NDA Exclusive - Nerf Gatling foam-ball blaster

And now for something completely unexpected for all of you

26 replies to this topic

#1 MyLastDart

MyLastDart

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys, i'm pretty excited to get this out, I had a ton of fun playing with it, did not suffer 1 jam.

My only concern is how it will affect (outclass) Elite blasters we know right now. Can't say how this will be addressed, but as Modders you guys pretty much know what to expect (or not if you didn't see this!)

Posted Image
Hasbro Nerf's secret Paintball blaster - but it's not without it's problems... anyone say Stampede ECS-50?

Patent number: 8136515
Filing date: 27 Aug 2009
Issue date: 20 Mar 2012
Application number: 12/583,902
Patent et al

Posted Image

Now the Patent Design was filed back originally in August 2009, and they completed a filing for the Innovation File Date at March 2012.

"That's all very nice MyLastDart, who cares?"

What does that mean? It means there are working protoypes of this model in existence. This is the difference - the Stampede ECS-50 drum never got passed this stage. The Gatling has.

Hasbro not being one to backdown so easy, also have an additional patent for foam ball-sized projectiles. Pretty much you can expect them to be Nerf Vortex discette material. They don't hurt anymore than an Elite dart at point blank, a slight sting, but no pain no gain people?

So it's been on the cards for sometime now, and in development due to a heavy demand from a fans, but inspired by several gatling gun Vulcan vids. It's been a labour of love for the Engineers and Design teams, but there is just one hiccup - a major one in fact. The Paintballs themselves are prone to damage or worse damaged to the point they explode inside the blaster - causing jams. This was actually a make-or-break factor.

It's something they are looking at but with diminished results due to the nature of the Paintballs not being able to handle the high rate of fire (they eventually crack and break inside the drum/blaster causing major jams). They have created foam-balls which achieve a similar result. The blaster can handle around 100-300 rounds, with an unseen Repetitive 5 Stack-Rerack Smart Internal System (you could hold the trigger and unload up to 5 consecutive rounds, i.e if you only fire 3 rounds, and then wait, it will reset the counter to allow you to continue a renewed 5 burst cycle).

I suggested to them to take the name "The Goliath MLD-X100" to which they laughed and said it's at the top of the list. Wow. What an honour right?? :) And that could be yours too - it remains unnamed, so feel free to throw some ideas around - you could name the next gen blaster!

I can't give up anymore on what I played with at the Toy Fair 2013, but feel free to tell me what your thoughts on this are guys. You're feedback can help further develop this and perhaps guide them in ideas not previously thought of. So please help develop those discussions here, so I can collect it and feed it back.

I'm collecting feedback from my main site, please do feel free to get stuck in with the discussions there to speculate on the internal workings and enter your own name for this "as yet packaged box complete with no name as a blaster" Source & speculation discussion

Oh and since we are speaking about NDA releases here's another - for your Tacticool freaks out there

"Rambo's M203 Masterkey accessory has never been this Toy Friendly - HIT the DECK people!!" *whizzzzzzzz kAbOoM*

So - Did we expect this at all?

Edited by MyLastDart, 18 February 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Looks expensive.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 MyLastDart

MyLastDart

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Looks expensive.

Being more ergonomic with material use, this SHOULD retail at $49.99 and no more.

Maybe you are a man of few words, but if you can elaborate on your thoughts would be grateful for the feedback!

Edited by MyLastDart, 18 February 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#4 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Being more ergonomic with material use, this SHOULD retail at $49.99 and no more.

Maybe you are a man of few words, but if you can elaborate on your thoughts would be grateful for the feedback!

I think he means (and I aggree) that it seems complicated with many parts and not something that nerf would put out just by their history. Kinda reminds me of the whole gatlin-storm prototype that never came out. And it seems a little off that nerf would start over with a new (and better) type of "projectile".
I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#5 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

The whole design kind of reminds me of Captain Slug's heavy Gatling, especially all of the complexity in this thing. The rear grip reminds of the Pepe's handle. I hope someone can get a firing video of this soon! I can't wait! Hasbro's designs are better every time!

#6 MyLastDart

MyLastDart

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think he means (and I aggree) that it seems complicated with many parts and not something that nerf would put out just by their history. Kinda reminds me of the whole gatlin-storm prototype that never came out. And it seems a little off that nerf would start over with a new (and better) type of "projectile".

Good God - that hurt my eyes! I can see it coming a long way since that first popped up. This has been in the works I think for 4 years now and sidelined plenty of times. The fact it has an Innovation Patent means it's closer to seeing Retail-Light than the ECS-50 drum ever was.

I agree it's complex - but didn't Modders on whole say they want more complexicity? Maybe this is a niche no one else has seriously thought of taking. Pballing is limited to official battle zones as is Airsoft. This product wouldn't be i'm assuming.

#7 Pointman9

Pointman9

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

So you say you've actually played with this? According to the patent, this blaster will be powered not only by "a canister of pressurized gas" but also by a "rechargeable battery pack". That sounds rather expensive from my experience playing paintball. That's quite a step up for Nerf, assuming that the "pressurized gas" isn't generated by the user via a hand pump. It also doesn't mention in the patent anything about foam balls, just paintballs. Are you saying the jamming problem was solved by switching to foam balls?
There is no such thing as overkill. There is only cost efficiency.

#8 Ivan S

Ivan S

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

The fact it has an Innovation Patent means it's closer to seeing Retail-Light than the ECS-50 drum ever was.

Could you elaborate on this part? It's my understanding that the majority of patents never get brought to market. Wikipedia says an "innovation patent" is "A type of patent in some countries used for inventions that have a short commercial life or that offers a comparatively small advance over existing technology. It often has a shorter term of protection, for example 8 years instead of 20 in Australia".

So I see how a working prototype implies that it's close to market, but I don't really get that part.
You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

#9 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think you guys should go for a more simplistic design,
making you products cheaper and more modifiable.
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#10 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm a little skeptical on this myself, while looking at solely the patent diagrams. The concept of an actual Nerf gatling gun seem cool, for any modding potential you would needs a masters in engineering and watch making to figure this thing out.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#11 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

For clarification: the OP played with a foam ball blaster. That is the first 2 sentences. The rest of the post is actually just speculation about a patent Nerf filed.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#12 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I like that nerf came up with something that actually uses the mechanics of a real gatling/Minigun, over having faux barrels rotating in the front. Did they initially try darts before these paint/foam balls? I do see something this complex being an unusual step for Hasbro, but I like it.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#13 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

What's really funny is that Bob and I came up with something similar about the time that patent was file, though instead of multiple barrels, it was just one that rotated. My conclusion is that there is a Hasbro mole on the IRC chat. And that they think I am very smart.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#14 MyLastDart

MyLastDart

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Could you elaborate on this part? It's my understanding that the majority of patents never get brought to market. Wikipedia says an "innovation patent" is "A type of patent in some countries used for inventions that have a short commercial life or that offers a comparatively small advance over existing technology. It often has a shorter term of protection, for example 8 years instead of 20 in Australia".

So I see how a working prototype implies that it's close to market, but I don't really get that part.

They are at a point they could produce a batch of these if they wished - with a legal sign off.

#15 MyLastDart

MyLastDart

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

So you say you've actually played with this? According to the patent, this blaster will be powered not only by "a canister of pressurized gas" but also by a "rechargeable battery pack". That sounds rather expensive from my experience playing paintball. That's quite a step up for Nerf, assuming that the "pressurized gas" isn't generated by the user via a hand pump. It also doesn't mention in the patent anything about foam balls, just paintballs. Are you saying the jamming problem was solved by switching to foam balls?

Correct I played with it. infact there was 4 different variants of them. It did not require any manual prime. I was not able to convince them to crack it open and take me thru it. It had a mix of gas and battery. And as an ex pball/Airsofter it was phenomenal.

Correct they created foam-balls to overcome the issues with the jams cracks.

The goal is to meet older gamer demand market.

#16 Mr Blue Dot

Mr Blue Dot

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Did it have a decent rate of fire? The last thing I want is to drop 50$ on a "full auto" nerf blaster and end up with another nitron.

#17 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

The blaster looks interesting, that's quite the problem they've tackled and it's too bad they couldn't solve the ball-breakage issue. From what I understand, people have been trying to make a Gatling-style paintball gun for quite some time, and most fail because the balls can't handle the force. Tippmann made one for a promo, but it had like 10 barrels. Hopefully that blaster gets released in some form.

I think I'm most excited about foam ball ammunition. It already exists in the form of reusable practice paintballs, but Hasbro doing it would probably make them cheaper/more readily available. I've seen them online now for around $0.10 each, any lower and it'd be cheaper to buy those than build any kind of stefan/slug.

Edited by Meaker VI, 19 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#18 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

What I don't like about balls is my same argument with discs, they suffer when it comes to accuracy and precision. If this blaster or new line if ball shioters boasts some new range, will that range be effective? Or will it be useless because of accuracy issues?

#19 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

What I don't like about balls is my same argument with discs, they suffer when it comes to accuracy and precision. If this blaster or new line if ball shioters boasts some new range, will that range be effective? Or will it be useless because of accuracy issues?

Discs are more accurate than darts can ever hope to be.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#20 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

The blaster looks interesting, that's quite the problem they've tackled and it's too bad they couldn't solve the ball-breakage issue. From what I understand, people have been trying to make a Gatling-style paintball gun for quite some time, and most fail because the balls can't handle the force. Tippmann made one for a promo, but it had like 10 barrels. Hopefully that blaster gets released in some form.

I think I'm most excited about foam ball ammunition. It already exists in the form of reusable practice paintballs, but Hasbro doing it would probably make them cheaper/more readily available. I've seen them online now for around $0.10 each, any lower and it'd be cheaper to buy those than build any kind of stefan/slug.

Those are decidedly NOT foam balls. They are made of ThermoPlastic Rubber, and are kinda heavy in the .68 caliber size. .50 size isn't bad, and I've used some for dome tips. They work well, but I don't think I'd shoot just the balls at my kid.

#21 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

I don't think this could ever outclass Elite or homemades or really anything (except a Vulcan). It shoots balls, and while that's cool and fun, if you use foam balls in a war, it's just for goofing off. I really doubt that this will sell very well, just because of the 49.99 price tag and the fact that it needs gas to function. Also it looks really heavy, and if I wanted to shoot foam balls, I would use a Sceptor with those practise paintballs loaded in a baby bottle hopper. Almost the same price, and could be used as a war practical blaster. Sorry Hasbro, but while this is cool, personally I wish you'd actually released the Gatlin' Storm and made it shoot Micros. This will be an awesome HvZ alternative to the vulcan. Juggernaut (2 vulcans) classes will be a lot better now!Y

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 19 February 2013 - 08:51 PM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#22 Asamere

Asamere

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I suggested to them to take the name "The Goliath MLD-X100" to which they laughed and said it's at the top of the list. Wow. What an honour right?? :) And that could be yours too - it remains unnamed, so feel free to throw some ideas around - you could name the next gen blaster!

I like the name. Run into a game with a "Goliath" in your hands. As for pressurized gas, I wouldn’t mind if it was self-filling. Refilling tanks would be a bit too far from Nerf for my liking. Perhaps it should just come with a pressurizer you can plug in. It would defiantly need some way of telling you when you’re low on pressure too. It would truly suck to run in with this hulking terror, and have it puke all its ammo 5 feet in front of you.

I don't think it needs to be so accurate if it has 100 rounds and a respectable range. If it punches in at the elite ranges or just slightly over, I could see plenty of reason for owning one. The real strength in this doesn’t appear to be accuracy. It seems to be a "WALL OF FOAM" deal. Perfect for clearing corners, holding positions, and rushing. Not to mention cover fire.

I also wonder what the color scheme for this will be... If it beats out the elite ranges and has a great rate of fire with whatever ammunition it uses... I have to say I wouldn’t mind owning "The Goliath MLD-X100" (I keep saying that name in my head with a deep announcer voice and I like it. I hope it gets that name.)
Steel or foam, it makes no differance. We settle this like nerds...

#23 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

The goal is to meet older gamer demand market.

Will this be part of a new product line, then?
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#24 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Apparently Nerf has just been converted a little further towards Paintball. Whatever, Hasbro sucks anyway. Long live Lanard, Buzz Bee and ERTL!!

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#25 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Apparently Nerf has just been converted a little further towards Paintball. Whatever, Hasbro sucks anyway. Long live Lanard, Buzz Bee and ERTL!!

You know that ERTL stopped making blasters a while ago, right? Because nobody bought the products.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users