Photo

Issues with the OMW spring for the E.A.T.

I think this thing is cursed.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

OK, originally I remember modding this thing I had priming issues with it because I messed up the breech. After fixing it and it working I put a 5kg OMW spring in it (same one for the Retaliator and Rampage) And now the damn thing is either 1) Not priming at all or 2) The catch won't hold.

Now I am going off my original Alpha Trooper, which outside of A/R removal, has just a 5kg spring in it and the thing works fine. So I applied the same logic to this thing. I haven't had a chance to re-open it ( I got sick over the weekend) and I'm worried that the spring is too strong for the Catch. Am I boned until OMW puts out a EAT metal catch? Or is there something I am missing. I've seriously done nothing to it other than the spring swap since I last modded it.

Edited by Griever 2112, 15 July 2013 - 09:02 AM.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#2 andrewp413

andrewp413

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

How strong is your catch spring? The elite catch material is pretty tough so you only have to upgrade the catch spring. For it not priming back all the way, you should put one layer of craft foam in the center of the plunger head and see I that works. Also, it might be because your priming rod is to weak to handle the 5k spring.

#3 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

How strong is your catch spring? The elite catch material is pretty tough so you only have to upgrade the catch spring. For it not priming back all the way, you should put one layer of craft foam in the center of the plunger head and see I that works. Also, it might be because your priming rod is to weak to handle the 5k spring.

I had already upped the catch spring after my first mod job on it. Unless Nerf cheaped out more on materials, it should handle a 5kg spring because that is what my original AT has, and it works fine.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#4 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I experienced the same thing; haven't cared enough to look into it since though.

#5 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Could the new spring at full compression be too big to allow the catch notch to reach the catch plate?
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#6 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

We had this problem immediately when developing our spring for the EAT.

If you have a look at the catch plate it's fairly thin at the sides, and runs quite a light catch spring.

This is definitely the cause of it unlatching with a heavier main spring.

When we changed to a heavier catch spring it removed the unlatching problem, but the trigger felt unprecise and didn't always release the catch due to the catch plate compressing/flexing under the heavier catch spring.

We made a set of little 3D printed blocks that filled every hollow part of the catch plate and braced the 2 flimsy parts at the side, that were glued in with 3 day super strength expoxy.

This removed all dramas with latching/releasing.

After that, we also noticed a "crunchy" sensation when cocking the blaster on the compression stroke.

This seemed to be caused by the new heavier spring misaligning with the plunger rod as it drew back, and occasionally jammed (wouldn't cock).

We made a little plate with a tapered center that went into the housing at the rear end of the spring which guide both spring and plunger into their correct positions.

We now have the EAT running quite a heavy spring that cocks/latches/releases perfectly.

We'll have that little kit up by the end of the week, hopefully, otherwise look at doing something yourself to those parts and you'll get a better result from your EAT.

Hope that helps,

#7 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I am using a 7kg spring, with a doubled/nested catch spring. Haven't had any issues since I doubled it.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#8 2TAGS

2TAGS

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Using a 5kg in mine with the stock catch spring . I've had zero issues

#9 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the assist guys. I think I may have also found part of my issue. The OMW spring obviously has more coils in it, but it is also about a coil and a half bigger than the stock spring. So like the breech ring, I think the issue is that little bit of extra. I think if I knock off that extra coil I will be OK. The thing already has a brand new OMW 2x catch in it. So it should have the strength.

@ozn_rfherd, that sounds really cool but what would the cost be and shipping stateside? I would love to give something new a shot but for the parts described I don't think it would be very beneficial economically (depending on your answer, I maybe wrong)

My Youtube Page

#10 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Thanks for all the assist guys. I think I may have also found part of my issue. The OMW spring obviously has more coils in it, but it is also about a coil and a half bigger than the stock spring. So like the breech ring, I think the issue is that little bit of extra. I think if I knock off that extra coil I will be OK. The thing already has a brand new OMW 2x catch in it. So it should have the strength.

@ozn_rfherd, that sounds really cool but what would the cost be and shipping stateside? I would love to give something new a shot but for the parts described I don't think it would be very beneficial economically (depending on your answer, I maybe wrong)

Mate,

It does cost to ship stateside, but not as bad as shipping out of the states that's for sure.

I can get a 500gram satchel to the states for about 20 pacific pesos ($AUD), and for the first time in a long time the exchange rate is in your favor.

Where we can help is with combined shipping, as we are pretty agreeable that way.

I'm just not so sure cutting coils off your spring is desirable...after all it is an OMW product designed for the purpose, not something from the hardware shop.

What do you mean by "a coil and a half bigger", length?

#11 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Mate,

It does cost to ship stateside, but not as bad as shipping out of the states that's for sure.

I can get a 500gram satchel to the states for about 20 pacific pesos ($AUD), and for the first time in a long time the exchange rate is in your favor.

Where we can help is with combined shipping, as we are pretty agreeable that way.

I'm just not so sure cutting coils off your spring is desirable...after all it is an OMW product designed for the purpose, not something from the hardware shop.

What do you mean by "a coil and a half bigger", length?

Well at least that is goof to know now.

Regarding the spring. if you take the stock spring and the OMW and stand then up next to each other the OMW is slightly bigger than the stock spring. But it is just by the last flat coil and a bit of the one going into it. I'll try yo take proper measurements and a pic to explain it better.

My Youtube Page

#12 andrewp413

andrewp413

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Instead of getting expensive 3d printed parts from overseas try filling in the weak parts of the catch with epoxy putty? Also, have you tried the padding on the plunger head yet?

#13 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I didn't get a chance yet because I need new putty. But I did measure the springs the stock spring and the OMW the stock measures 3&7/8 inches the OmW measures and even 4 inches.

My Youtube Page

#14 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Try nesting the original spring with the OMW catch spring.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#15 norikaeru

norikaeru

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

My gun had the same symptoms with the only thing different from stock being the omw spring. I added a few thin layers of tape to the top of the blaster where the catch spring hit, since it was stock and I thought that may be the issue. Sure enough it now acts like stock but with the added boost of the omw spring. Since you already have a better catch spring I don't know if this will help you at all but as I found this thread having the same symptoms this may help someone else.

#16 turtle192

turtle192

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I myself do not have an E.A.T.. However, I did experience such problems when i was trying to modify my Rampage with a 5 kg OMW spring. For some reason the blaster would not catch. For one thing, I recommend you grease the internals significantly, for me it helped quite a bit. In addition, a quick prime also helps. For means of the blaster's priming getting stuck, I would check to make sure that all your internals are aligned just to make sure something isn't restricting your priming mech when you pull.

Hope you get it fixed soon!

#17 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

After assembling 6 of these with my new kit, I had a drama with one unlatching today even with a heavy latch spring.

No sign of damage/slipping on the catch plate, I cleaned off any grease and rotated the plunger 90 degrees so as to allow it to "grip", but no good.

I ended up lightly filing the flat surface of the catch plate where it meets the trigger arm mechanism (fair description??) and it all came good.

The flat surface under the triangular bit, I probably only remove 0.2-0.5mm, was all it needed.

I used a large flat smooth file and made sure to file the surface very flat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users