. Im thinking maybe its the barrel, but i'm not sure.

#4 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

With fresh lithium grease. Im thinking maybe its the barrel, but i'm not sure.

How's your dart fit then?
I like bacon.

#5 xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

What darts are you using?

#6 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

How's your dart fit then?

Its a pretty tight fit with any stock darts. I use frost king foam and some of my stefans have an easy slide in fit while others are not quite a twist fit.

#7 Alfatrooper

Alfatrooper

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

How is your connection between the barrel and your tee? Make shore there is a lot of barrel exposed so the two parts have a perfect seal.

See you on the field, Alfatrooper                                                                                             My YouTube

#8 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Its a pretty tight fit with any stock darts. I use frost king foam and some of my stefans have an easy slide in fit while others are not quite a twist fit.

That's probably why. You need a kind of tight fit with springers. You should probably find some different foam that has a nice fit in your CPVC.
I like bacon.

#9 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

How is your connection between the barrel and your tee? Make shore there is a lot of barrel exposed so the two parts have a perfect seal.

If I hold my finger over the end of the barrel and fire it has a perfect seal.

#10 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

That's probably why. You need a kind of tight fit with springers. You should probably find some different foam that has a nice fit in your CPVC.

All three dart styles I said before get roughly the same ranges.

#11 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

All three dart styles I said before get roughly the same ranges.

Huh... Maybe you should up your spring combo.
I like bacon.

#12 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Im not sure what else to add. Ill try playing around with the barrel. But I might just have the worst luck in the world.

#13 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Where are your darts loading? If they're loading in front of your PVC Tee that you're using for a handle then your barrel length might be too long. Also make sure your springs aren't binding on each other and thus giving you a lower effective spring rate.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#14 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

I switched out the barrel with about 12 inches of I think polyester tubing. All I know is it's clear and looser than cpvc and tighter than petg. At the war I went to they thought it was polyester. Anyway, it seems to be getting better ranges than before. But ill do a little more testing tomorrow in the daylight. I dont believe the springs are binding. They are all progressivly smaller and just slip into the next bigger one.

#15 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I had the same thing happen to my singled longshot. At first, it only got about 65-75 ft. instead of the 100-115ft. I had expected. I added a much stronger spring and re-did the seal of the bottom of the bolt to the inside of the plunger since my measurements were wrong. This did not let the bolt return far enough to seal with the top of the plunger tube, letting air escape. Once fixed, my longshot shot easily over 100ft. (it still doesn't shoot streamlines due to too much friction in the barrel and not enough air volume) Also, your paint job and stock integration are awesome and I was glad I could see them at the war.

#16 sodizzle3113

sodizzle3113

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

Is your handle filled or is it just a ton of dead space?

#17 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

How long is your barrel? I know that when I was modding my quadshot, it was hitting mediocre ranges until I lengthened the barrels. Just that one change brought it from low 60's to high 90's.

I would guess that about nine or ten inches of cpvc would work well, but I really have no idea what your dart fit is like.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users