Photo

possible balls for a homeade

8 replies to this topic

#1 ultranewt

ultranewt

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

I took a stroll through target and i found some practice golf balls, they have a non-pours exterior and they are dimpled, and have similar squishyness to green ballistic balls. I want to ask you guys if you think these are safe for wars or If the dimples will make these unusable. And also i wanted inform people of these balls' presence. sorry about the blur my phonecam has a bad shutter speed

Posted Image

Edited by ultranewt, 01 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#2 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I've seen a number of people use them. They work quite well in big airguns, particularly when you shotgun load a bunch of them in some PVC and cram darts between the balls. Makes for a really nice short-range spread. I'm pretty sure most people use them with 1.5" Sch. 40 PVC, which should give you a fairly tight fit.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#3 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Dimples are supposed to help accuracy. They shouldn't be that problematic with a barrel seal.

#4 ultranewt

ultranewt

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Dimples are supposed to help accuracy. They shouldn't be that problematic with a barrel seal.

cool, if i can find a proper gasket, i plan to make something like the reactor to shoot these

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Practice golf balls have made the rounds a few times, but always the smooth ones. They seem to vary a bit in size between brands (which can make finding a barrel a challenge), so let us know if you give this variety a go and how they fit, and in what.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Ivan S

Ivan S

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I first tried a different brand of practice golf ball with 1.5" sch40 and they didn't perform very well, but when I switched to thinwall 1.25" which has a slightly smaller ID I saw a big improvement. It might be worth trying both and seeing which works best with yours.

Edit: As far as firing devices go, high volume air guns are good, as well as TheSilentRebel's mantasnap: http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=320504

Edited by Ivan S, 03 July 2013 - 12:52 AM.

You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've used 1.25" sanitary couplers in the past. Some kinds have a ring in the center which acts like the retaining ring in a Nerf ball blaster. Balls don't seem to work well with a barrel, but prefer something to hold them back until firing pressure can be reached.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I've been using yellow practice golf balls in 1.5 pvc without a problem for a while. I usually pick mine up at target. Looks like they might've changed brands or packaging. You should be fine with just 1.5 pvc. Big blasts and Jobars/cobras get the job done. Particularly effective if you utilize them as Roboman explained. 6-7 in. barrels give you enough room to load two balls with a mess of darts in between.

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

These dimpled yellow balls are typically made of polyurethane foam, with a mass of 12g. This compares to 5g for Nerf balls and 4g for most smooth practice balls. I like them a lot in kinetic blasters like the Cyclotron, Motorized Ballzooka, Ripsaw and Buzzsaw. They do not work worth a damn in any stock plungered blaster, such as the Reactor, Ballzooka, Master Blaster, etc. I have used them in homemade attachments from Titans and Roto-Rockets with great success. My favorite is the Sch 80 1.25" Slip to 3/4" Female NPT fitting on the end of the Roto-Rocket. Distances in the 100-120 Feet range, far longer than the apparent maximum of 65 feet that Nerf balls will fly, regardless of launch force.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users