How to fix torn Magstrike air-bladder

15 replies to this topic

#1 Obsidian

Obsidian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Hi Guys,
Got my boy a new Magstrike which worked for 1-day and then the rubber bladder which I guess was old, blew up...
Tried to glue it, glue rubber on the fissure, etc... but nothing holds as the pressure is too high...
Any ideas on how to replace? fix? with what?

Thanks,
Asaf

A picture: http://imm.io/1b0pn

Edited by Obsidian, 03 July 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#2 LinkMT

LinkMT

• Banned
  • 91 posts
  • State:Marshall Islands

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Damn, that's a large burst. The issue with those expanding bladders is that when you have a huge split in it like that and you seal it up with certain types of glue, as the bladder expands, the glue begins to crack and eventually have no purpose. I'm honestly not at all an expert with air blasters, especially magstrikes, but I would recommend either plumbers goop or CA glue, or even multiple coats of each. Tell me if i helped!!

Edited by LinkMT, 03 July 2013 - 08:20 AM.

JACK OFF TOEFUCK REVEREND ASS CHUNK

#3 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Honestly, it might be more worth your time to just buy a new magstrike/bladder. BUT if you really wanted to try and repair this one, I would recommend putting a sleeve (or 2) of innertubing over the bladder after you have applied your choice of glue to it. This will have positive effects on ranges and pressures, but will also act as a nice scab over the split.

#4 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have a stock magstrike that I can gut for the bladder if you want to buy it. Replacing the bladder at this point is your best option.

Edited by cheerios, 03 July 2013 - 08:50 AM.

22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#5 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Don't use ca (superglue). It will cause the rubber to get hard and plasticy. I honestly think you're sunk, but Phree's suggestion is probably your best bet to repair without replacing. Alternatively, McMaster might have buna-n rubber tubes of the right size you can buy to replace the bladder, but that might end up costing more than just getting a new magstrike.

#6 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I don't think any repair will ever get a torn bladder holding pressure again. No adhesive has the inherent stretch necessary. That bladder is toast.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#7 Obsidian

Obsidian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

I have a stock magstrike that I can gut for the bladder if you want to buy it. Replacing the bladder at this point is your best option.

Thanks...are they in good shape? How much would it cost?

#8 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I have a good condition magstrike bladder $6 shipped.

Woops didn't see you are in Israel. I can do $3+shipping.

Edited by hoongfu, 03 July 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#9 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Aside from buying a 'Magstrike' bladder. Rubber hose/tubes can be bought at some hardware stores. Usually in 4' or 5' lengths.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#10 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • State:California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Aside from buying a 'Magstrike' bladder. Rubber hose/tubes can be bought at some hardware stores. Usually in 4' or 5' lengths.

I ruptured the bladder on a cps 2000 (super soaker) once, and couldn't find anything like it at any local hardware store unfortunately.
I'd say you're best bet would just be too just buy a replacement bladder from one of the people offering it in this thread.

Edited by Mully, 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#11 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

While we're talking about it, specialty hose stores (not the common hardware stores) often sell latex tubing in various sizes. They are usable for bladder replacements. Might want to shop around in your country before you start shipping from the states.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#12 JPRoth1980

JPRoth1980

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://www.sscentral...memade/lrt.html

Honestly, this should give you everything you need to know. The parts you need can be ordered inexpensively through McMaster.

Of course, not as inexpensively as $3 plus shipping, but there's a lot more potential here.

#13 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

You can also use bike inner tube in the appropriate size and swap it for the Magstrike bladder. It doesn't seem like you're doing anything crazy so it will hold up to stock pressures fine.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#14 Craftsman

Craftsman

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure if you would want to put in the work, but you could stick a hard airtank in there with an OPRV. If you set the OPRV just right you can get of multiple clips with one fill.

Man keep finger on trigger receive painful finger bang!

Olde School Tacticool

All hail #YOLOStock!

I have taken a "break" from the hobby, but if you have anything crazy hit me up. I'm always interested in a challenge. Currently designing a nerf vehicle among other things.

#15 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm not sure if you would want to put in the work, but you could stick a hard airtank in there with an OPRV. If you set the OPRV just right you can get of multiple clips with one fill.

You would also need a regulator on it if you wanted consistent range on each shot. A drawback of hard tanks is that once the tank falls below the pressure needed to fire darts, the rest of the air in the tank is worthless. This is why air bladders are better for small applications, because they constrict as air flows out of them, and hence, maintain the same pressure until they are almost out of air. If you wanted to go with a setup like this, though, an external hard tank would be great. These are great hard tanks.

#16 Obsidian

Obsidian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thank you all guys.
I will try to find something locally and if not successful I will contact one of the sellers here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users