Part 1 Very extensive and detailed.

9 replies to this topic

#1 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

OK,

Here's the first half of my admittedly long and drawn out video write up that I made for our brass breach kit we developed for the Elite Alpha Trooper.

I've cut and trimmed it everywhere, but the detail needs to be there for people who want to do this mod.

Of course I have to do range testing, but it's raining heavily where I am at the moment and the family won't come out in the weather to film me shooting Nerf blasters.

What I can say is this thing is firing shots well in excess of 100 feet, slightly angled, fired from chest height. Easily, regularly.

I am being careful and conservative in my statement there, video and tape measure will show the exact distances.

Ebays got me hobbled for some reason at the moment and I can't do any new listings anyway, so I think I'll get the range test video up before I list the kit anyway.

It fires some darts better than others, but chambers them all and fires them all the same.

Anyway, here's the first half for your consideration:

Please excuse my funny accent, I'm one of those foreign types.

Edited by ozn rfnerd, 20 July 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#2 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I finally found the time to actually sit down and watch your whole video. Some of the stuff is kind of obvious things that have been done before for the raider/alpha trooper/recon with brass barrels, but you have a couple nifty new techniques too.

Unfortunately, no one here is going to see those because they're stuck in 15 minutes of video.

In the future, provide some pictures and a short written description at each step so people can go through it at their own pace (reading thoroughly, skimming, pictures only, etc) and you'll get a lot more replies. It will also be easier to search for your writeup since web crawlers current still do not index video contents.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#3 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I finally found the time to actually sit down and watch your whole video. Some of the stuff is kind of obvious things that have been done before for the raider/alpha trooper/recon with brass barrels, but you have a couple nifty new techniques too.

Unfortunately, no one here is going to see those because they're stuck in 15 minutes of video.

In the future, provide some pictures and a short written description at each step so people can go through it at their own pace (reading thoroughly, skimming, pictures only, etc) and you'll get a lot more replies. It will also be easier to search for your writeup since web crawlers current still do not index video contents.

Yes, it is a heavy video.

I realize that it does include some basics that should be "knowns" already, but in order for people to successfully install my product I thought it worthwhile to revise them.

I'll be honest mate, I'm not that experienced when it comes to "web crawlers", etc.

I'm not really chasing hits/views/replies, it's really meant as instructions for those who buy my product, but people who want to use it for ideas to do their own thing are welcome to it.

But yes, I get it, it may well lose the attention of some due to its length and depth.

Here's part 2, by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6WdhuLNQk

#4 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

This is quite interesting to watch, I find it nice to see a video of a brass breech compared to the many different image-based writeups.

Also, you said at one point that this was all based around the elite dart, but then you said it would require stefan clips. Could you clarify this?

I actually just brassed my EAT today(adapted from Blue's writeup). I'm not quite sure, but I'm getting ranges just above what it got stock. I assume I'm not using a proper spring, so I may have to purchase the spring pack from you.

For those who are impatient such as myself, would superglue work in replacement of the 3 day epoxy? Did you try or would you advise reinforcing the catch with epoxy putty?

Edited by ShaNayNay, 21 July 2013 - 10:17 PM.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#5 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

This is quite interesting to watch, I find it nice to see a video of a brass breech compared to the many different image-based writeups.

Also, you said at one point that this was all based around the elite dart, but then you said it would require stefan clips. Could you clarify this?

I actually just brassed my EAT today(adapted from Blue's writeup). I'm not quite sure, but I'm getting ranges just above what it got stock. I assume I'm not using a proper spring, so I may have to purchase the spring pack from you.

For those who are impatient such as myself, would superglue work in replacement of the 3 day epoxy? Did you try or would you advise reinforcing the catch with epoxy putty?

Thanks very much.

I just find I can show so much more with video, it's a real demonstration.

People can always pause and go back over things as often as they want.

Of course everyones got their own preferences in how they receive information, that's just my point of view.

In answer to your questions...

1. Good point about the Elite dart, I've clouded the point with my comment there. I based the tightness of the barrel/tightening rings around the diameter of the Elite dart, as it's the thinnest dart I have and the EAT comes with Elites. It will still chamber all types of foam that you can use with a 9/16" barrel.
Also, there may be rules for some of my potential customers wars that stipulate standard darts but allow them to be shortened.
Full length dart brass breeches are notorious for chopping darts and sometimes being damaged as a result, my breech gets much less jams/chops and isn't damaged by them at all.
I realize that making a stefan only breech will greatly reduce the number of people that will buy my kit, but it had to be solid and reliable and I included the clip conversion parts in the (soon to be listed) kit.

2. If you have brass breeched your blaster, you need a heavier spring. There are plenty of springs for that model available, including mine. You should be getting over 100 feet easy.

3. Superglue will not work, it will be a screwup if you just use that. Epoxy putty doesn't seem so common in Oz, but plenty of guys use it for that purpose in the US so I'm sure it would be fine.
I basically merge all the parts in my kit onto one file and print. 5 1/2 hours later I have a kit, it's just easier that way for me and probably cheaper as I don't need a different epoxy.

There you go mate, hope that helps.

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm not really chasing hits/views/replies, it's really meant as instructions for those who buy my product, but people who want to use it for ideas to do their own thing are welcome to it.

It's not about "chasing hits", it's about making sure the information stays accessible. Without a text outline of what's going on in the video, this thread won't come up in searches, limiting its visibility and usefulness. NH is about building a catalog of information that can be used in creative ways. This won't happen if people can't find it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

It's not about "chasing hits", it's about making sure the information stays accessible. Without a text outline of what's going on in the video, this thread won't come up in searches, limiting its visibility and usefulness. NH is about building a catalog of information that can be used in creative ways. This won't happen if people can't find it.

OK mate, sorry about that.

I just don't have the time or even ability to type up all that information in writing.

If my post breaks the rules or something, please delete it.

#8 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Reviving an old thread here, but I'm assuming that'll be OK due to it being relevant content (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I had trouble with getting consistent shots out of my brass breech EAT, with some shots hitting out of the park and others falling out of the end of the barrel.

I over thought it and went into my plunger seal, o rings, pusher depth, tightening rings, etc.

Then I went back to darts and sourced thicker foam that was a snug fit in 9/16" brass and the results were much better.

I had hoped to make it compatible with cut down stock darts, but that's just not possible for a number of reasons.

This is not my official range testing, just a trial while away camping.

I made the mistake of using my darts heavily before the testing video, as my kids wanted to play with the blasters shooting targets, each other, etc.

With new darts they were all dropping very close to each other in the 110-130' range, with the longest shot being 147' (angled).

Flat shots came in at 80-100'.

I'm not really into dart smithing, but I'm fairly confidant that with the right load 150' should be possible (angled).

Loading and cocking action is sweet.

This model can have issues with latching, and I had a little bit of that in the start but it stopped doing it and works fine. I'd guess that you'd need to be careful not to get any grease, etc on the catch plate.

Not long to release now, but of course my printer has decided to play up this week. No big drama, nothing a service/clean/calibration won't fix.

Anyway...here it is.

#9 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Not long to release now.

How long until these kits are for sale?
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#10 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

How long until these kits are for sale?

Another couple of weeks hopefully.

Just waiting for some laser cut parts (we're doing a whole new catch plate instead of all the little pieces in the video) and I'll do a proper range test.

We feel we've found the optimum barrel length and hope to exceed the distances in the video above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users