Photo

Homemade flywheel gun

30 replies to this topic

#26 Dart Slammer

Dart Slammer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Honestly, it'd be easiest just to use a recon shell with a 36 dart drum mag (they're not that expensive; you could get one for probably $10 or less). If the 50 dart drum mag ever came/comes out, that'd work even better.

Nah, I'd have to make some sort of complex dart pusher, and it would be hard to meld a recon shell into a non-nerf machine. Plus, I'm going for about a 200 dart capacity with this thing.

#27 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

How are the darts getting from your "hoppers" to the flywheel? Are you just using a rod to push them, then pulling the rod out, turning to the next "hopper" and repeating the process? Seems like this will be a very long blaster.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#28 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

There's a template for a magazine well on Nerf Rev, in the Revshot topic, I think.
It could easily be made from acrylic.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#29 Dart Slammer

Dart Slammer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

How are the darts getting from your "hoppers" to the flywheel? Are you just using a rod to push them, then pulling the rod out, turning to the next "hopper" and repeating the process? Seems like this will be a very long blaster.

Yes. And it would be at least 3ft long.

#30 Dart Slammer

Dart Slammer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

UPDATE

I have been working on a solution to the imbalanced wheels, and I think I have found a solution. I drew a template for a lightened wheel on a CAD program, and used to drill out holes in the wheel to reduce weight.

Posted Image

The irregular holes are for balance. I used a magnetic balancer to make sure they were well-centered. They were spun up to top speed (12,000 RPM) with acceptable vibration.

#31 dskippy

dskippy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hobbyking Donkey 730kv 35A 11.1-14.8v brushless motors. They are a good choice, the only problem seems to be that they use bushings, so I'll probably have to replace them with ball races. For comparison, the Hailfire's motors are (i think) 130 size motors, which run at 6 volts and draw 800ma at stall. So basically the Donkeys are close to 3x the voltage and over 40x the current.

I have some questions about your setup. First of all did you find any other motors that are better for this than the Hobbyking Donkey? Secondly do you have a list of the other parts that are in this build? You have two motor controllers I think and some kind of inductor coils going into the Arduino it looks like. Do you have a parts list? Finally what diameter are your flywheels and what hardware are you using to connect them to the motor shaft?

Thanks a bunch,

-mike

Please check the last post date in a thread before posting, and just PM the OP with questions if it's more than a month or so since the thread has seen activity.

Edited by Carbon, 28 October 2013 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users