• 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Posted Image

tools needed:
-Dremel with a cutting disc and sanding drum
-Drill

Supplies:
-Firestrike
-Nitefinder (yeah, its cheating. The Firestrike plunger head is a bit big for the PETG and I sort of already had the NF rifle parts done)
-Screws (with corresponding tap) I used 8/32.
-1" PETG. I get mine at PETCO in the aquarium section.
-1/2" cpvc coupler
-lubricant
-E-tape
-Sharpie
-8732K13 3/8" square nylon bar. You'll only need a foot. I used about 9.5".
-[k26]

Writeup:
Posted Image
Open up your firestrike. You'll see this.
Posted Image
Lift up the LED light and lift the plungertube and the front pieces out of the shell. It'll all come out as one piece.
Posted Image
So, uh, like I said, I already had the NF rifle parts built, so I don't have in progress pics of it, so hopefully I can explain it well enough. Its very straight forward.
Take apart your nitefinder. All you need is the plunger assembly. Take the plunger head off, take the screw out, and set it aside. Carefully drill and tap a hole in the center of one of the ends of your nylon rod. Enlarge the existing screw hole in the Nitefinder plunger head if necessary, then screw the NF plunger head onto the nylon rod. You can kinda see it here.
Posted Image
Set that aside and go back to the firestrike assembly. Take the plunger rod and cut it at the back. Take care not to damage the catch.
Posted Image
Take the catch off and don't lose it. Toss the rest. Now you need to decide how long you want your [k26]. Some people like to use full springs, but personally, I think that makes the PT a bit long, so I usually cut them down to somewhere around 7". That decision will affect how long your 1" PETG PT will be. Cut the PETG 1-2" longer than the spring. Wrap your 1/2" cpvc coupler in E-tape until it fits in the 1" PETG, surround it with goop, and insert it about halfway into the PETG. Take your drill and screw in three screws to hold the coupler in. They also act as a dart stop, should you vacuum load. Slip your [k26] onto the nylon rod, then drop the firestrike catch on top of that. Lube up your plunger head and gingerly insert it into the 1" PETG.
Now look at your firestrike shell. There are little nubs on each side. Sand them down. Also cut about half of the hole on the light off.
Posted Image
Now align the nitefinder rifle plungertube assembly you've made into the shell. Close up the shell. You should probably screw it together. Now pull the nylon rod as far back as you can and mark the nylon rod with a sharpie right next to the shell. Open the shell back up and take out the plunger tube assembly. Take the plunger out of the tube and take the spring off the nylon rod. Put the rod back into the tube and align it back into the firestrike shell. Pull the nylon rod out to where the mark you made is right at the edge of the shell, where it was when the spring was at full compression. Mark where the catch is when the plunger rod is in this position and cut it out with a dremel. Note the shape from this picture.
Posted Image
Now wrap your 1" PETG plunger tube with E-tape until it fits snug behind the screw port. Take the front piece from the firestrike and cut off the part that covers the light halfway where it sits on the screw ports like so.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Fit it back into the shell beneath the plungertube. All you need now is a catch spring. I used one of these cut to size. You may need to shave the spring guide on the catch down a bit.
Posted Image
Now close up the blaster. It is complete, but alas, it doesn't have a priming handle yet. Decide how close you want the priming handle. Make sure you push the plunger rod all the way forward when you measure. You can go two ways here. You can either screw on a tee or a piece of cpvc or you can cut off the back of the Nitefinder plunger rod and drill a hole and screw it into the back of the Nylon rod. Its a matter of preference - they're the same, performance wise.

And you should be done.
Posted Image
Again, apologies for not having pics for a good writeup for the standard nitefinder rifle stuff, but its pretty easy, so yeah.

Now make yourself some speedloaders (I use 9.5" ones) and you have a great backup primary or loaner. Ranges are juuust over 100'. Standard NF rifle range in a smaller, newer package.

#2 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Wow, I never thought that I'd see one of these made.

One question; how secure is the plunger tube to the shell?
Have you had any problems?
Ether way, excellent writeup.

Edited by proplus, 20 February 2013 - 07:40 PM.

"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#3 lech

lech

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

A few things:

Am I missing something, it seems like you have completely neglected attaching the plunger tube to the blaster ?

You have a large amount of deadspace eg. spring is too short/plunger tube too long.

Any consideration given to adding some sort of spring rest to spread the load ? The plastic seems pretty weak around the catch.

#4 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Dang it! I was going to do this. Good jub though. And as others said, how did you secure the pt to the shell?
I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#5 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

You know that you can use this: http://www.mcmaster....ow-rods/=lk4jnj in the fire strike because the stock plunger and shell can fit it, and you wont have to use some other plunger head. I have already done this with the previously mentioned plunger tube and basically just smaller, similar to the size of the one stock, and got 90', so ya.

Edited by Birch, 21 February 2013 - 07:31 PM.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#6 ilikefish58

ilikefish58

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

One question; how secure is the plunger tube to the shell?

And as others said, how did you secure the pt to the shell?

Am I missing something, it seems like you have completely neglected attaching the plunger tube to the blaster ?

You have a large amount of deadspace eg. spring is too short/plunger tube too long.

Any consideration given to adding some sort of spring rest to spread the load ? The plastic seems pretty weak around the catch.

The E-tape around the plunger tube that fits behind the second screw port from the top at the front of the blaster should be enough to hold it in. If you're worried about it or have problems with it coming out, just slather some hot glue in there.

In all my nitefinder rifles and now this, I have that extra "dead space" as an attempt to lessen the wear and tear as the plungerhead slams against the coupler. Sure, there are better ways of doing it, but it works for me. Also, even with the spring shorter, the plungerhead still travels the length of the plungertube. It performs well enough that I don't really care to eliminate any minor inefficiencies.

I gave no consideration to anything around the spring rest. I guess I'll find out if it needs reinforcement over time. Hopefully later rather than sooner.

You know that you can use this: http://www.mcmaster....ow-rods/=lk4jnj in the fire strike because the stock plunger and shell can fit it, and you wont have to use some other plunger head. I have already donethis withe the previously mentioned plunger tube andbasically just smaller, like the same size, and got 90', so ya.

Cool story.

#7 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to double post.

Edited by Tangerle, 20 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Gino

#8 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Dang it, I was going to do this, but you got to it first! Nice mod!
Gino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users