Open the Stryfe (unmodified internals shown)
This first lock prevents you from pulling the trigger if you are not activating the motor switch. You can simply remove the shown piece to disable this lock.
The next lock prevents you from pulling the trigger if a magazine is not inserted. This one also requires simply pulling it out to deactivate it.
This lock prevents you from pulling the trigger if a dart is not loaded in the magazine. You can remove this one very easily, just like all the other locks.
Photo of all the locks removed.
Clearing the electrical circuit will disable the magazine switch and access door switch. Also, the plate in the back will prevent you from using four UltraFires at once, so removing it will allow you to utilize a higher voltage.
Stock motor set-up.
I replaced the motors with two motors I found in a local hobby shop. They were made for RC helicopters and are quite powerful. They are a bit longer than the stock motors, so shell modification was necessary for them to work.
Motor specs: The motors are made by Blade. If you type 'EFLH1210B' into Google you can find the motors online. I paid $10.99 USD each because I had to size them up in person and the shop I go to has slightly higher prices. I bought a 'right' and 'left' version which have their positive and negative changed so they rotate in opposite directions.
I didn’t reinstall the resistors to the motors.
I experimented with using RC wheels as replacement flywheels, but I was getting nasty residue from the wheels because of the RPM. I may try different wheels later, but for now I’m sticking with the default flywheels.
However, I did apply a layer of Plasti-dip to the wheels for increased traction. The stock flywheels were pretty slick so I figure this will help grip the darts.
Modifications completed and all pieces reinstalled.
I glued two paint caps over the holes I had to cut for the motors to fit in the shell. It doesn’t look super clean, but I had to cover the exposed motor pieces.
Finished blaster. Not terribly relevant to this over view, but the paint job details are: Grey vinyl dye base coat by Duplicolor, ‘Enchanted Blue’ accents by Citadel, and ‘Chaos Black’ dry brushing by Citadel. I finished the paint with a gloss clear coat by Krylon.
The gloss coat makes photographing this blaster difficult. When there is enough light for the camera to get a good shot, there is mad reflection.
I do not have ranges, but the initial velocity is significantly higher than in stock form. I do not have space for a range test and will not have ranges any time soon.
The motor swap does not affect range all that much. While the RPM does seem to be a bit higher on the same voltage, the biggest advantage is being able to run on a higher voltage safely. With the stock motors, running four UltraFires will cause them to burn out over time. I’ve revved the motors for a pretty long time and put quite a few rounds through the blaster with the new motors and have not smelled or noticed anything with the new motors. You should not expect massive RPM gains from motors like these, the increased durability is the reason to do it.
Edited by Coop, 13 December 2012 - 11:26 AM.