How to remove and strip old paint.

8 replies to this topic

#1 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Intro that no one cares about..

There's quite few ways to remove old paint jobs...
-sandpaper
Pros-cheap, easy, nothing required except sandpaper and endless hours.
Cons- takes forever, rougher grits can leave scratches, while smoother papers don't remove the old paint.

-Sandblasting
Pros- supah quick, supah easy
Cons- requires specialty equipment.

Paint stripping compounds.
Pros- quick, easy.
Cons- fumes, can eat into plastic, ruining your antique crossbow with original arms and decals...(although that shouldn't have been painted in the first place.... :lol: )

And many more.. Anyways the product I choose to use is called PURPLE POWER. I learned about this through car modeling, from the model car equivalent of uin13 or coop. Basically you let it sit in a tub of the liquid, and over a period of days, (or sometimes weeks if you used some high quality paints) and it will eat away the paint right down to the bare plastic. The only cons of this is you do have to purchase it at your local Walmart, or walmart equivalent, and it does put off some harsh fumes, so I would recommend putting this in your garage. I am not sure if this stuff will freeze, but it's not worth trying IMO. I do not currently have pictures but I will upload some when I strip my swarmfire. If you want some proof that what I'm saying is correct, since some of you may know, purple powers description is a cleaner and degreaser, look on youtube for damncranky666, and look for his video, "beyond the purple pond". I am not affiliated with him in any way, merely trying to provide some evidence.

Comment any other methods you use, and I can add them to the post, or correct me on something if its wrong.
Thanks.

EDIT: If this needs to go to off topic I will move it.

Edited by 481IceDragon, 05 February 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#2 DartSlinger

DartSlinger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Wouldn't sandblasting remove or eat into part of the shell? Also, why not just rough up the current paint job with a sanding sponge so that your next coat sticks?

Sandpaper removes details on a blaster's shell and doesn't reach into crevices very well. I would recommend a sanding sponge instead if one should choose that route. This of course wouldn't matter if you were painting something that is smooth, though.

#3 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Wouldn't sandblasting remove or eat into part of the shell? Also, why not just rough up the current paint job with a sanding sponge so that your next coat sticks?

Sandpaper removes details on a blaster's shell and doesn't reach into crevices very well. I would recommend a sanding sponge instead if one should choose that route. This of course wouldn't matter if you were painting something that is smooth, though.

Yes sandblasting could depending on how much you do it. Just like regular sandpaper. And the point is to completely remove the paint, because certain blasters have moving parts that rub against each other. Also, if its an older paint job, the pant may be curling up, chipping, or just plain shitty. You always want a smooth fresh surface to paint on. Now if this were an automobile, I'm not saying if you paint a car, to strip into bare metal every time, as that's unnecessary. But I prefer as few added layers to the blaster as possible. For example on the recon, or maverick, alpha trooper, raider, longshot, longstrike etc.. Where the priming mechanism is, there is friction. The more paint you stack on top of each other the more friction, and you get marks.

Sorry for writing a book and a half on that..

#4 Siriuslyharry

Siriuslyharry

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Great, you saved us a whole google search.

Having experience/pictures regarding what you are talking about would make this a lot more useful. How do I *know* if paint stripping chemicals can eat away at plastic if you don't know what you're talking about? What kind of equipment do I need for sandblasting? What does the end product of this process look like? (Rhetorical)

The information here is useful but not particularly needed or accessible (again with the google thing...) so I advise you to improve this thread and future ones so that you don't get chosen to attend the next tribal council. You may not be so lucky next time.

#5 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Great, you saved us a whole google search.

Having experience/pictures regarding what you are talking about would make this a lot more useful. How do I *know* if paint stripping chemicals can eat away at plastic if you don't know what you're talking about? What kind of equipment do I need for sandblasting? What does the end product of this process look like? (Rhetorical)

The information here is useful but not particularly needed or accessible (again with the google thing...) so I advise you to improve this thread and future ones so that you don't get chosen to attend the next tribal council. You may not be so lucky next time.

I made this post with the assumption that the readers had some background knowledge in painting, so I didn't feel the need for pictures of what sandpaper does, or where to get a sandblasting machine, how to set it up, and how to run it. I put in the post where to see what the results were from the purple power. This wasn't a comparison thread it was mainly about the purple power. I just put the others up there for some reasons I wouldn't use them...I also stated I will soon be adding pictures to this thread when I strip my swarmfire. Again with the whole hostility thing...jeez. if you honestly have that much of a problem, report the thread, and the admins will close it if they see fit.

I'm not 100 percent positive but I'm fairly sure last night a few of the admins or mods viewed the post, and they let it be.

And please unless it's about the Purple power or paint removal methods please just PM me.

Edited by 481IceDragon, 06 February 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just because I let it be doesn't mean it isn't marginal at best.

This thread is very close to being content free: You've told us of the existence of Purple Power and a few characteristics, sent us off searching for someone else's video, and promised pictures at a later date. Protip: if you intend to take pictures of a process or blaster, don't post until you have the pictures.. A review of Purple Power and how to work with it in repainting blasters would be very useful. As Harry said, what you've given us isn't much better than giving us the name and saying, "Google it". As other threads show, NH likes content to be posted here, not linked to someplace else. Show us, don't tell us where to find it.

In other words, this thread is on a very short leash. Add some content. Soon.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

In other words, this thread is on a very short leash. Add some content. Soon.

Alright I will have pictures uploaded by this weekend at the latest.

#8 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Apparently Simple Green, another cleaning product, also works for this. I saw it long ago on YouTube and can't find the same video again.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Apparently Simple Green, another cleaning product, also works for this. I saw it long ago on YouTube and can't find the same video again.

This thread is very close to being content free: You've told us of the existence of Purple Power and a few characteristics, sent us off searching for someone else's video, and promised pictures at a later date. Protip: if you intend to take pictures of a process or blaster, don't post until you have the pictures.. A review of Purple Power and how to work with it in repainting blasters would be very useful. As Harry said, what you've given us isn't much better than giving us the name and saying, "Google it". As other threads show, NH likes content to be posted here, not linked to someplace else. Show us, don't tell us where to find it.

I'm just going to close this thread. When someone has some actual content to post, feel free to start a new thread.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users