Photo

Artic Camo :: Nite Finder

30 replies to this topic

#1 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:52 AM

I originally painted this gun for the "paintjob contest" on NerfHQ, seen here. Anyways, I tried to paint this gun so it would look worn, as if it had "battle scars", if you will. I also tried to achieve an artic camo look with white, gray, and black tones. Enjoi, and please give feedback.

Posted Image
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#2 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

Nice job. How did you do that paint job...spray-paint?
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#3 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

I think he uses airbrushes.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#4 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

Great job, Grinch.

I really needa get an airbrush. Spraypaint just doesn't work very well.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#5 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:27 AM

An airbrush... How much do they cost?
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#6 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

^_^

All of that is spraypaint. White, Black, and Gray spraypaint. I'm just that good.

I know you've all seen my TTS...

Posted Image

That is done with airbrush. I use a Badger 200NH.

Posted Image
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:02 AM

If you're going to get an airbrush, plan to spend around $100 or you're better off just using spray paint. The cheap airbrushes are really bad.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:02 AM

Very nice. I like the look of the TTG better. I guess the forest camo is more appealing to me. Anyway, great job on your guns.

Edited by CustomSnake202, 25 June 2004 - 11:03 AM.

#9 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:10 AM

Nice job. I've been using acrylic paint for mine. Takes a lot longer, but it's worth it if you want a solid color with a certain symbol or something. It'll come off easily though, that's why I use a clear crystal glaze spray as a top coat, makes them shinny, and if you do it right, it looks like it was made that color/design.
Go Hokies!

#10 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

That doesnt look like arctic camo at all, It looks like a fading black, which is really nice, but your colors are a bit too mixed up for it to be arctic camo.

THIRST
ko

#11 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:30 PM

I think it would look alot better if you left the black parts of the NF black.

Edited by NinjZ, 25 June 2004 - 06:30 PM.

#12 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:13 AM

If you're going to get an airbrush, plan to spend around $100 or you're better off just using spray paint. The cheap airbrushes are really bad.

Sadly, I learned that one the hard way. Just out of curiosity, besides using the Badger 200NH, does anyone have some other recommendations on airbrushes?

Good job with the painting, Grinch. Your Nerf guns look really kickass!
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#13 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:16 AM

Thanks!

To be honest, I could've done a better job. I didn't feel like mixing the paint and everything...airbrushes ain't that easy. People think it's a simple matter of pouring paint in and spraying, but you also have to mix it with airbrush thinner. Then, you have to fine a power source of compressed air, which is either a $200 air compressor or a can of "Propel" airbrush compressed air.

Oroku_Saki, listen. You may see things in the store that look like airbrushes, but look for the words "spray gun". The look like airbrushes, but they suck. They have one layer of paint in one coarse/fine quality. With my airbrush (the 200NH), you have to set it to either a fine spray or a coarse spray depending on your project (which is a good thing, because it lets you control the amount of paint coming out).

Overall, airbrushes are NOT cheap. They're a huge investment, and it takes quite some time to learn how to work them.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:07 AM

Sadly, I learned that one the hard way. Just out of curiosity, besides using the Badger 200NH, does anyone have some other recommendations on airbrushes?

As did I.

I don't own one, but have heard from several people that the Aztek Metal is very nice. Don't pay too much attention to the MSRP, I've seen the wood-box super package for around $140 now and then. Of course you'd need a $100 compressor on top of that...

The kit comes with 9 nozzles and a bunch of paint cups.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#15 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:39 AM

I just did the sweetest paint job of my life in my NF and it took me two days. I would post it but I can't, no host...
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#16 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:49 AM

www.photobucket.com, it's common sense.

Nice job Grinch, I wouldn't say arctic camo but definitely awesome.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#17 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

You don't need an airbrush for a decent paintjob. No, that's not an Anno, either...just spraypaint, and a flat clearcoat.

I do have a nice stripped/polished marker, if anyone would care to see...it had this ugly blue Anno on it.

Masking tape + Spraypaint = Decent Job

Just be sure to use either a flat or glossy clearcoat to protect the paint, because that stuff can peel right off in extended use.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#18 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:41 PM

I'm going to have to agree that spray paint can do the trick. I just did this for my friends birthday.
Posted Image
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#19 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:44 PM

Not bad.

I have used spraypaint before, but I started using an airbrush recently. You can get way more control, and can do a lot more with an airbrush than using spraypaint. The airbrush I currently use is one of the cheaper Badger single-action brushes, (model 250, I think) but in my opinion, the brush sucks, which is why I am currently looking to upgrade. Also, I have been using cans of propel for the air, but am going to buy a compressor soon, because they are much better to use. Also, instead of some of the more expensive outlets, I have found that eBay has several airbrushes and compressors for way cheaper. (I have found compressors for as low as about 30 bucks sometimes)

Thanks for the tips everyone. I admit, I am still a beginner when it comes to painting, but what do some of you guys use to mask certain areas of what you are painting? I have used tagboard (cut into stencils) and masking tape for some of my projects. Any other ideas?
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#20 Katachi

Katachi

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:16 PM

www.photobucket.com, it's common sense.

Nice job Grinch, I wouldn't say arctic camo but definitely awesome.

yeah, not arctic camo, but still I nice looking gun. Especially the drybrush weathering. Nice touch. Anyone else painting guns? I have a ton of paints left over from a commission I finished up this weekend, so I'll probably paint up a Tech Target.
"If I want something pretty, Ill paint a picuture. Courtesy of Shortshit" -THIRST

#21 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:44 AM

Just be sure to use either a flat or glossy clearcoat to protect the paint, because that stuff can peel right off in extended use.

Do you have any recommendations for a good clear coating (in the form of spray paint), I just finished my NF? Also if part of the gun is metallic/glossy and part is flat, if i put a clear flat coating on the whole thing will it take away the metallic paints glossyness? (yes I know it's not a word)
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#22 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:09 PM

Nice job Haze!!! THat is one nice looking Nf.

--==Moose==--
^^^..^^^

#23 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:42 AM

I originally painted this gun for the "paintjob contest" on NerfHQ, seen here. Anyways, I tried to paint this gun so it would look worn, as if it had "battle scars", if you will. I also tried to achieve an artic camo look with white, gray, and black tones. Enjoi, and please give feedback.

Posted Image

how did you make the barrel :P
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#24 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:44 AM

I did the same thing. 9/16" brass inside 1/2" PVC. Instructions here.
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#25 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

Simple:

-Take some 1/2" Schd. 80 PVC, and cut it down to about 2-3 inches.

-Cut one end at about a 30 degree angle, like Grinch did.

-Drill in some fake porting holes, either patterned or randomly.

-Adhere it to the stock barrel.

-Add some brass or PETG in the PVC/stock barrel.

Poof.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users