Oh hey. What's good?!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hey there.

It's been a while since I've been on this website, and a long time since I've fired a Nerf gun or bought one for that matter.
In the few years I've been gone, I have to imagine that there have been new guns to come out.

So I guess my question is, if I wanted to buy something new, what should I go with?

Do people still buy Nite Finders? Are those still around? Is there a new favorite that everyone likes? Gimme some opinions on what you like/what I should look into. I know I can just Google the new guns or just go to the store and look, but I figured I'd drop a post on the ole site.

If this post is unnecessary I apologize, I might need to reread the rules on postings.

Cheers.
Been a while.
#bro

#2 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Flywheel blasters are quite good now and we have a pretty active community centered around finding better motors and other sorts of modifications. Check out the Stryfe and Rayven.

Nitefinders are still around, but the new Elite like of magazine blasters uses a mechanism similar to the Nitefinder so they're not completely superior to everything else (compared to 4 years ago when the Nitefinder was better than everything on the market, barring possibly the Longshot).
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#3 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Flywheel blasters are quite good now and we have a pretty active community centered around finding better motors and other sorts of modifications. Check out the Stryfe and Rayven.

Just in case you wanted to have the thread about replacement motors, here you go.
There's some pretty amazing stuff coming out now, this is something awesome mylastdart found out about a bit ago.
Anyway, on the subject of what to go with, I highly recommend a Stryfe.
I used a flywheel blaster at an nic war once, to great success. The one problem is that they're not very accurate (unless modified) but they can basically out-gun anything else on the field.
Hope this helps!

Edited by Mully, 10 March 2013 - 10:58 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#4 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Well, the Elite line has done a pretty good job for the most part. They've revamped a lot of older blasters, and the results have been very impressive. I personally like the feel of priming a blaster, so I don't use the flywheel blasters. However, I agree that the Stryfe outguns most everything else on the field.

If you're looking for a good secondary, I recommend the Strongarm, it functions well and gets stock ranges that outdistance those of a modified Maverick. I also highly recommend the Retaliator, which I equate to the Desert Eagle of nerf guns. Get a stronger spring in that blaster, take out the air restrictor and that thing can shoot darts really far.

Welcome back to the forums!

Jay
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

#5 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

Oh geez, it's been so long I for got how to add quotes and stuff to all of these posts. Uh oh, let's try it anyway.

They've revamped a lot of older blasters, and the results have been very impressive.

Welcome back to the forums!

I saw something on Amazon, it's called a "Firestrike Blaster," is this suppose to be like an upgraded Nite Finder? It looks pretty cool, kinda.
Oh and thanks.

Nice! Thanks. I saw the Stryfe on Amazon as well, had no idea that it had a motor in it. The possibility of modifying it seems pretty cool too. To the second part of that post, yeah I remember when Nite Finders were the bomb and everyone wanted to get a hold of the "Old NF" spring to put in the new one.
The old NF will probably be my favorite gun forever, even tho mine is dead.

Just in case you wanted to have the thread about replacement motors, here you go.

Thanks for the info man, I'll definitely search the forums for more on the topic and look at Sticky'd threads. I'm gonna have to look into this Stryfe since it's a good one.

Thanks for the info so far guys. If anyone else has anything to share about what they like or anything, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: I also had a question about the new darts. Why have we strayed away from the use of stefans? They were pretty common when I use to Nerf all the time. I noticed the new ones with the tips and the thread about it. I'm assuming this is just for safety? Didn't know if anything major happened that now nobody seems to use them anymore.

Edited by Sqiggs89, 11 March 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Been a while.
#bro

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

The Firestrike is a nice improvement on the Nitefinder I found. However with the shell redesign, the grip is smaller, and that light trigger can be annoying for people with big hands.

The "safer" Darts have been pretty much a crusade of Ryan and Kane's for a while now. It's mainly their preference, but others are catching on. I know here in NJ we still used the old fashion Stefan slug.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#7 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Firestrike is a nice little blaster, but I've found that it's modding potential is fairly limited. Since the plunger head is not removable, it's a pain in the ass to try and change the spring.
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

#8 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

I know I can just Google the new guns or just go to the store and look, but I figured I'd drop a post on the ole site.

If this post is unnecessary I apologize, I might need to reread the rules on postings.

You can do that by reading the New Members Guide and Code of Conduct. By now you probably have enough info to get you started, and start searching for yourself. I'll give this thread another day, and then I'm closing it to prevent it from turning into a complete wankfest or a speculation thread.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#9 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

The "safer" Darts have been pretty much a crusade of Ryan and Kane's for a while now. It's mainly their preference, but others are catching on. I know here in NJ we still used the old fashion Stefan slug.

Funny to see slug darts being talked about like they're this old-fashioned thing.

Sqiggs89: when were you last active? We can give you a rundown of what's happened since then.

#10 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

I also had a question about the new darts. Why have we strayed away from the use of stefans? They were pretty common when I use to Nerf all the time. I noticed the new ones with the tips and the thread about it. I'm assuming this is just for safety? Didn't know if anything major happened that now nobody seems to use them anymore.

The NIC has not strayed from stefans at all. They are still pretty much the only darts used at an NIC war. Slugs are standard, as they have been for some time. Nothing happened to make slugs unsafe. KaneTheMediocre is just obsessed with metal-free darts. This does not reflect the community in general, as slugs are still the standard, and will be for some time.

In case you're wanting a slug-making tutorial, here is the best one around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users