Photo

If I were to get a metal boltsled for my longshot

9 replies to this topic

#1 mrjellypanda

mrjellypanda

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Would I need to upgrade the other parts also or would the plastic parts be fine?

#2 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

Depends what spring you use.You would probably need to upgrade your catch and catch spring. And you would need to put padding on the plunger head. You may need to also reinforce your trigger with epoxy putty. But, metal bolt sleds are generally pretty expensive. You should look into buying one of these: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1a964a86

Edited by therealnerfjunkies, 17 September 2012 - 03:04 AM.

"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#3 owmyquach

owmyquach

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Depends what spring you use. You obviously wouldn't need to upgrade your bolt sled, but you would probably need to upgrade your catch and catch spring. And you would need to put padding on the plunger head. You may need to also reinforce your trigger with epoxy putty. But, metal bolt sleds are generally pretty expensive. You should look into buying one of these: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1a964a86

Your post is a little confusing... you just said he obviously doesn't need to upgrade his bolt sled when you talked about springs first when he's asking if he needs anything else IF he upgrades.
Anyways, you MIGHT need to upgrade your spring since the metal bolt sled will probably be heavier than the stock plastic one. If that happens (spring upgrade), you might need to upgrade your catch and catch spring like junkies said. I do recommend the plunger head padding even if you just remove your AR, to increase the durability since AR removals make it more prone to wear. The trigger should be okay, since it just releases the catch and the catch is what is keeping the spring compressed. IMO, I don't really think a metal bolt sled is necessary, especially since it costs more than the Longshot (sometimes twice as much), and you could just buy two replacements instead. I think they're really there just to look cool and sound cool, since I don't think you'll be able to prime a spring that will break a reinforced stock bolt sled.

Edited by owmyquach, 17 September 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#4 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

Your post is a little confusing... you just said he obviously doesn't need to upgrade his bolt sled when you talked about springs first when he's asking if he needs anything else IF he upgrades.
Anyways, you MIGHT need to upgrade his spring since the metal bolt sled will probably be heavier than the stock plastic one. If that happens (spring upgrade), you might need to upgrade your catch and catch spring like junkies said. I do recommend the plunger head padding even if you just remove your AR, to increase the durability since AR removals make it more prone to wear. The trigger should be okay, since it just releases the catch and the catch is what is keeping the spring compressed. IMO, I don't really think a metal bolt sled is necessary, especially since it costs more than the Longshot (sometimes twice as much), and you could just buy two replacements instead. I think they're really there just to look cool and sound cool, since I don't think you'll be able to prime a spring that will break a reinforced stock bolt sled.

Okay, I fixed my post. At the time I read it, it seemed understandable, but now that I read it, it is a little confusing.
"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#5 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

If you want to put a metal bolt-sled into your longshot, and nothing else.
Then go ahead, no other changes are necessary.
The performance of your longshot will remain the same.

The reason for wanting to use a metal bolt-sled, is because you want to use a kick-ass spring.
Then a whole host of modifications will be necessary, in which case
go and check longshot under the Nerf Modifications Directory (which is pinned), or the numerous videos on Youtube.

Edited by Hammy, 17 September 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#6 mrjellypanda

mrjellypanda

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Cool, thanks guys. I have done some mods to my longshot. I removed the AR and replaced the stock spring with a big bad bow spring and the plunger is reinforced. It worked amazing although it took two hands to prime, but just recently the bolt sled cracked so I was trying to find what the best replacement would be. Would it be best to replace the boltsled with another plastic one then?

#7 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you have broken one plastic bolt-sled, then it is likely that you will break another plastic bolt-seld, unless you reinforced it.
So check the modification thread for reinforcement solutions on the longshot.

#8 owmyquach

owmyquach

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Cool, thanks guys. I have done some mods to my longshot. I removed the AR and replaced the stock spring with a big bad bow spring and the plunger is reinforced. It worked amazing although it took two hands to prime, but just recently the bolt sled cracked so I was trying to find what the best replacement would be. Would it be best to replace the boltsled with another plastic one then?

Metal bolt sleds are quite expensive, ranging from $60-$80, unless you have the materials to fabricate your own, which even then would require a lot of precise measurements. I recommend you just buy another plastic LS bolt sled and use epoxy to attach an aluminum (.032 thickness is good) or thin steel bolt sled cutout. This only cost me about $5-$8 to do and I have plenty of extra aluminum to reinforce other parts. Also, since it requires you two hands to prime, you might want to make/buy a shotgun foregrip for ease of priming and better distributed force on the bolt sled.

#9 debauch

debauch

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Metal bolt sleds are quite expensive, ranging from $60-$80, unless you have the materials to fabricate your own, which even then would require a lot of precise measurements. I recommend you just buy another plastic LS bolt sled and use epoxy to attach an aluminum (.032 thickness is good) or thin steel bolt sled cutout. This only cost me about $5-$8 to do and I have plenty of extra aluminum to reinforce other parts. Also, since it requires you two hands to prime, you might want to make/buy a shotgun foregrip for ease of priming and better distributed force on the bolt sled.

Metal bolt sleds and full upgrade kits can be bought from eBay for about 30$-40$. Not sure where you found overpriced parts...

Not sure if I should link the site, but you can search eBay for nerf mod kits and look for the professional looking ones with boxes and parts listed.

#10 owmyquach

owmyquach

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Metal bolt sleds and full upgrade kits can be bought from eBay for about 30$-40$. Not sure where you found overpriced parts...

Not sure if I should link the site, but you can search eBay for nerf mod kits and look for the professional looking ones with boxes and parts listed.

Please link me one then, since I'm an active eBay seller/buyer and haven't seen any. The one I refer to is the Remedy Metal bolt sled (I think that's their name). The only ones I've seen are OMW ones and they don't even have Longshot ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users