Photo

Hopper problems with my modded Big Bad Bow

Takes several shots before a dart goes through the barrel.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Some Guy

Some Guy

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Recently, I had been wanting to make a hopper for my Big Bad Bow. When I saw that I could only get 1/2" wyes on the internet I tried an alternative by creating one.

My 'wye' is a 1/2" PVC Tee with the top cut off, and glued to it is a 3" segment of 3/4" PVC that stands on a 45 deg. angle with a 1 1/2" segment of 1/2" PVC pounded into it that is also cut at the same angle. The rest of the space in the 3/4" PVC is reamed out to fit a hopper clip.
The barrel is about 4 1/2" of 1/2" CPVC which is inside of 1/2" PVC and is reamed out really well at the end that goes in the wye.

I have tested shooting it with my modded 3B using 1.25" elite darts and 1.25" headless + stemless streamlines. When using these darts and the 3B with the hopper, it has a hard time getting the dart to clog the hole in the barrel, and takes several shots before it exits the barrel. It will not get near the ranges it does singled.
I hear that 3Bs are not able to use hoppers but I seen a user with an overhauled 3B was using one on his, and since my hopper works really well (at least as a automatic blow gun), either the darts I'm using or my 3B is not usable for hoppers.

My 3B has 3 springs in it(stock spring, stretched Stampede spring, and some really strong spring I stretched), AR removal, aluminum reinforced ring, and the white ring from the AR inside of it is taped to the plunger casing with the front casing jammed onto the tape(this basically made it air tight).

What do you think the problem is and what might be the solution?

~SG
Proud maker of Fools Gold; 3rd and last rebuild of the famous FAR.

#2 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hoppers don't work well on Big Bad Bows, period. They don't have enough plunger volume. There is no solution short of totally replacing the plunger tube and extending the draw. You would be much better off modding a different blaster or building a homemade blaster if you want to use a hopper.

Also, don't stretch your springs. It has been very well established that this ruins your springs while providing only a temporary increase in strength.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 April 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#3 Some Guy

Some Guy

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hmm, time to increase the volume!
Proud maker of Fools Gold; 3rd and last rebuild of the famous FAR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users