Dremel Recommendations

23 replies to this topic

#1 Spacedragon

Spacedragon

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking into -finally- buying a Dremel so I can work on more difficult mods, but am ensure exactly which model I would want. I figured no one knows better than the customers, so any advice or model recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I know for sure is that I want one that is corded, because I don't want to deal with buying batteries all the time.

Thanks!

#2 TheWiredDJ

TheWiredDJ

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I use a Dremel 300 series (corded, variable speed) and it works great. I would also advise getting a dremel bit kit, generic ones will run you ~$15 and have every sort of bit you'll ever need for project.

Used to commission Nerf guns I guess.

Gallery/Blog.
Facebook page.

#3 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I use This One, which I got at Target for ~$30. It's served me well for years. Totally compatible with all Dremel brand stuff.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#4 Plopper

Plopper

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I would recommend a Chicago Electrics dremel ( I found one at harbor freight for 20 bucks.) Its only a 6 speed but it has about the same power as a regular dremel at its 10th speed.
The picture says all. I am the wise man.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your profile to help him gain world domination. (yes i found this on another profile)

My Blog
-plopper

#5 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

I use this.
It's amazingly comfortable, powerful, comes with what you need, ten speed selection, and, it's got a cord.
Just a great dremel in general, now that I think about it, I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet.
I hope this helps,

Mully
S.C.U.N.

#6 DICE134

DICE134

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

I recommend the Dremel 4000 ( link). I've only had it for a little more than a week , and I highly recommend it. With 35 speeds it is the ultimate tool. I use to own this which is great for cutting pipe such as PVC, but not really good for cutting blasters.

#7 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

I'm quite happy with my 400XPR. Unfortunately, that's an old model, but they're still available used on eBay and seem to be going for $40-60. They're really powerful and built to last. As for bits, you should see about getting an EZ-lock mandrel and some of the reinforced cutting wheels, since they last a lot longer. I would not get an off-brand Dremel. I've had the Harbor Freight ones as loaners and such, and they just don't last.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#8 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

^^
Take Robo's advice. If anything, go for the old models. My Dad gave me his which is more than ten years old, at it is still going strong. If not, then get yourself a 4000.
"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#9 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

I just use the simple dremel 100 series. It was the cheapest one I could get and it works great. I think I want to get a better one though because it melts plastic easily.
I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#10 CigarBaby

CigarBaby

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

I agree with Mully about the Dremel 3000. I received one as a gift for Christmas and it works amazingly. It's also not priced too high for the kit. It's easy enough to control and has ten different speeds. Heck, I trimmed my dogs nails with it.

#11 Spacedragon

Spacedragon

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Based on everyone's advice, I think I am gonna opt for the 3000, more specifically this set right here.

Pretty good price, comes with a case, should be a good amount of bits included so that I don;t need to spring for an accessory kit right away.

While we're here, anyone have advice on the best brand for cheap, reliable safety glasses? I don't want to use this thing without a pair.

#12 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

9741T411
These are functional AND stylish. Well, maybe not so stylish, but they're quite comfortable compared to the clunky, old-style safety glasses. They're also better at keeping things out of your eyes, since there are fewer gaps around your face. Similar glasses are available at most hardware and home improvement stores. I think wraparound glasses beat just about everything else, in terms of both practicality and functionality.

If you wear glasses, those don't work.

These: 9741T411 are awesome, and they slip right onto your frames. They meet ANSI standards for safety glasses, and they work as advertised. I don't know of anywhere else that sells them.

Edited by roboman, 29 December 2012 - 02:57 AM.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#13 Kansas City 1706

Kansas City 1706

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Personaly I use an older model of the Dremel called the Multi pro, it is very similar to today's version of the 4000. I think that it is awesome if you use the right bits. You can make great wooden handels as well as being able to use variable speeds.

#14 Super0dp

Super0dp

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Dremel 4000 Value pack. comes with case, router, sharpener and bits+bit case.
Got Tools?

#15 Bobololo

Bobololo

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

While we're here, anyone have advice on the best brand for cheap, reliable safety glasses? I don't want to use this thing without a pair.

I bought a $13 face shield from Home Depot and I love it. Covers all of your face and then some, so flying plastic bits can't find a way into your eyes like they can with safety glasses. It will also protect your face from sparks and most other debris you can think of. I wish I bought one sooner

#16 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Be careful when removing the bit that is holding the cutter disc. Those disks are brittle and break easily.

I also have a Dremel 300 with a set of accessories, got for 60 euros when in Germany earlier this year.
The most useful accessory is the hand tool (I cannot think what to call it), model 225, that connects to and is
powered from the Dremel. It is about the size of a fat-pen, much easier to hold, and all the bits can be mounted into it.

Just looked it up, its called a flex-shaft attachment, http://www.dremel.co...aspx?pid=225-01

Edited by Hammy, 30 December 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#17 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Get the 300 series. It is a good tool for a good price. I would also recommend some zip-bits, as they are capable of very fast cuts.(albeit, a little messy)
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#18 BAMNerf

BAMNerf

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have the 3000. I would go to harbor freight and get the diamond cutting wheels, so much better then the crappy brown cutting disks.
"Nerf is just a glorified version of tag."

#19 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Not sure if it has been said yet, but it has definitely been implied. Avoid anything that uses batteries, corded is the way to go.

as far as cutting disks these are what I use. I have heard that diamond disks are prone to shattering if you aren't cutting the right materials.
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#20 Spacedragon

Spacedragon

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did in fact go with a Dremel 3000, and I'll post back once It shows up and I can test it out.

#21 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

If you wear glasses, those don't work.

These: 9741T411 are awesome, and they slip right onto your frames. They meet ANSI standards for safety glasses, and they work as advertised. I don't know of anywhere else that sells them.

I think you meant to link to something else, because that's the same thing as the first glasses you mentioned.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#22 moviemakerbros

moviemakerbros

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I have a Dremel 100 and It works great! Even though It's really basic, It's still a great buy. If your willing to spend quite some money, I would recommend a Dremel 300 or a Dremel 4000. Their both excellent buys!
Moviemakerbros $

#23 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I hazard a guess that the Dremel 300 model is now obsolete, superceeded by the 3000

Edited by Hammy, 02 January 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#24 mangonerf

mangonerf

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

i don't know the dremel stylus is really good i use a old dremel
from 1970 it works great for me i thing its called a dremel 250

Punctuation and capitalization: at NH, it's not just a good idea, it's the law. Fix that, please.

Edited by Carbon, 07 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

"paintball shoots pain, airsoft shoots plastic and nerf shoots metal. I think you can tell which one is awesome."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users