suggestion?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Im planning to host a nerf war for my friends at a community building this sunday. I emailed the director of programs at the place a week ago and she seemed to be open to the idea. Now, she wants to meet and finalize details. So, my reason for posting is to help me get prepared for the meeting. WHat questions should i expect, and are there any points i need to emphazize about the nature of a war? Its a stock war basically... im the only one with, modded blasters/homemades. do i explain this? What are some statements that should be made? ... Im nervous lol.
Please visit my youtube:
https://www.youtube....d61VYhVvhEfeqGA

#2 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Go to a public park?

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

First off, some bookkeeping: work on your capitalization, please.

That out of the way, your job is to emphasize the safety of the event, as the director of programs is going to be concerned about potential injuries on site, damage to property, or things getting out of hand. As such:

1) Leave the mods/homemades at home and go full stock. Later on, if this even goes well, you can broach the subject, but don't even try at the first war. People know Nerf blasters, but other things are an unknown quantity. The unknown makes people nervous.

2) Require safety glasses. Aside from common sense, it shows a proactive approach to avoiding injury.

3) Map out the day. Show the director a planned schedule of events and games. Be able to explain everything.

4) Mention that there are rules for behavior, the kinds you see for every war listing. Also doesn't hurt to mention plans for how people will act if they run into a non-participant.

5) If no adults are playing, perhaps offer contact info for parents.

Just be organized and know your stuff, and you'll be fine.

Go to a public park?

...says the guy in southern California to the guy in Detroit. We have this stuff called "snow" and "ice", so indoor places are good options this time of year.

Edited by Carbon, 11 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

First off, some bookkeeping: work on your capitalization, please.

That out of the way, your job is to emphasize the safety of the event, as the director of programs is going to be concerned about potential injuries on site, damage to property, or things getting out of hand. As such:

1) Leave the mods/homemades at home and go full stock. Later on, if this even goes well, you can broach the subject, but don't even try at the first war. People know Nerf blasters, but other things are an unknown quantity. The unknown makes people nervous.

2) Require safety glasses. Aside from common sense, it shows a proactive approach to avoiding injury.

3) Map out the day. Show the director a planned schedule of events and games. Be able to explain everything.

4) Mention that there are rules for behavior, the kinds you see for every war listing. Also doesn't hurt to mention plans for how people will act if they run into a non-participant.

5) If no adults are playing, perhaps offer contact info for parents.

Just be organized and know your stuff, and you'll be fine.

...says the guy in southern California to the guy in Detroit. We have this stuff called "snow" and "ice", so indoor places are good options this time of year.

Thanks Carbon!

I will heed your advice, and yeah, sorry about my typing, im on my phone and kinda doing a no-no responding in class. :)
Please visit my youtube:

#5 JPRoth1980

JPRoth1980

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just a few more suggestions:

Come with a properly-typed outline of the event in question. Include how many participants you will be inviting, how many you believe will come, and what you think the maximum manageable size would be. Do not invite more people that the manageable limit.

Don't even bring up the subject of modifications. It's an unknown that conjures images of kids with superpowered blasters hurting themselves and damaging property. Bring along a few blasters for demonstration, to show that they do not hurt and do not damage anything.

Take some time to think of what might be said in objection to the event. Plan your responses to these objections so that you can be ready if something comes up.

Set a minimum age for participation. If someone under the age wishes to participate, they must do so with a parent or legal guardian present at all times. Restrictions like that make an impression that you have truly thought about safety (when, in fact, you may just not be wanting little Timmy to come along).

Definitely make sure that you have some sort of adult supervision. By that, I mean someone who is in their late 20s at minimum, and preferably double that. The supervision makes it seem less like a bunch of teenagers running around shooting each other and more like an organized event.

Finally, in your schedule, include time for housekeeping, preferably at the end of each round. Even if it's just five minutes for a dart sweep, emphasizing housekeeping will further put the Director at her ease and make you look yet more responsible.

#6 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • State:Arizona

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

All of these points are great. Carbon laid them out there in the best way possible.

The only point's I want to add are as follows.

1. Dress for your meeting like your going for a job interview. Your ripped jeans may look cool but the program director will think your a moron.

2. Bring a print out copy of Badgers "Nerf War Etiquette" with you to show to the program director. Caption Slug made a point form version witch ill included. Even if you don't play by these rule's have a written (typed) copy of the rules that you plan to play by. While this may look like extra effort it will help you look professional to any staff members/cops that question what your doing. Zango99 tells a funny story about how I used the rule print out as a get out of jail free card, but that's for another time.

Best of luck to you and your nerfing.

http://www.captainsl...om/nerf/NWE.txt

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#7 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

All of these points are great. Carbon laid them out there in the best way possible.

The only point's I want to add are as follows.

1. Dress for your meeting like your going for a job interview. Your ripped jeans may look cool but the program director will think your a moron.

2. Bring a print out copy of Badgers "Nerf War Etiquette" with you to show to the program director. Caption Slug made a point form version witch ill included. Even if you don't play by these rule's have a written (typed) copy of the rules that you plan to play by. While this may look like extra effort it will help you look professional to any staff members/cops that question what your doing. Zango99 tells a funny story about how I used the rule print out as a get out of jail free card, but that's for another time.

Best of luck to you and your nerfing.

http://www.captainsl...om/nerf/NWE.txt

Thank you, and yeah number one is for sure. Thanks for the link as well!
Please visit my youtube:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users