Photo

Free Gmail Account

37 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

I don't know how many people here are interested but gmail accounts are apparently going for $50+ on eBay and I already have two so I thought I'd donate one to the community.

The contest: Explain, in 500 words or less, why you want a gmail account.

The prize: One gmail beta invitation. An opportunity to grab a short* account name before they're all taken.

I'll close submissions tomorrow morning and open it up for voting.

* Unfortunately, they have a 6 char minimum so my usual name was out of the question.

Edit: Due to the recent batch of invites sent out to current testers, the value of this prize is now approximately $10.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:03 PM

www.geocities.com/rawray7/gmail.html

i'm stawrvang - help.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

Heh.

Nice p'shop Ray.

#4 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:45 PM

Whats a Gmail account?

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:13 PM

Gmail is Google's response to free web-based email accounts like hotmail or yahoo mail. It is currently beta testing with several tens of thousands of users.

It's got a very nice interface and offers 1Gb of storage compared to around 5Mb in a typical free email account. The two coolest features are the threaded discussion style view and the full text email searching.

I currently have all my 'vanity' email addresses (k@juvin.com, cxwq@nerfhaven.com, etc) forwarding to my two gmail accounts because it's the nicest mail reader I've used and I can access it anywhere.

The reason you want an account now when they'll be freely available in a few months is because now you could potentially get yourname@gmail.com but when a few million people sign up you end up with y0urname71@gmail.com because everything else is taken.

#6 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

What about file transfer size? Hotmail has a really shitty limit on the size of any files included...I usually have to send more than one e-mail to get it all out.

IE, the NF mod, if you remember.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:36 PM

Gmail has a 10Mb per message limit. The beauty is you could receive 100 of those before having to delete any.

#8 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

That kills Hotmail's 1MB...I might get a bit bored tonight. I dunno if I can compete with rawray, though...that guy needs some Ramen or something.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#9 BoltMasterZero

BoltMasterZero

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:21 PM

Here's my pitiful entry... W00t for Paint!

Posted Image

#10 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image

#11 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

I don't even have anywhere to host images. Have pity on me.
NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#12 Tennisking

Tennisking

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

I think boltmasterzero deserves it for sure. He has a great reason and he contributes to the forum. I mean wat is a better way to thank him for his contributions.
---------Matt-----------

#13 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:18 PM

I think boltmasterzero deserves it for sure. He has a great reason and he contributes to the forum.  I mean wat is a better way to thank him for his contributions.

I have to do ten Hail Mary's before i get a bowl of rice and a tin can of water. boltsmasterzero and his 1st world country doesn't stand a chance.

Edited by rawray7, 10 June 2004 - 11:19 PM.

#14 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:21 AM

Post them here.

I personally don't need a Gmail account, because I use Outlook anyways.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#15 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:00 AM

Post them here.

I personally don't need a Gmail account, because I use Outlook anyways.

~Vintage

Vintage, he meant that as a joke. He meant that he was so poor that he couldn't even get a FREE website to host his images.

The thing about G-mail is that it's better than Outlook. Outlook sucks in my opinion, period. The worst part is, you have to be on YOUR computer to get your e-mails. G-mail, on the other hand, is accessable from anywhere, anytime. That is the biggest perk, obviously. Also, it's probably got more space than you're willing to devote your harddrive to for e-mail storage.

It's like a better, bigger, easy to use, better, accessable anywhere - Outlook inbox.

But really... the only reason I want this G-mail account is because Hotmail sucks so much cock at keeping worm virus e-mails out of my fucking inbox.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#16 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

Or you can just use Spymac. It doesn't have the message scanner that puts ads in your e-mail like GMail does, and it's free. 1Gb, 350MB of Image Hosting, your own personal BLog, and alot more.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#17 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

Or you can just use Spymac.  It doesn't have the message scanner that puts ads in your e-mail like GMail does, and it's free.  1Gb, 350MB of Image Hosting, your own personal BLog, and alot more.

its funny because i haven't seen an ad yet on my account. not that i've had it forever, but i've sent multiple messages and received a dozen and not one ad. also, i don't get why everyone is so tight ass about this ad system, an algorythm reads your email and puts relevant links in your sidebar. it's 10 times less annoying that a popup, or the flood of banner ads you get at hotmail, or the fact that when you sign out they forward you to a site with more ads and propaganda. personally, i don't mind if a program reads my email to give me links that i might find useful.

which is more annoying?
http://gmail.google....lp/screen2.html
http://www.msn.com

gmail has text on the side based on your interests, not gynormo pictures of women that ask you to join their dating site, or some dead bastard ex-president that everyone is praising so no one pays attention to the fact that even the head of the CIA is calling it quits, and Bush is using the Patriot Act to attempt to delay the opening of a movie largely about the Patriot Act. spymac doesn't look too bad, but god do i hate hotmail.

#18 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:20 PM

Or, theres always http://www.aventuremail.com/ 2 Gigs of storage, and its completely free.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:34 PM

Or, theres always http://www.aventuremail.com/ 2 Gigs of storage, and its completely free.

Don't they have limits on number of messages sent per day or address book entries or something? I seem to remember them offering paid accounts that are un-crippled.

#20 Tennisking

Tennisking

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:02 PM

Aventuremail is not accepting new accounts.
---------Matt-----------

#21 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

head of the CIA is calling it quits

He lives like 1 mile from me, George Tenot (sp).

Crankymonky

Edit: Yahoo doesn't give much space, however I get no ads besides what I mistakenly sign up for. Those are put into bulk box. Sometimes they will send e-mails that I want to there.

Edited by crankymonky, 13 June 2004 - 08:31 AM.

Tyranny Response Team

#22 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:24 AM

Edit: Yahoo doesn't give much space, however I get no ads besides what I mistakenly sign up for. Those are put into bulk box. Sometimes they will send e-mails that I want to there.

People aren't talking about junk mail, they're talking about those huge banners of half naked women selling diet pills spashed down the entire right 1/3 of the page when you log out. They're talking about "claim your domain!" and "free screensavers!" animated ads that are bloody difficult to ignore as they repeatedly flash at seizure-inducing frequencies.

#23 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:05 PM

O ya, now I see that, Get your bachelor degree, lower your debt, liower your mortgage, need credit.

Crankymonky
ko

#24 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:21 PM

Or increase your penis size by 133% by simply paying us $100 a month for placebo pills.

On a side note, everybody should just go to college and get a free email address along with your admission. No ads, no limits. A little expensive for some's taste, but well worth the money.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#25 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:48 PM

http://img52.photobu...rder/liljon.bmp
Say as written. :w00t:

Edited by DJ Hurley, 15 June 2004 - 04:49 PM.

NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users