You want a crossbow?

15 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:39 AM

Posted Image

This brings a whole new meaning to the term Nerf Crossbow. The ranges aren't great (40-50 feet flat with an arrow), but I'm currently working on giving it more power and to shoot Stefans. Unfortunately, it already takes 27 pounds of force to cock the thing, so I can't add too much more force. There is a stock for the thing, but it just gets in hte way. The bow is already 3.5 feet wide.

<EDIT>Ummm....the pic's just a little big<EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 23 June 2004 - 08:41 AM.

"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#2 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:35 AM

GOOD JOB! ;)

#3 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

JUST A LITTLE!!!

P.S. I find myself beimg sarcastic again...
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#4 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

That thing is borderline LARP.

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

I collect LARP videos from around the 'net if anyone's interested in such amusement as watching these creatures. I hope I'm the only one.

Edited by reversedracula, 23 June 2004 - 12:58 PM.

NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:28 PM

Oh my God, next time I'm on AIM - please send me some. PLEASE.

Those things make me laugh so hard my insides hurt.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

You'll have to take what links I can find from google or wait 'til I get back to school. I have a weird firewall/router thing here that impedes transfers on AIM. Also, my wireless can't handle huge files, sadly. I'm not computer savvy enough and don't care enough to change this.
NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#7 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

lol ive seen that lighteningbolt shiat!
~SS

#8 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Oh christ that's funny!

VACC

#9 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

I cant see the video but I saw it be for... someone here posted it. Anyway, nice job. What did you make the cord with?
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#10 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:56 PM

A shitload of rubberbands. Here's the math(slightly confusing): two strands of seven groups of three red bands=42, four strands of seven green rubberbands=28. 42+28=70 rubberbands. I'm going to add two more of the seven-three grouped strands in order to give it more power. Unfortunately, it just got left out in the rain, so there may be an entire cord replacement, which would then be replaced with three bungee cords, giving the sucker an estimated 75 pound draw weight. That may require a metal trigger and receiver assembly.

I added the stock and battle tested it today. I was able to get off rougghly 1.5 shots per second(took 3 seconds to shoot 2 arrows), so the RoF isn't too bad. Not as good as my NF, but I still one a few rounds of free for all.

Silly newb-style question but, what is LARPing anyway?

#11 Katachi

Katachi

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:55 PM

That looks like a fun project! :wacko: I'm sure there's some LARPers who'd be interested in that. I had a few ask me to make them nerf shooting crossbows, but then the Van Hellsing one came out and I said "just go buy that. it'll work for what you're doing".

That video is pretty funny. Of course, if someone could get vids of the LOTR Ringgame..... they don't even have physical combat in that, it's all dialogue based combat. I read a girl's LJ where she documented a weekend playing. *yawn* BORING. Guess it really is Nerf or Nothing :blink:
"If I want something pretty, Ill paint a picuture. Courtesy of Shortshit" -THIRST

#12 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:34 PM

What's interesting is that I actually made some Nerf-tipped bolts for a 150-pound crossbow. Looks like I may have to buy one of those and make a few more bolts if I want to keep a crossbow. The one that is pictured above is very high maintenance. After about every twenty shots four to five rubberbands need replacing, which is very hard to do how I have the thing set up.

#13 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

What's interesting is that I actually made some Nerf-tipped bolts for a 150-pound crossbow. Looks like I may have to buy one of those and make a few more bolts if I want to keep a crossbow. The one that is pictured above is very high maintenance. After about every twenty shots four to five rubberbands need replacing, which is very hard to do how I have the thing set up.

Then the bungee cords will really make a difference. Really with the 75lbs. pull.
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#14 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

I've seen that video, maybe it was Newgrounds or something. Same video, but whenever the guy "shot" a lightnight bolt, cheesy special effects were added and a lightning bolt flew out of his hands.
^_^
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#15 jpshyboi9

jpshyboi9

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:38 PM

why not make a catapult like crossbow.

The same idea that you made just make it longer and use a bungy cord with a vise grip to hold it when you pull it back.

My conson made one its a little heave but it shoots potatoes up to 75 feet.

#16 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:10 PM

Silly newb-style question but, what is LARPing anyway?

LARP is Live Action Role Playing. In other words, it's like playing a tabletop RPG (Dungeons and Dragons, Shadow Run, Battletech, ect.), and making it into a real world game. Usually, it's quite geeky, and there is often a "no physical contact rule".

That video has been made fun of across the Net. Even us Paintballers can't resist that one.

A kid once said LARP at one of our gaming sessions. He was thrown out for the day.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users