3D printed Wye on a Snapbow

It's working great!

22 replies to this topic

#1 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hey guys, since my last post I made some changes to the design, and got a snapbow.
The Wye is firing much more reliably now, but I want to know about what you guys think about the stub on the back (details in the video).

So if you guys have an opinion on the PVC Stub, or any general questions, comments, etc, just leave a reply.
Thanks
Kron
Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#2 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I like the idea of the stub on the back. Like you said, it is one less thing to worry about. The one thing i would like to see is threaded connections so that the use of screws is not needed, however that is just a personal preference.
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#3 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Since you live in PA, I think it' be a good idea to take it to a war and test it out. Firing it in your back yard is cool, but seeing how it performs in the heat of battle would be better.

as far as the stub, I personally don"t like it.

Edited by andtheherois, 16 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#4 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I agree with Andtheherois, take it to a war, test it yourself, and have people try it out on their blasters. And I agree I wouldn't want a stub in the back, I prefer adding my own.

#5 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I like the stub too. Ordering wise, I still want to see how they feed silicone domes. I'd also like to see a close up of the ramp.

#6 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

I would prefer to have a stub on the back of the wye, although I really don't care very much either way. The main thing to me that would make it nicer is if it could take a CPVC barrel. Because when I am test-shooting a blaster, it is somewhat annoying to find a barrel that has been hammered into PVC.

#7 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

No stub. Not having it there allows for more flexibility with how to route air to the hopper so things like rainbowpups are easier to do. And it isn't that difficult to cut a 2" piece of pvc to make a stub if necessary.

#8 lech

lech

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

No stub. Not having it there allows for more flexibility... ...and it isn't that difficult to cut a 2" piece of pvc to make a stub if necessary.

I agree with this.

#9 orangeparkour

orangeparkour

Mostly Harmless Darts

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

The main thing to me that would make it nicer is if it could take a CPVC barrel. Because when I am test-shooting a blaster, it is somewhat annoying to find a barrel that has been hammered into PVC.

I agree with this, if we could just easily slide in our cpvc barrels this would be extremely nice. That would also allow you to change the length of the barrel more easily.
I hung out with Ice Nine once, and he thought I was pretty cool.
How to make Silicone Domes

#10 Ivan S

Ivan S

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I agree with this, if we could just easily slide in our cpvc barrels this would be extremely nice. That would also allow you to change the length of the barrel more easily.

I think this is a great idea, why not make the ID of the front the same as the OD of 1/2" cpvc? That would make switching barrels way easier, plus remove the possibility of bending the barrel when you hammer it into a pvc stub.
It would be more difficult to fit barrels for air guns, but who am I kidding, springers are waayyy more common than air guns. Maybe you could also make the OD of the front the same as 1/2" pvc so a coupler could be attached and sch80 or petg could be attached to that?
You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

#11 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

No stub. Not having it there allows for more flexibility with how to route air to the hopper so things like rainbowpups are easier to do. And it isn't that difficult to cut a 2" piece of pvc to make a stub if necessary.

The stub would not prevent you from making a rainbowpup and it would not add any deadspace if any.
Funny Irc moments

#12 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I can't quote in the mobile app, but I strongly disagree with the CPVC statements.

That would limit the barrel material to only CPVC. For people who want to make hamps with SCH80 PVC, use PETG or brass as barrels, or make a transition barrel, then they would be out of luck.

Furthermore, CPVC is pretty flexible and, in my experience, barrels over 10" are slightly curved. Sheathing them in PVC stops this curve for the most part, making the blaster more accurate.

Stub or no stub, as long as the ramp is still there and the back of the ramp sits flush with a PVC stub we insert, I'm good.

#13 CigarBaby

CigarBaby

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I can't quote in the mobile app, but I strongly disagree with the CPVC statements.

That would limit the barrel material to only CPVC. For people who want to make hamps with SCH80 PVC, use PETG or brass as barrels, or make a transition barrel, then they would be out of luck.

Furthermore, CPVC is pretty flexible and, in my experience, barrels over 10" are slightly curved. Sheathing them in PVC stops this curve for the most part, making the blaster more accurate.

Stub or no stub, as long as the ramp is still there and the back of the ramp sits flush with a PVC stub we insert, I'm good.

I agree with Bchamp right here. One thing you could do would be to make a universal coupler at the front. I don't know if it's possible, but it would allow much more flexibility on which barrel material you can use.

#14 Funky Mutha Facko

Funky Mutha Facko

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I wouldn't include a stub in the back because some blasters need the wye to be further from the coupler or bushing to accomodate for a large shell such as the umb and 4b. I would also leave the barrel area fitting .5" PVC as not all people use cpvc as barrel material. Petg and brass needs to be nested into PVC to be used in a hopper.
HARDCORE NERF!

#15 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

The stub would not prevent you from making a rainbowpup and it would not add any deadspace if any.

Yes it would. Look at the pictures, and how I route the air to the wye using a cpvc street elbow. With the stub permanently attached, I'd have to use a pvc elbow, which is larger -> more dead space. I would also have to mount they wye farther forward since the spigot end of the elbow would no longer fit inside the socket on the back of the wye. And I never said it would prevent us from making rainbowpup like designs, but that giving us more flexibility with how we attach the wye is better.

#16 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hey guys, sorry for not replying for so long, but I am trying to preserve my posts as an FNG

Anyways, the first thing to address is the stub. I think I will remove it because while it does remove one thing to worry about, I feel as though it might make the wye hard to use with certain blasters, and I want the design to be useable for as many people as possible.

As for going to a war, I live in Pittsburgh so there is less nerf action than say Philly, but this summer I am taking a road trip passing through Philly, so if anyone was planning to have a war on the weekend of July 21-22, I might be able to make an hour or two on that sunday the 22nd. The other option is always ohio, and my family is trying to set up a weekend trip to Cleveland sometime this spring, but we will most likely plan that trip at the last minute, so again that would depend on if someone was planning to have a war at the right time, so I will play it by ear.

Another thing I heard discussed was having the front accept 1/2" CPVC, and I don't think that will happen because then those who use other barrel materials like PETG of Brass wouldn't be able to use the wye, and again I want as many people as possible to be able to use my design.
However I have a design for a universal coupler that accepts both CPVC and PVC, and would most likely be able to connect with PVC couplers at the back:
This is a very rough prototype (as the dead-space is filled with hot glue)

Posted Image

Theoretically the universal coupler could be added to the wye, but again I want to hear from you guys about that.

Also here are some pictures of the dart ramp. It is hard to see in images, and to really understand it, one must feel it, or see it in a 3D design program, but here is my attempt to photograph it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it. If you guys have any more questions feel free to leave another comment.
Thanks

My Youtube Channel

#17 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes it would. Look at the pictures, and how I route the air to the wye using a cpvc street elbow. With the stub permanently attached, I'd have to use a pvc elbow, which is larger -> more dead space. I would also have to mount they wye farther forward since the spigot end of the elbow would no longer fit inside the socket on the back of the wye. And I never said it would prevent us from making rainbowpup like designs, but that giving us more flexibility with how we attach the wye is better.

Or you could do it the way Ryan does which is the most effective way I have found. It is also much, much easier to do if you can find the part. It you do it this way it is actually better with the stub. We also have to keep in mind it will be used for a large variety of blasters and the majority of blasters that it will be used in, the stub will be helpful.
Funny Irc moments

#18 CigarBaby

CigarBaby

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Or you could do it the way Ryan does which is the most effective way I have found. It is also much, much easier to do if you can find the part. It you do it this way it is actually better with the stub. We also have to keep in mind it will be used for a large variety of blasters and the majority of blasters that it will be used in, the stub will be helpful.

But for all the blasters the stub won't be helpful, it's a useless wye. You're cutting off some of the people that have blasters that need a specific size stub. With the stub not included, you're not cutting off anybody. I can't imagine anybody would not purchase the wye because the stub is missing. From a selling standpoint, Kronos can reach more consumers by just leaving the stub off.

#19 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

I noticed that every time you fire you angle it down when you prime. Any way you can test it sometime with it perfect horizontal like it would be on an air tank or pump action blaster?

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#20 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

@ ShaNayNay:
I hadn't noticed that, thanks, I will test it out on something else with my next iteration.

My Youtube Channel

#21 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Best possible scenerio: you are able to make different model wyes that have cpvc couplers, petg couplers, pvc couplers, and maybe even brass. Cpvc versions would probably sell the best. Also the stub would be optional. Personally I would buy polyester and petg version if you could make that. Then these would have a much bigger advantage than using standard pvc wyes and more people would buy them.
I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#22 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Best possible scenerio: you are able to make different model wyes that have cpvc couplers, petg couplers, pvc couplers, and maybe even brass. Cpvc versions would probably sell the best. Also the stub would be optional. Personally I would buy polyester and petg version if you could make that. Then these would have a much bigger advantage than using standard pvc wyes and more people would buy them.

I agree that this is the best possible scenario* (dream, rather), but it is also one of the most impractical scenarios and not even worth suggesting. He is getting these injection molded on a scale of 500-1000 to make them cost effective (This was stated in his last thread. Kronos, correct me if I am using out of date information). Making different models would be extremely expensive with no chance of breaking even. I don't know what the problem with PVC is. For micro darts, its the best because it can house CPVC, PETG, and Brass, as well as using Sch80 PVC for a barrel material. Furthermore, its less than ten cents a foot and easily obtainable. I have read many threads where people don't have CPVC near them.

#23 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I agree that this is the best possible scenario* (dream, rather), but it is also one of the most impractical scenarios and not even worth suggesting. He is getting these injection molded on a scale of 500-1000 to make them cost effective (This was stated in his last thread. Kronos, correct me if I am using out of date information). Making different models would be extremely expensive with no chance of breaking even. I don't know what the problem with PVC is. For micro darts, its the best because it can house CPVC, PETG, and Brass, as well as using Sch80 PVC for a barrel material. Furthermore, its less than ten cents a foot and easily obtainable. I have read many threads where people don't have CPVC near them.

Bchamp22795, you are exactly right, I would like to make only one design for the wye, which is why the streamline wye got shot down so early. As for accepting 1/2" CPVC, I am working on the universal couper to be a standalone which could be added to the wye another PVC Coupler, and many stock nerf barrels.

My Youtube Channel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users