The Master Key Itself:
My objective was the leave the stryfe completely untouched by the mod and maintain the ability to remove the master key portion without needing to disassemble anything.
Materials Needed: Your favorite nerf glue (I used epoxy).
Tools: A cheap dremel with a cutoff saw and some rough sandpaper to make the final fit perfect.
I took the barrel from my old recon because I haven't purchased a retaliator yet. The barrel itself is completely unmodified aside from being glued to the roughcut and a duct tape spacer added to the back of the barrel shroud to make the connection to the gun super tight and eliminate wobbles. It was attached to the roughcut by filling up the tac rails with epoxy and lining them up. Joining the rails like this made it easy to line it up perfectly straight and square.
Part of my design consideration was that the first finger curve on the roughcut would just kiss the magazine on the stryfe to avoid pinches and making the hand position to pull the trigger feel more natural. If you intend to use this with a drum magazine you will need to remove about another quarter inch of material from the rough cut's handle to accommodate it.
The cuts made to the top of the shell are larger on the left side of the gun to allow the tactical rail on the bottom of the stryfe just enough room to rotate past and sit snugly against the left side once it's seated. The stryfe's tac rail sits perfectly between the two plungers in the rough cut and doesn't impede firing at all. While you've got it this far, I suggest applying lube to the front of the plate that holds the plungers back (lightly highlighted on the picture). I had issues with the gun refusing to fire the second plunger and it's due to friction here.
You can see here where the master key is rotating into the stryfe and how little clearance it has.
The 2X4 to 4X2 mod:
My objective with this mod was to be able to dump foam downrange with a minimum of effort and sound. The gun can now empty all 8 chambers in under a second without compromising range or the integrity of the intelligent AR system.
I'll refer to the chambers as such from this point forward:
I succeeded in taking the 8 separate chambers in the AR and creating some port holes between 1/3, 2/4, 5/7, and 6/8 to make 4 separate 2 dart chambers. This means that each pull of the trigger/slamfire will fire 2 sets of 2 darts turning the roughcut into a true scatter gun.
Tools: A flat blade screwdriver to pry it apart, a dremel with a barrel shaped grinding head, and an exacto knife for the final detailing.
AR disassembly instructions can be found here: Rough Cut AR/peg removal
While you're in there, you might as well pull the pegs out as well and tape up the holes in chambers 1-4
I found it useful to push here with a screwdriver to get the parts to separate. They are not held together with glue, but are very tightly bound with an airtight tongue and groove system.
Once you get the AR apart, remove the material down to the yellow lines I've highlighted below. Be very careful with these cuts since making new holes anywhere else here is just going to mess up the AR system. When you're done, use the exacto knife to clean the bottom edges of the AR chambers. Put one of the AR plungers into its slot and move it around to make sure it has perfectly free movement in and out. Failure to do this will result in the ARs getting stuck down and leaving the barrel open without a dart inside it.
Some of the interesting things about the ranges with this mod:
Make sure to leave darts in chambers 3 and 4, since those are now the gate keepers of chambers 5-8.
Full of darts: Top 4 darts get 45 feet flat, bottom 4 darts get 40 feet flat.
Darts removed from chambers 3 and 4: 6 darts go a variety of short ranges. Not recommended.
Darts only in chambers 3-6: It goes back to the stock ranges of ~55 feet flat firing 2 darts per trigger pull/slamfire.
This means you can even mix and match what you want the gun to do. If you want 3 darts firing at a variety of ranges, you could leave darts out of 1 and 8 to drive those chambers back up to stock range, but still fire 2 more darts at medium range to back up the shot. The entire point of this mod is that the AR remains largely unharmed so that it behaves correctly and predictably, while allowing you to lob lots of foam in a very short period of time.
Bottle Cap Slamfire:
The objective of this mod was to allow me to either use the master key one handed with slamfire, or 2 handed with the trigger and be able to choose on the fly.
Materials needed: A 20 oz or 2 Liter bottle cap, and a twist tie or a zip tie to hold it to the trigger guard.
Tools: Something to punch a hole in the bottle cap.
As you can see below, the bottle cap takes up the whole trigger area and keeps the trigger pulled constantly. Bumping the bottle cap out of the way with your finger allows you to quickly go back to using the trigger. Every master key should have this.
Roughcut Speed Loaders:
My objective was to be able to reload my roughcut quickly since it now takes less than a second to empty it.
Materials: Foam, cardboard, something that's thin and smashable
Tools: Exacto knife.
I took the barrels of the roughcut and made a template where each barrel is and cut out holes slightly smaller than the streamlines, but slightly bigger than the dart tips. I now have an improved version that uses 2 thin layers of foam that lines up with the barrels much faster. The way this works is you line up the darts and smash the whole thing down. The foam falls away since the holes are bigger than the dart tips.
This is an idea that someone should really do on a 3D printer.
Edited by Ericshelpdesk, 18 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.