Photo

Maverick trouble. Help?

9 replies to this topic

#1 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I Have two first gen mavericks. One has a drop barrel mod, and the other one is bone stock. The bone stock one when it fires makes a very loud crack, almost like when the ARs have been removed, and it only fires a few feet. I'm not sure why, but when I hold the barrel straight works just fine. This leads me to believe that the timing or alignment of the blaster is off. I've included a short video clip to explain it a little more. The first blaster I fire is the one that works fine, to give you a baseline so to speak, and the second one is the improperly functioning one.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AV6KA8c-6CE[ /youtube]

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Also yes I'm aware I'm staring at something behind the camera sort of. I recorded this on my ipad, and I was looking at the screen, not the camera.

Edited by 481IceDragon, 15 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#2 KoRnEd

KoRnEd

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I have identified the problem

maverick

No but really, it may be a good idea to open it up and check the seal from the plunger to the the turret as it looks like the alignment is fine. Pictures of the internals should definitely help.

20:07 tiredKitty living in NYC, you could spend a lot of time in Chinatown and only speak the mother tongue
20:07 tiredKitty Not a good idea, btw.

I have identified the problem: "maverick"

#3 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I have identified the problem

No but really, it may be a good idea to open it up and check the seal from the plunger to the the turret as it looks like the alignment is fine. Pictures of the internals should definitely help.

Haha, the seal is fine, I already checked. And the internals look like normal maverick internals, everything's is all good inside. I'm fairly sure it's the gears or whatever you like to call it that the trigger pull turns the barrel is just worn. Has anyone else had this problem?

#4 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

As you said, I think you've just got an old rotation mec.
I noticed in the video that the turret would only rotate a little, before returning to it's original position.
You have a few options:

1) Take apart and thoroughly clean the rotation mec.

2) If that doesn't work, try replacing the extension spring that makes the trigger return, with a better/stronger one.

3) Give it to someone you don't know well.

4) Smash it repeatedly with a hammer until you feel satisfied, and then buy a Strongarm.

Problem solved!

Edited by Mully, 15 February 2013 - 06:41 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#5 Hayawi

Hayawi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Ok, take the barrel and with a screw driver in hand, and gently pry apart the barrel, but not fully! Just keep prying until its relatively loose, but not too loose that reloading becomes a pain. If this does not work, then it is most probably a problem with the rotation mechanism, and if that's the case, I would just string it up in my hall of blasters that are too much of a pain to fix (ie. take it apart and put the parts to better use) and buy a strong arm, otherwise pry apart the mechanism, take a q tip, and fiddle away (which is kind of more work than its worth for a less than mediocre blaster).
As a side note, should this really be in the modification section, as you are not talking about your modified maverick, and you are not proposing a new mod, I would recommend putting it in the general nerf, as that would be a more suitable location.
Good luck and happy hunting.

#6 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to attempt to place the priming system from a broken blaster, and if that fails ill just put a supah sloppy PJ on it, and put it on eBay for cheap.

Edited by 481IceDragon, 15 February 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#7 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

1) Take apart and thoroughly clean the rotation mec. (sic)

Definitely do this. After cleaning, you should also grease all of the moving parts with silicone grease. You can find this silicone grease in the plumbing section of hardware stores.

2) If that doesn't work, try replacing the extension spring that makes the trigger return, with a better/stronger one.

Do not do that. Add a compression spring. Also, glue together the rotation mechanism as described in CaptainSlug's definitive write-up here, so your turret will never slip.

The real thing that is causing your problem, though, is a bad turret seal. I have had this exact same problem with my first generation Maverick, and I solved it by greasing the plunger to turret seal. This is imperative if you want your blaster to fire properly. But if your turret seal is so loose, that grease won't help, I suggest gluing a thin layer of craft foam or sheet rubber to the end of your plunger. (You know, the little thing that touches the turret.) Make sure to grease the turret and craft foam/rubber so that they slide well, though.

Edited by DartSlinger, 15 February 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#8 Samurai kidd

Samurai kidd

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

The problem is without a doubt your turret.
Here's why:
The air restrictors are what normally slow down your plunger. Usually, you don't get such a loud, cracking sound until you remove the air restrictors. The air restrictors in a maverick are in the turret, and since your alignment is off, the plunger is not getting any kind of resistance from the AR's. However, since the maverick turret seals are crappy, the portion of the plunger that is lined up with the turret wall still leaks air, so almost nothing is being channeled into the barrel.

Even though your alignment is off, I doubt friction is your problem. Clean the rotation mech anyways, but rotation tooth slippage is what's really killing you. Case in point: the craft-foam turret sealing method used in nitemavs. This causes a lot of friction, but it's overcome by the added compression spring on the back of the maverick trigger, the greasing of the entire mechanism, and the gluing of the rotating teeth.

When you glue the teeth, use something like zap-a-gap. I'm pretty sure the teeth are made of nylon (nerf blasters are usually ABS, but some parts are made of nylon for extra strength)so they won't respond well to superglue or (most) solvent weld.

Also, this thread is mavericks.

#9 Xakot

Xakot

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Honestly the the most likely solution would be glue the rotation mech in place as Dartslinger and Samurai_kidd have said making sure its only the spring loaded section, but if i were you i would truly consider just taking the turrent out and making a duo-mav as Dim3 did long ago. A twelve round Mav is much more useful than two six's.

#10 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Or buy this; Posted Image

Honestly the the most likely solution would be glue the rotation mech in place as Dartslinger and Samurai_kidd have said making sure its only the spring loaded section, but if i were you i would truly consider just taking the turrent out and making a duo-mav as Dim3 did long ago. A twelve round Mav is much more useful than two six's.

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users