Buzzbee Panther Arm Cannon

100% Canadian

16 replies to this topic

#1 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Now I’m sure that mostly everyone is tired of seeing the same old panther mod: Slapping on a coupler or bushing and calling it good. However, this mod is something both 100% original and awesome.

My apologies if this doesn't count as a homemade, but I did create everything but the tanks and check valves.

Here’s what we’re making:

Posted Image

Pick your jaw off the desk, scroll down, and enjoy the writeup.

First off, Here’s what you will need:
Buzzbee Panther x8
Pipe that you can slide your hand into comfortably (I used 3” PEX)
Tape
¼” vinyl tubing (lots)
½” PVC endcap x4
½”PVC
½”CPVC
Dowel that will fit inside CPVC
Two part epoxy (lots)
Hotglue gun
Hotglue
Connecting t’s for tubing x7
Electrical tape
½” PVC coupler x4
Bike pump
Thick metal rod
Conical sealing bit
Small springs
Sharpie
Dremel with assorted bits
Drill
Pliers
Sidecutters

First off, we will be making the part that holds the panthers together and on your arm. To make this, I used 3” PEX pipe to create a nice solid mount for the tanks. I would recommend that you use whatever size pipe is most comfortable.

Start by cutting the pipe to your preferred length, most of this is preference based, but I cut mine down to this length:

Posted Image

Now mark out where you want to cut the pipe so that your hand will fit on the handle:

Posted Image

Cut out the marked areas

Posted Image

And sand down the edges nice and smooth:

Posted Image

Now for the handle.
I did this by drilling a hole through the pipe big enough for a dowel to fit into, and then fit cpvc on top of the dowel.

It turned out like this:

Posted Image

To evenly space the tanks, I wrapped tape around the base pipe once like so:

Posted Image

Took it off, marked eight evenly spaced lines, and then transferred those lines to the base pipe:

Posted Image

Your arm mount is finished for now, lets move on to the tanks.

First, separate the tank and pump from the trigger like so:

Posted Image

Save this piece from each tank:

Posted Image

As well as two of the pumps you cut off.

Mod the tank however you want, though I would recommend keeping that ring for use as a spacer when you attach the tank to the arm mount.

Glue your tanks on like so, and epoxy a length of tubing into the back of each one:

Posted Image
(Yes this is only four. It’s a lot easier to see than with eight.)
In order to allow the tanks to be fired off of one trigger, we’ll need to create some air splitters.

Cut off all of the ends of two tees, like this:

Posted Image
(You only need to do this for one if you are only using four tanks)

Just cut off the botton end of four others,

Posted Image

and epoxy them all together like so:

Posted Image

Glue four tanks to each end of the splitter. If you plan on using eight tanks like I did, you'll need to make two splitters.

Now it’s time to rig up the check valves.

Take one of your tees and attach a length of cpvc to both ends of the tee.

Posted Image

Now cut off the check valves from two panther pumps.

Posted Image

Wrap the two lengths of cpvc in electrical tape:

Posted Image

And glue on the two check valves:

Posted Image

Because the original Panther triggers didn’t provide enough airflow to vent four tanks at once, I made my own backpressure triggers that could handle the large amount of air.
First, drill a hole in one end cap like so:

Posted Image

Be sure that it allows your metal rod to slide freely.

Now cut a length of PVC long enough to seal one end cap on either end, and epoxy the recently drilled cap to one end.

Posted Image

Once the epoxy has cured, drill four ¼” holes in the attached cap, making sure to go through the PVC as well:

Posted Image

Ream out the end of the PVC just a little to create a better seal:

Posted Image

E-tape and glue a piece of brass just inside the PVC to prevent your seal from popping through the pipe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take the second end cap and drill two ¼” holes in it as shown.

Posted Image

Epoxy in some tubing and add a spring to the bottom:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please wait for part two.

Edited by nine, 02 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#2 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Now we will create the seal for the trigger, taking our conical sealing bit and epoxying a short piece of dowel inside:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now attach a length of your metal rod to the sealing piece:

Posted Image

The rod should be at long enough to pass through the hole in the top of the trigger and seal at the end of the PVC.

Your trigger should look like this fully assembled:

Posted Image

Epoxy your preferred number of triggers to the handle on the arm mount in comfortable positions:

Posted Image

Cut down the ends of the rod so that you can press the triggers in easier.

Now add some classy Canadian dimes as buttons.

Posted Image

Now to start hooking up these tanks. First, epoxy on your pump somewhere comfortable.

Posted Image

Attach it to the splitter with check valves attached:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now glue tubes into the rest of the system as shown in this diagram:

Posted Image

Your finished product should look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whip up some rscbs and fit them to the couplers.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Congrats! Now you’ve got one of the coolest weapons of mass destruction ever created.

Youtube Video

Pardon the somewhat dated quality, I made this a long time ago and only just finished the writeup.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#3 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

This is amazing! I think we can all agree that this is the most ambitious panther mod anyone has ever seen. Although I would suggest sleaving the whole thing with larger pipe. Even though it would make it heavier it would make it look nicer. Also what is the rof like on this thing?

Edited by quertyman, 09 January 2013 - 12:32 AM.

I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#4 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

This is amazing! I think we can all agree that this is the most ambitious panther mid anyone has ever seen. Although I would suggest sleaving the whole thing with larger pipe. Even though it would make it heavier it would make it look nicer. Also what is the rof like on this thing?

I agree that a sleeve would be a good idea. I was contemplating doing just that before I was sidetracked with other things.
As for the rate of fire, I get two separate shots firing four darts each. However, I have to pump the blaster forty times to achieve decent ranges. The nice thing about this system is that you can still pump the tanks after only one burst has been fired without having to worry about over filling the unfired tanks.

Check out my YouTube!

#5 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

This is supah fugly. I like it. That was a complement. 40 pumps is kind of ridiculous. Also, how much would this modification(?) cost?
P.S. I like your avatar. ;)
"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#6 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

So its kinda like an oprv in that when one side is pressurized the other side will fill till they are at the same pressure right? I know if I tried this I would horribly fail with all of that tubing haha.

#7 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

This is supah fugly. I like it. That was a complement. 40 pumps is kind of ridiculous. Also, how much would this modification(?) cost?
P.S. I like your avatar. ;)

Thanks. I agree that 40 pumps is way too many, but it's totally worth it. Pricewise, this blaster was a really heavy hitter. It set me back close to $100 in the end, taking all materials and blasters in to account.

So its kinda like an oprv in that when one side is pressurized the other side will fill till they are at the same pressure right?

That is correct.

Edited by nine, 03 January 2013 - 12:59 AM.

Check out my YouTube!

#8 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Mmmmm, Damn That's sexy.

How long was the build time on the project?

Have you had any problems with leaks?

I would recommend the use of a titan pump or, a dual action ball pump.
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#9 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

Mmmmm, Damn That's sexy.

How long was the build time on the project?

Have you had any problems with leaks?

I would recommend the use of a titan pump or, a dual action ball pump.

Haha, thanks.
The whole project took me about a month to finish, but I have only had problems with my jerry rigged backpressure triggers leaking at low pressures. After I get to about three pumps they start to seal and don't leak at all.

Check out my YouTube!

#10 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Impressive! Wasn't expecting a write-up for this. Will there be a Mk. 2 for this? Also is it heavy?
I like bacon.

#11 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

The nice thing about this system is that you can still pump the tanks after only one burst has been fired without having to worry about over filling the unfired tanks.

You'd only have to pump ~20 times in that case, right?

So its kinda like an oprv in that when one side is pressurized the other side will fill till they are at the same pressure right?

The pump will pressurize the side with lower pressure first. It's not the case that air can flow from one side to the other, though. I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking or not.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#12 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Impressive! Wasn't expecting a write-up for this. Will there be a Mk. 2 for this? Also is it heavy?

There probably won't be a Mk. 2, if only because of how long it took me to build this one. It is pretty heavy with all of the RSCBs attached, seeming heavier than a Longshot.

You'd only have to pump ~20 times in that case, right?

That is correct.

Check out my YouTube!

#13 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

How hard is the trigger pull on this and what ranges can it get? Is it improved due to the wide flow trigger?

#14 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

How hard is the trigger pull on this and what ranges can it get? Is it improved due to the wide flow trigger?

The trigger pull is fairly easy, though I must say that the buttons helped a lot. I'm not sure what the ranges are, but they seem to be the same as my independent panther when both use the same RSCB.

Check out my YouTube!

#15 ultranewt

ultranewt

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

really cool idea. all nerf projects should be this badass

#16 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

This is amazing.
I watched the vid for this a bit ago, and was very impressed.
Excellent mod, beautiful work.
S.C.U.N.

#17 Seven7h Man

Seven7h Man

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

This thing is a cluster fuck of awesome. I'd hate to have to out shoot who ever was chasing me down with it (namely rork).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users