Dead Flywheel motors

10 replies to this topic

#1 Broadsword vltor

Broadsword vltor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

G'day Guys

As you all know, many people use higher voltage batteries to increase the ranges in their flywheel blasters, however most of the motors aren't designed to take a higher voltage. Just wondering how many people have had a motor break on them or if they know someone who's had a motor bugger up. If so, what batteries were they using and at what voltage? Just posting this as I cant find much on this forum or the internet about it. If anyone could post up a link with some info that would be great.

cheers

#2 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

People have experienced failures using Solarbotics RM2s with a 4s system. No idea what batteries.
I've also read of people burning out using a 3s LiPo system.

Based on specs, I would say RM2s are probably not meant to be run higher than 9v.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#3 Broadsword vltor

Broadsword vltor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

People have experienced failures using Solarbotics RM2s with a 4s system. No idea what batteries.
I've also read of people burning out using a 3s LiPo system.

Based on specs, I would say RM2s are probably not meant to be run higher than 9v.

Ok not to be rude, but I have no idea what you just said, i'm not that up there when it comes to technical terms of motors and stuff, basically I just want to know about the stryfe and Raven motors, anyway thanks for the reply.

Edited by Broadsword_vltor, 17 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#4 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Solarbotics RM2s have become a popular replacement motor for Stryfes and Rayvens.
I use Tamiya Mach Dash Pro Motors with a 1s LiPo.

LiPo = Lithium Polymer, different battery chemistry, higher current discharge and density than other battery types.
Trustfires are Li-Ion, I believe.
Other people also use NiMH and NiCd batteries. NiCd have good discharge rates too.
4s = 4 cell = 4 batteries. On a full charge, that's 16.8V.

I believe most people don't run stock Stryfes at more than 3s, using Ultrafires. I'm sure LiPo or NiCd or something would be fine, too, stock motors can't have that much current draw, even at stall.

Edited by azrael, 17 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Better Nerf By Science!

#5 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

I believe most people don't run stock Stryfes at more than 3s, using Ultrafires. I'm sure LiPo or NiCd or something would be fine, too, stock motors can't have that much current draw, even at stall.

I run 4 trustfires in my N-strike Rayven (stock motors), have for a few years without burning them out - granted I only rev it up just before firing and let off motors the instant I'm done. I also recharge the batteries after every war it sees use.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#6 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

I've never used aftermarket motors in my blasters before, but I almost always overclock the motors using standard alkaline batteries. I can't really speak for rechargeables, but I've found that the current in the alkalines I use is not high enough to do any short term damage. Granted, overclocking a motor in any way WILL shorten the lifespan of that motor in the long run, but I tend to go on the notion that it is current that will kill an electrical component before the voltage does.

Adhering to this mantra, one could easily reduce the current flowing through a motor by placing a resistor in parallel with said motor. This keeps voltage the same, but reduces current over the motor. Any physics 2 class will cover this, or I find hyperphysics to be an excellent tool in learning the topic. There are also numerous apps out there to estimate electrical flows as well.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#7 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

^Aeromech there's too much current at stall to be using a fixed resistor like that. The power dissipation would be immense.
Also, a motor will only take as much current as it's told. When you overvolt, you're making the motor want more current, that's the danger.

I run 4 trustfires in my N-strike Rayven (stock motors), have for a few years without burning them out - granted I only rev it up just before firing and let off motors the instant I'm done. I also recharge the batteries after every war it sees use.

Notice, I said stock Stryfes? I know plenty of people use 4s in other blasters haha.

Edited by azrael, 17 June 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Better Nerf By Science!

#8 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image

Even running between 6V alkalines and 7.2V 1000mAh R/C batteries, RM2 brushes were destroyed. They use copper brushes as opposed to carbon brushes.
Sorry for the picture quality, hard to get good macros with a coolpix S3000. Will try to get a higher res picture for documentation purposes later on.

In relation to orientation of the brushes in the picture, the left two are seen still in tact bur with black residue and extensive wear, wear as the right two brushes are much shorter and deteriorated at the point of contact to the commutator.

Edited by archangel24, 19 June 2013 - 09:49 AM.

QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#9 Pax

Pax

• FNG1 
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Considering this could it then be said that stock Rayven motors are more durable than stock Stryfe motors? From what I've found it seems to me that replacing the Stryfe motors with Rayven motors would allow for longer motor life if you decide to use 3 *fires while at the same time allowing the option of using a fourth cell with a lessened risk of burning out the motors in your blaster.

I'm considering replacing my Stryfe motors with a set of stock Rayven motors but I haven't read of anybody doing this.

#10 TheLastVulcaneer

TheLastVulcaneer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've never had a breakdown by higher voltage in older guns, like the stampede and the vulcan, and I can say I haven't had them yet in any new guns. But it sure doesn't sound right, some of them whir too loud and sound very unsatble.
Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLastVulcaneer
Blog:http://thenerfviewpioint.wordpress.com

#11 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Stampede and Vulcans use very different motors.
However, another reason people may not be running into issues is because they're upping the voltage supply, but not the current supply.
If you increase the supply voltage, the motor will demand more current. But the batteries many people use can't supply the current some motors want. Whether this is good or bad is relative, I suppose.

I'm pretty running a 4s system in a Rayven isn't a good idea if you something other than Trustfires. I have a friend who ran his with a 4s LiPo, a battery chemistry that CAN supply the current that the motors want at 16.8V, but this current proved to be too much, and the motors burnt out. It could have been just from jamming and burning them out, since I wasn't there, I don't know the exact specifics of when it broke down.
Now, people run 4s Trustfire systems in N-Strike Rayvens with no problem. But since you're not supplying the motors with the current they want, is it really performing better? Maybe it's revving a bit faster, but I doubt that the torque has increased at all, that's for sure.
Like I said, it's relative.
Better Nerf By Science!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users