Iron Man Nerf Arc FX Mod

Trigger move and soon Vortex discs

5 replies to this topic

#1 Discy

Discy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

I saw a simple mod on NerfHaven a few days ago using the Iron Man Arc FX, and I decided to take it a step further.
I started with this 20 dollar toy:

Posted Image

And I did the voltage increase recommended by Buffdaddy

Posted Image

Then I got a little creative, I wanted to replace the on/off trigger with a pressure switch so it would come on with a trigger pull.
Lucky for me there was already a pressure switch underneath the hopper lid. So I cut out the on/off switch from the wiring and moved all the wiring above the motor and into the trigger assembly.

Posted Image

This required me to drill a hole down the plastic into the trigger handle, but it was easy and there is not much vital you can hit in there.

Then I glued the pressure switch like so. Now a half pull of the trigger will start the motor and a full pull will fire the disc.
Posted Image

Now that it is all assembled again, I can fire off five discs in 3 seconds, averaging 30 feet. If I give the motor a quarter second to rev up, it shoots roughly 45 feet. I like that it is truly one handed now, no need to switch it on with your other hand.

Next I plan on boring out the barrel so it can fit the Vortex discs, and if I have time, add a light for glow in the dark discs.
I promise to post an action video when I have it firing the Vortex discs.

#2 Apollo441

Apollo441

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Love it!, someone gave my nephew one and I've wanted to mod it for him, he is 5.. not sure how well that will go down

#3 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

That would actually be a pretty effective panic blaster. Can you wear that and still hold another blaster? You might want to compare the weight of a vortex disc to the pure foam ones before doing anything too crazy. I'm thinking the vortex discs might be a bit heavier - affecting flight potential and range.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#4 Discy

Discy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

That would actually be a pretty effective panic blaster. Can you wear that and still hold another blaster? You might want to compare the weight of a vortex disc to the pure foam ones before doing anything too crazy. I'm thinking the vortex discs might be a bit heavier - affecting flight potential and range.

The vortex disc is heavier, I am sure that it will lower the range a bit. I still think it should fly 30-40 feet though, which is still effective in some situations. I have tried wearing it and holding another blaster and it is inconvenient at best. But it is perfect for dual wealding, I am a lefty so I would have my main blaster in my left hand and this in my right.

#5 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Neat improvement!

I think I've stated elsewhere, the current slot is both too wide and too low for Vortex ammo. So you'll have to redo the slot, add a spacer, and move/replace/widen the idler wheel.

I haven't touched mine in a while; I'll have to try this. I hope your next effort works!

#6 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

This is actually quite a cool and practical mod for this blaster. I must wonder though, is there room for integration in the shell? I think adding a long range blaster to this might make it more functional without having to deal with having a second gun in your other hand.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users