A singled triad with a nice cosmetic mod

16 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hello there!

I am pretty sure this is my first write up here so I shall do my best.

Premise: The triad while nice with tree barrels seemed inaccurate and the darts seemed to fall out a lot for me so I set out to remedy this and make it look cooler.

So I will share with you how to turn this:

Posted Image

Into...
This:

Posted Image

So what do you need? (note this is just for luger, you can still use the concepts to single the triad into other forms)

Materials:
  • Triad
  • Some wood (piece of 2x4)
  • scraps of polycarbonate (for sights, you can substitute most materials)
  • epoxy puddy (or another form of body building material)
  • plastic epoxy
  • 1/2" cpvc or petg for barrel
  • 1/2" pvc
  • Paint
  • Veneer (optional for the wood grain on the handle)

Tools: (these are what I used/recommend but are by no means the only way to do it)
  • Band Saw (optional, can use hand saw or dremle)
  • Drill
  • assorted drill bits/fostner/spade bits
  • dremel (primarily anding drums)
  • hand saw
  • Belt sander (optional, sandaing block/files will work)
  • sand paper 100-400 grit
  • 1/2" dowel

First things first, I always like to come up with some concept art of the finished project.

Posted Image

okay to start out with you need to cut off the "head" of the triad. I just made a straight cut from where the trigger guard meets the barrel all the way across.

Posted Image

Now being that I wanted to conceptually make sure the triad had enough power for a longer barrel I temporarily affixed one to test, which it surpassed a stock triad at indoor testing, so it was safe to proceed with the project and the barrel length.

Posted Image

Next I proceeded to make the barrel using a 6" length of 1/2" cpvc (it will be cut down to 5" later). I then took a length of 1/2" dowell and inserted it into the barrel and chucked the dowel into a drill. This allowed me to rotate the barrel as I sanded it to give it the nice taper that you see. I took it first to the belt sander to rough out the shape then used hand sandpaper up to 400 grit to smooth it out.

Posted Image

Then I made a rough tracing of the top half the gun to be cut out of my piece of 2x4 and just cut the wood to a block to start with.

Posted Image

I then took the block that I just cut out and bored a hole to hold the barrel.

Posted Image

Now I transfer the rough detailing of the luger onto the wood block to be cut out. Here you also want to line up what is left of your triad and mark the position and angle of the center of the plunger tube on the block, so you can drill the shaft that will connect to the barrel

Posted Image

Here is the block after drilling the hole and the cuts being made and light detail sanding done.

Posted Image

So now we need to make a joint between the pipe coming from the air chamber and the barrel, I achieve this by making a mitred joint at 45 degrees which I just adjust until it fits, you could also do some fancy math but its much quicker just to look and adjust on the fly.

Posted Image

Once the joint fits well apply some plastic epoxy to both faces of the joint and fit together, make sure to wipe the excess from the interior and exterior and let it dry.

Posted Image

Now cut a slice of 1/2" pvc about 1" long (this will nest with the 1/2" cpvc) and sand it untill it fits snug in the opening on the top of the triad. then cut an angle to match that of the 1/2" cpvc protruding from what will be the top half of the gun.

Posted Image

and glue it on with some plastic epoxy

Posted Image

you should be able to test fit it into the triad like so.

Posted Image

epoxy it together, here I only applied the epoxy to the 1/2" pvc and the parts of the triad making contact with the wood, this way when you stick the two halves together no epoxy will get pushed into the air chamber.

Posted Image

cut out and adhere with plastic epoxy the front and rear sights. I cut the profile with the band-saw and used hand files to slope the sides, and notch the rear sight

Posted Image

From here on out its just detailing, using the epoxy puddy i built up the handle and bolt region, and affixed a section of dowel to be the "draw" of the bolt. Add more details and or add or remove more material as necessary to get the right look or feel, there is a lot of personal preference here.

Posted Image

For the wood on the handle I opted to use some veneer i had laying around rather than trying to paint wood grain or adhere and stain a piece of wood to it.

Posted Image

Add a couple of layers of enamel and a couple of clear coats whalla!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: I also forgot I drilled 2 air intake holes in the bottom plate as well, but don't have a picture of it.

So in conclusion:

My darts do not fall out any more, the gun looks and feels great. this process/style of singling can be performed to fit a variety of different handgun styles (I have a ppk drying right now). Will post some videos within the week.

Ranges:

Apologies in delay on these, but here we go.

First of when I range test i like to take the difference in range between the modded blaster and the stock blaster. Why because it will help take into account for atmospheric conditions.

so without further ado

my singled triad 5 1/2" cpvc barrel achieves on average 15' more (using bb stephans) than a stock triad both firing flat from the same location.

another thing to note is that the singled triad all the darts were in a nice neat little pile in comparison to the triad which deviated ~ 3 ft side to side. so in short you lose 2 shots by singling, and you gain 15' and accuracy

Edited by ProfessionalNerf, 12 April 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#2 The Snake

The Snake

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Looks very nice. What ranges are you getting? Im curious to see if singling those really does help.
Go Nerf!
"This may send you into peals of laughter" -Zero Talent

#3 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm also interested in seeing whether or not singling it would help at all.
Aside from that, nice mod! That's some great cosmetic work!

Edited by Mully, 30 March 2013 - 09:12 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#4 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I updated the OP with some stats, just from the feel and the sound of the dart crack off the wall i can say that the triad can use a 5" barrel effectively and that it is indeed greater ranged/more power than stock. Is it enough to merit the loss of the 3 dart feature, ranges should decide this, but for me it was more of a case of increase reliability and accuracy and perhaps boost the range as well. so far it appears that all of those have been accomplished.

#5 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

This is really nice. Great work. Just wondering, how far is the indoor space that you are firing in and does it drop before it hits the end of the space?
"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#6 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I stated in the op 35' the singled triad appears not to drop or perhaps drop ~2" I cannot really tell without using something like a laser sight but both guns shot from the same height at the same angle the stock triad in general drops by at least 5-6" more than the singled triad. Like I stated as well i should have some real ranges or at least range differences up in the next few days.

#7 Ezio Nerf

Ezio Nerf

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thats a neat idea. But why not use a Jolt? Is there a difference? Or does the Triad make it able to be in the contest?

#8 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thats a neat idea. But why not use a Jolt? Is there a difference? Or does the Triad make it able to be in the contest?

2 things, the triad has a larger air chamber and better spring, so it can support a larger barrel the jolt cannot. the goal was not solely to make a luger but to single and improve the triad which was lacking in several aspects in my opinion.

this will most likely be entered in the contest if ranges pan out.

#9 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Even if the ranges don't pan out, I think you should add it to the contest because it's beautiful! :)
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#10 Crazy Modder

Crazy Modder

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Excellent work (great job on remembering the orange tip); one questions though. 1) What is price range and amount of hours of work did you take to do this (so fellow modders can get a time frame for entire mod)?
-Crazy Modder

Edited by Crazy Modder, 30 March 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#11 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

price is under $15 (including triad) it really depends on what materials you have and if you use the glues, pvc etc for more than one mod as you get way more than you need. time, i would say this could be done in a day easily i did it over the course of 3 days partially in part due to weather for painting. or hours probably 8 actual hours of work, it all depends on how detailed you want to get.

hope this helps

#12 Crazy Modder

Crazy Modder

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

price is under $15 (including triad) it really depends on what materials you have and if you use the glues, pvc etc for more than one mod as you get way more than you need. time, i would say this could be done in a day easily i did it over the course of 3 days partially in part due to weather for painting. or hours probably 8 actual hours of work, it all depends on how detailed you want to get.

hope this helps

Wow, that really is worth while; have you tried a new main spring for the triad? Also what method did you use to remove back cover before you sawed off the barrel? I am having a tough time with my hobby knife for this part even when a hammer is applied. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?
-Crazy Modder

#13 SoftButFirm

SoftButFirm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Wow, that really is worth while; have you tried a new main spring for the triad? Also what method did you use to remove back cover before you sawed off the barrel? I am having a tough time with my hobby knife for this part even when a hammer is applied. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?
-Crazy Modder

By far, the easiest way to get that back plate off is this: Drill about a 3/8 hole DEAD CENTER in the back plate. There is a screw under the back plate that you need to take out. I'm pretty sure prying it off is literally impossible. All you will do is ruin the plastic. Hope this helps.

And OP, this is really nice. Good work. I like my triad too much to try this though :P

Edited by SoftButFirm, 01 April 2013 - 12:57 AM.

Playing assassin at my school right now. Load-out is as follows:
Primary: Stryfe running off three Trustfires
Secondary: Triad

Current kills: 0 (Finna get one tonight I hope)

#14 ProfessionalNerf

ProfessionalNerf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Updated OP with ranges, if you don't want to look they are here:

my singled triad 5 1/2" cpvc barrel achieves on average 15' more (using bb stephans) than a stock triad both firing flat from the same location.

another thing to note is that the singled triad all the darts were in a nice neat little pile in comparison to the triad which deviated ~ 3 ft side to side. so in short you lose 2 shots by singling, and you gain 15' and accuracy

#15 Crazy Modder

Crazy Modder

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Updated OP with ranges, if you don't want to look they are here:

15' and more accuracy! I have to do this mod now...but there is the issue of parent's no sefans rule :angry: . Any ideas anyone on that? Also thanks a ton for doing this sweet mod guide; can't wait to do my self.

#16 CheeseRat

CheeseRat

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

15' and more accuracy! I have to do this mod now...but there is the issue of parent's no sefans rule :angry: . Any ideas anyone on that? Also thanks a ton for doing this sweet mod guide; can't wait to do my self.

It depends on what your stefans are made of. If the are hot glue domes, they probably aren't allowed. Try slugs, putty-wrap darts, or modded stock darts. There are plenty of dart-smithing threads on this forum.
I like cheese.

#17 Crazy Modder

Crazy Modder

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

It depends on what your stefans are made of. If the are hot glue domes, they probably aren't allowed. Try slugs, putty-wrap darts, or modded stock darts. There are plenty of dart-smithing threads on this forum.

Yeah funny thing is my dad after two months finally said yes to eraserheads but only for my lil shooting range practice, also thanks for help...but we need to get back on topic. If you want to continue please pm. Also what size did you cut your sefans for this lunger any way? Dose the length affect range or is it personal preference of having them short?
-Crazy Modder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users