Photo

Wintertime painting. How do YOU do it?

5 replies to this topic

#1 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I really enjoy painting blasters, way more then modding, but I live in the second artic circle of the civilized world. This place may be know to some of you as "MINNESOTA". As the majority of you know, paint does not react well with cold weather, and our highs lately have been around -5ish, without wind chill. I've heard things about keeping the cans and projects in warm areas then spraying quickly and bringing them back inside, but the fumes from curing are still awful.

I've also heard vinyl dye can be sprayed in nearly any temperature. But dye is pricey, and color selection is limited.
So I guess just post how you paint in the winter, if you do, but don't post, "I paint in my living room." As I am not at my own residence and have been forbidden from using aerosol paints in the house.

#2 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I usually wait for a decent day.

If I have too I have heated my garage with a space heater and done it before (You pretty much need a respirator for this, not even mentioning warning everyone living in your house about the fumes).

Otherwise I wouldn't recommend trying to 'spray it quick and bring it in' It doesn't work that well (have tried, even with heating the cans and work piece) and clear coat REALLY does not like being applied under 50 degrees.
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#3 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I usually wait for a decent day.

If I have too I have heated my garage with a space heater and done it before (You pretty much need a respirator for this, not even mentioning warning everyone living in your house about the fumes).

Otherwise I wouldn't recommend trying to 'spray it quick and bring it in' It doesn't work that well (have tried, even with heating the cans and work piece) and clear coat REALLY does not like being applied under 50 degrees.

I always wear a respirator anyways. The guy that painted my longshot for me, and a bunch of my other blasters, actually had a respiratory and throat disease from painting so much with out a mask. He also does spray paint art which your bending down right in it, and it's so bad for him.

And a space heater...I would be afraid as hell of the fumes blowing up or something..those things scare the crap outta me, and spray can clear is a finicky product as it is..

#4 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Your going to laugh at me but I sealed of a room in my house. It was more of a closet then a room really but it had a window and a thermostat. I left the window open a crack, cranked the heat and sealed the door with duct tape and a tarp.

It came out...poor and was a bad idea as it made the room smell funky till I moved a few years later.

I believe that some of the Canadians on the east coast would paint in the hallways of their apartment buildings. I have no idea how they pulled that off.

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#5 mr trouble

mr trouble

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Sometimes I paint in a heated storage unit that I'm renting. It makes for a nice place to store projects. If you really like painting you can get a small sealed paining booth that you could theoretically use inside your house as it seals most of the air inside the booth and filters the fumes with a large fan and filters. It's possible to make one if your really desperate.
The FNG
Mr. Trouble is never up to any good keep tabs on him by visiting HellionLabs.com

#6 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I live in upstate New York and I just recently started painting blasters, first I tried it in my basement and my parents didn't take too kindly to that. So I tried out in the garage with the door open and a hair dryer and was actually pretty surprised with how the paint turned out. For the most part things came out pretty well, though I'm still new at painting so I haven't really perfected my painting techniques yet. Hair dryers or a heat gun really help though when it comes to reducing drying time, down to almost a few minutes before it's dry to touch instead of something like forty minutes so I like using one.
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users