Photo

Stryfe mod questions

7 replies to this topic

#1 LockeWatts

LockeWatts

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing around with modding for a while. I was hoping to get some advice on working on my Stryfe. I've taken all of the physical locks out of it, as well as the initial resistor. I've been planning to take out the resistors attached to the motor itself, though I'm not exactly sure what benefit that will have. If anyone could tell me what that change will do, that would be appreciated. I'm also not sure how many trustfires I should be using. The thing sounds like it's about to explode with 4 so I'm guessing 2 or 3 would be better, though I'm not exactly sure how to go about using those. I can't find any dummy aa's at any store near me. Are they just not a common product sold anymore, or does everyone make them themselves?

EDIT: So I went to go remove the resistors from the motors, as well as practice removing the motors for when my new ones get here... and I can't get the things out of their housing. Is there a special trick to it I'm missing, or are these just jammed in there really well?

Edited by LockeWatts, 20 April 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#2 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

To answer your question about how many trustfires too use, I'd say your best option would probably be three.
When I use four in mine, it makes a nasty smell, and way to much noise.

Edited by Mully, 20 April 2013 - 09:15 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#3 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing around with modding for a while. I was hoping to get some advice on working on my Stryfe. I've taken all of the physical locks out of it, as well as the initial resistor. I've been planning to take out the resistors attached to the motor itself, though I'm not exactly sure what benefit that will have. If anyone could tell me what that change will do, that would be appreciated. I'm also not sure how many trustfires I should be using. The thing sounds like it's about to explode with 4 so I'm guessing 2 or 3 would be better, though I'm not exactly sure how to go about using those. I can't find any dummy aa's at any store near me. Are they just not a common product sold anymore, or does everyone make them themselves?

If you remove the resistors attached to the motor you will up the voltage and the current flowing to the motors, which in turn will increase their speed. If you are careful enough, and don't run the motors continuously for too long, then removing those resistors should be okay for the motors. As for the trustfires, I haven't experimented much with those, but from my understanding most people use 3 in their stryfes (although somebody correct me if I am wrong).

As for the dummy AA batteries, I have been making my own, although they aren't extremely clean. If you need some feel free to send me a pm about it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They aren't pretty, but they do the job.
Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#4 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

EDIT: So I went to go remove the resistors from the motors, as well as practice removing the motors for when my new ones get here... and I can't get the things out of their housing. Is there a special trick to it I'm missing, or are these just jammed in there really well?

It takes a bit of careful prying to the the flywheels off, but once you do, flip the whole thing over so the resisters are pointing up and press the motors downward on a flat surface. They're held in by friction and it's damn near impossible to get them out just using your hands.
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

#5 LockeWatts

LockeWatts

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

It takes a bit of careful prying to the the flywheels off, but once you do, flip the whole thing over so the resisters are pointing up and press the motors downward on a flat surface. They're held in by friction and it's damn near impossible to get them out just using your hands.

Do you pull the flywheels off by hand or what? I'm afraid to use any kind of a wedge for fear of breaking the flywheels.

#6 NerfNoob10

NerfNoob10

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I had similar trouble removing the motors from the fly wheels as well. I ended up using pliers to grab the motor and pull it out of the fly wheel. However this did break the original motors in the process so I'm not sure you want to do this unless you already have the replacement motors and don't need the original ones for anything. The motors are only held in with friction so just be gentle and keep trying and they will come out eventually.

#7 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

These are pretty and alsodo the job. I got them from TaoBao, which is some Chinese version of Amazon.
However I am sure that outlets like Radioshack (USA) and Maplin (UK) sell them or something similar.

Posted Image

#8 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Do you pull the flywheels off by hand or what? I'm afraid to use any kind of a wedge for fear of breaking the flywheels.

I usually use one or two small screwdrivers or the blade of my knife. I stick the screwdrivers under opposite sides of the flywheel and pry up slowly, and then change the positioning so it kind of slides up evenly. It just takes patience and a steady hand.
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users