Photo

TrustFire unprotected use questions

12 replies to this topic

#1 Nerfmodderdude

Nerfmodderdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have a Nerf Stampede with a gigantic 11.2 kilogram spring in it. Unfortunately it won't prime with that wimpy 9 volts. I am thinking about using 4 TrustFires for it. What I want to know is how do you use TrustFires that are unprotected. I mean don't they balloon like lipo batteries if you over discharge? If that is an issue should I buy a lipo cutoff alarm? Or can I tell just from using the batteries in the blaster? If you read all of that you are persistent. Thank you. :)

Edited by Nerfmodderdude, 16 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Well, it depends what kind of charger you use, the one I have has an automatic cut-off switch.
I'd say it's not a problem at all, if you use this charger.
I hope this helps :)

EDIT:
I received a dysfunctional batch once, off of ebay, and they were heating up a LOT when I was trying to charge them.
I'd check em occasionally on the first few charges.

Mully

Edited by Mully, 16 December 2012 - 03:06 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#3 Nerfmodderdude

Nerfmodderdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about discharge, not charging. When should I stop using the battery when it is plugged into a blaster. Can I tell if the battery is just running low by using the blaster or do I need to buy a cutoff alarm (like a cell spy). If you don't know what I am talking about it is the fact that lipo ( lithium polymer) batteries will be damaged beyond repair if you use it until it is literally flat (no voltage). I am out of posts so I will reply later as soon possible.

#4 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about discharge, not charging. When should I stop using the battery when it is plugged into a blaster. Can I tell if the battery is just running low by using the blaster or do I need to buy a cutoff alarm (like a cell spy). If you don't know what I am talking about it is the fact that lipo ( lithium polymer) batteries will be damaged beyond repair if you use it until it is literally flat (no voltage). I am out of posts so I will reply later as soon possible.

You should be able to tell by listening to the blaster and it's rate of fire. It will naturally decrease. It is pretty easy to know when it decreases. If you can't tell by the ROF, then you shouldn't be using them. You should be fine. Don't waste your money on a cell spy. It is not worth it.
"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#5 Nerfmodderdude

Nerfmodderdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

So what if I am using a Rayven or Hail-Fire? Can I tell from noise? Should I just change out batteries as soon as I hear or feel a range loss or noise reduction? Or is there a certain point where I should change them in the discharge cycle?

#6 ilikefish58

ilikefish58

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Why not just recharge them after every use? Then you don't even have to worry about it. I've done that with trusties in my stampede and vulcan (and barricades and rayvens on occasion) for a while and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

#7 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

You're right I misunderstood.
The way I know it's time for a recharge is when my blaster doesn't roar anymore, and it's only get stock ranges(in this case, a rayven)
It's time for a charge as soon as you see a dramatic drop in performance.
I wouldn't worry about them ballooning, I've never witnessed/heard of them doing it.

Mully
S.C.U.N.

#8 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Stop using them and recharge them when you notice a decrease in performance. Lots of people charge them and then play a week-long HvZ game before charging them again.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#9 Nerfmodderdude

Nerfmodderdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

What is the charge time for TrustFires? Can I blast them with a 3-5c charge on a RC charger? I am a little impatient on battery charge times. It's like watching paint dry.

#10 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I don't know if you can use an RC charger. As far as I know, nobody's tried it; everyone uses the TrustFire charger.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#11 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I don't know if you can use an RC charger. As far as I know, nobody's tried it; everyone uses the TrustFire charger.

You should handle unprotected Trustfire batteries with caution, meaning,

Do not short circuit them.
Do not let them get wet .
Do not put them into the the wrong way.
Do not mix them with other types of battery
Only use the proper charger to charge them up.

Failure to observe these basic safety percautions, maens that the battery will heatup excessively and possibly explode.

So that means no you should not use the RC charger.

Edited by Hammy, 23 December 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#12 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I agree with Hammy!
Mix-matching batteries and chargers is always dangerous!
It really doesn't take that long for them to charge, only about 2-3 hours.
As stated above, you really shouldn't have a problem with them, as long as you use the designated charger.
I can almost guarantee that using the wrong charger will destroy your batteries.
Hope this helps,

Mully
S.C.U.N.

#13 Nerfmodderdude

Nerfmodderdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the info! Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users