Photo

Log Home Help Foam questions

13 replies to this topic

#1 Super0dp

Super0dp

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I would like to buy some log Home Help white FBR. I have a few questions about It though:

1. Is it moderatly heat resistant? (I.E. does it melt like crap foam)
2. What is the fit in PETG? (I am going to use it for an AT3K with 12" PETG barrels)
3. How dense is it? (Soft, Moderate, Hard)

To Admins:
Ryan's guide does not include Log Home Help foam.
If there is a similar thread about PETG I think this can slide.
Got Tools?

#2 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

In my own experience:

1. Yea it is moderately resistant. I dont think you would be in a situation in which it would fail you on this front.

2. My batch was a pretty good PETG springer fit. This should be decent for a pretty high powered 3K, even though its not a springer.

3. Moderate to hard. I was happy with the density.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#3 thebob13666

thebob13666

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'll second all of that. It is much more heat resistant than most foam I have seen. I haven't used it in PETG but it is a very tight fit in CPVC. It is pretty dense/hard foam.

The only issue I have seen with it is that it doesn't straighten out as easily as most softer FBR, but I admit I have never tried methods other than tension to straighten them. Heating them in a section of brass tube may produce better results for you.

#4 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

The cell density (cells per volume) is somewhat low.
The density is unknown to me because it's difficult to measure and also irrelevant.
The rigidity is significantly greater than typical FBR or nerf foam. Slightly more rigid than the pink foam that I sell.
The durability of the foam is probably the better than any other FBR made to nerf caliber.

Beware that individual batches might vary, so the foam that I have seen may not be the same as the foam that you see.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#5 Super0dp

Super0dp

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

So it does not have springer fit in CPVC?
In that case does anyone know of white or bright colored foam that has springer fit in CPVC, and is relatively heat resistant?

Edited by Super0dp, 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Got Tools?

#6 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

So it does not have springer fit in CPVC?
In that case does anyone know of white or bright colored foam that has springer fit in CPVC, and is relatively heat resistant?

Yes. Mod Man's Red "Cera Rod" Foam. It is excellent stuff. I would recommend it over Log Home any day, especially when dealing with CPVC springers. Note- the density is a bit lower than log home, but its still great.

The Thread

There is also an online mass distributer of this stuff if you want to buy more than 100' at a time. PM me for info.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#7 thebob13666

thebob13666

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

It will work in most CPVC springers, even tho it will be a bit tight.

With the batch I got, not all of it was perfectly round. There are noticeable flat spots and even some depressions running along the length. I would stick with what Kane recommends.

#8 T da B

T da B

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Both the LogHomeStore and Mod Man's red foam are an unusably tight fit in CPVC. I have yet to find a smaller diameter foam of high quality to fit CPVC. From my experience, the LogHomeStore foam is excellent, although very expensive (50 cents/foot). I did a foam review on my blog recently if you want to check out my comparison of 5 types of common foam.

~T da B
Make it funky.

#9 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Throw out the misconception that there's such a thing as general springer fit in CPVC. CPVC has an incredibly variable ID. I have an old CPVC speedloader from a Home Depot batch in eastern CT where stock streamlines fall right through it - this piece can take white log home foam straight out of the packaging. I've also got some western CT batches that are in "the middle" for CPVC - not as large as the eastern batch, but not nearly as tight as the CPVC most people field. This stuff takes beige well and white if you've got something more powerful than an RBP.

You are best off keeping several different ID batches - this way the size of the foam you buy does not matter. White log home tends to be fat, so it usually needs to be heated and then stretched to fit in most batches. This foam is superior when you take the effort to match it to your barrels. It is very resistant to heat and wear of time.

From what I've used,

Red cera rod > white log home in slugs and hoppers
White log home > red cera rod in domes and speedloaders (and RSCBs for some reason)

With the batch I got, not all of it was perfectly round. There are noticeable flat spots and even some depressions running along the length

^ That happens during shipping. If you buy enough that it requires a box, it won't have defects from things resting on top of the package. It is perfectly round off the spool.

Both the LogHomeStore and Mod Man's red foam are an unusably tight fit in CPVC. I have yet to find a smaller diameter foam of high quality to fit CPVC.

^ Not looking hard enough or too lazy to heat and stretch. Post again in like 5 years and you'll have barrels for everything you need, or take the time to get the results you want today. Also,

Pink MHA > white log home in slugs and hoppers. You don't have the pink reviewed on your site and you should. The pink stuff is beastly and makes among the cleanest slugs there are. It would be my first choice for foam if it were more readily available (I don't yet make metal-free darts).

Although, it really does not matter what you're using as long as you know its tendencies well. People get caught up (self included) chasing the "best" foam and at the end of the day, a reliable setup is best. If you've got a great dart-barrel fit, a steady supply of foam, and are hitting things on the field of battle, who cares. I use cheap, trashy gray foam (mixed sources) most of the time and it brings in hits. Especially in this era of slugs and metal-free alternatives, the type of foam you are using does not matter as much as it did in the era of slingshot domes.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#10 Super0dp

Super0dp

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thank you Duxburian, your info was very helpfull
Considering I will be using domes with speed loaders and turrets I think it will be ok.

Thank you every one for your help and info.
Got Tools?

#11 T da B

T da B

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Throw out the misconception that there's such a thing as general springer fit in CPVC. CPVC has an incredibly variable ID.

Right--I totally forgot to mention that I'm using "Flowguard Gold" CPVC.

^ Not looking hard enough or too lazy to heat and stretch. Post again in like 5 years and you'll have barrels for everything you need, or take the time to get the results you want today.

Too lazy would be accurate. Also, I'm moving away from CPVC--all my hoppers and slide breeches are PVC-based and none of my good darts fit Flowguard Gold CPVC anyways.

I use cheap, trashy gray foam (mixed sources) most of the time and it brings in hits. Especially in this era of slugs and metal-free alternatives, the type of foam you are using does not matter as much as it did in the era of slingshot domes.

Totally disagree. Low-quality foam will deform very quickly and lose its accuracy and fit. Also, my stronger blasters often destroy shitty grey foam darts in one shot--quality blasters need quality foam. Besides longevity, I've also gotten significant range increases by using better foam.

Now I must ask--where does one get this "Pink MHA?"
Make it funky.

#12 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Totally disagree. Low-quality foam will deform very quickly and lose its accuracy and fit. Also, my stronger blasters often destroy shitty grey foam darts in one shot--quality blasters need quality foam. Besides longevity, I've also gotten significant range increases by using better foam.

Now I must ask--where does one get this "Pink MHA?"

If you're interested in making metal-free darts...

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=23516

/shamless plug

I would like to note that using low-quality gray foam not only makes shitty darts, it's a lot more difficult to find in pretty much any setting (maybe not snow) over white or pink foam. You'll just end up making more darts because of all the ones you'll lose. And if you're one of those people who searches for every last dart, it will usually take forever.

#13 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Right--I totally forgot to mention that I'm using "Flowguard Gold" CPVC.

I'm not using Flowguard, but I'd like to point out that I have to actually take a dart to the store when I go CPVC shopping, because from one pile of CPVC at my local boxes I can find some with a good fit and some with a terrible fit. Even along the length of any given CPVC pipe, the ID varies enough for some portions to be better/worse.

#14 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

By shitty gray foam, I don't mean Frost King style suckiness. There's some grays in the world that don't melt the moment you put a glue gun to it or get shredded by 4Bs on the first shot. Everything used to be made with gray or black and wars were still fun. Max was the only blaster I had that was truly picky with what it could shoot - my current ones will shoot whatever as long as the barrel is a good match. Although, you have to factor in playing styles - I prefer not to engage at the edge of my range, but to rush and get in closer. Most of these shots are taken at mid-range and thus it doesn't matter what's being fired as long as it shoots straight. I don't like long range standoffs even when fielding a long range blaster - every shot that doesn't hit something is wasted except when taken to provide cover. Good quality foam will give you more range, but how much of that range do you actually use? What % of your shots hit at above 120ft?

I'm not saying to go out and use mediocre foam for every shot. I'm saying don't get caught up chasing the best foam because the differences are often insignificant in wars.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users