20 October 2012, Glendora, CA

16 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Welcome to YANO: Yet Another Nerf Out, 2012 edition.

When:
20 October 2012
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Where:
Ole Hammer Park
400 N Live Oak Avenue
Glendora, CA, 91741

View this map with a detailed legend in a larger window.

What to bring:
- Nerf (and other brand) blasters, and homemades. Melee weapons are allowed, but no shields.
- Darts (restricted only to slug darts weighted with either #8 or #6 washers, stock darts, or anything Kane has posted in Ds&Bs).
- Eye protection (mandatory for all participating parties).
- Water, or similarly hydrating beverage.

What not to bring:
- Nothing with an airtank larger than an Ultimate Missile Blaster that is firing anything smaller than a stock missile or Draconis rocket. Just no Titans. I will spot ban things if I think they are suspicious.
- Any sort of glue-tipped dart. Aim to keep dart mass under 1.3g, if they contain metal. Aim to have them tipped with felt.
- Nothing painted black, and no Sceptors with uncovered tanks.

Other information:
- This war is structured to play like wars in Chicago and on the East coast. Gametypes will primarily be in the vein of carpe testiculum and deathmatch as a result, with a heavy bias towards the former.
- No barrel taps. Your ammo should be soft, and will do less damage than hitting them with the barrel of your gun.
- If you haven't made slug darts before, don't worry. They're cheap and simple. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THEM.

I will be happy to answer any questions, either here or via PMs.

Attendance:
Ice Nine
Masked Basset
Some maybes

Edited by Ice Nine, 11 September 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

I presume full-silicone darts are banned?

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#3 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

I am wondering if 4B's are allowed, (no tank plugged, just a hopper with an 11 inch barrel)?

EDIT: What is the age restriction?

Edited by therealnerfjunkies, 29 August 2012 - 12:26 AM.

"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#4 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

I presume full-silicone darts are banned?

No, they are not. I said pretty much any of Kane's experiments in the darts and barrels forums would be allowed, as he holds himself to more stringent standards (generally) than I think are absolutely necessary.

I am wondering if 4B's are allowed, (no tank plugged, just a hopper with an 11 inch barrel)?

EDIT: What is the age restriction?

I was hoping to have excessively-big-tanked guns disallowed, but for the first few wars and with safe ammo, anything that isn't a Titan should be okay, as long as it is not plugged. Pump replacements are a different story altogether, but if you can prove you have an intact and functional OPRV on the gun and it isn't shooting ridiculously, then it'll probably be okay.

No age restriction, but try and keep kids under thirteen under control if they plan on coming, and especially make sure they pay attention to the eye protection rule. Obviously one should use their own discretion here; it seems to me that bringing a younger brother, age of seven, for example, might be a little inappropriate.

Rnbw Cln

#5 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I was hoping to have excessively-big-tanked guns disallowed, but for the first few wars and with safe ammo, anything that isn't a Titan should be okay, as long as it is not plugged. Pump replacements are a different story altogether, but if you can prove you have an intact and functional OPRV on the gun and it isn't shooting ridiculously, then it'll probably be okay.

No age restriction, but try and keep kids under thirteen under control if they plan on coming, and especially make sure they pay attention to the eye protection rule. Obviously one should use their own discretion here; it seems to me that bringing a younger brother, age of seven, for example, might be a little inappropriate.

Okay, thanks. I'll make sure my friend stays under control if I go (probably will).

I can probably go with 2 others, but don't put us on yet because we are not for sure.

Edited by therealnerfjunkies, 02 September 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#6 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Planning on showing up. I might be going down to San Diego that weekend, but it's still up in the air. So if it's not going down you can count on me being at the war.

#7 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I’m a maybe at this point what are your thoughts on craft foam darts with a copper bb for weight? I had people shoot me at `gedden with them and they hurt equal to or less then one of your slugs. Granted I’ve played with slingshot darts since I was fourteen in the cold and rain of Canada, so what I see as painless may not be what you do.

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#8 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

If H.N.R.G.G doesn't go through, I can go. So right now I'm a maybe.
I like bacon.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Planning on showing up. I might be going down to San Diego that weekend, but it's still up in the air. So if it's not going down you can count on me being at the war.

Cool cool cool! Hope to see you there.

I'm a maybe at this point what are your thoughts on craft foam darts with a copper bb for weight? I had people shoot me at `gedden with them and they hurt equal to or less then one of your slugs. Granted I've played with slingshot darts since I was fourteen in the cold and rain of Canada, so what I see as painless may not be what you do.

Sorry. Those darts, if they were the same ones I saw at Armageddon, were unacceptable. They were sloppily made and I could see the BB on, maybe, a third of the ones I picked up. Craft foam is also not a very good cushion, as it is thinner than felt and hardens up if glued to a hard surface, since the glue seeps into the foam.

I'm not banning darts due to safety, although that is a nice bonus, I am banning darts to level a playing field. A +bow will shoot forty feet less, but a Nite Finder or Magstrike or whatever will shoot essentially the same distance it always does. This will be more fun.

If H.N.R.G.G doesn't go through, I can go. So right now I'm a maybe.

Hope you make it to either one.

Rnbw Cln

#10 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

"The only well thought out argument on the internet"

+Ah! You remember! No we are not thinking of the same darts. The darts you found are (in the weakest use of the term) dome darts and yes they were very poor and sloppy. They were made that morning at four and at that point I was so sick of making darts I got sloppy and lazy. I had no idea they were that poor until I pulled them out of my bag, I’m ashamed of those darts. Granted that is no excuse, I put others at risk and it will not happen again

In regards to the craft foam hardening…I have never had this happen. Are you saying this from you own experiments, seconded hand from online or from my own darts? Also if its about leveling the playing field why should it matter? Craft foam darts shoot the same as if not less then slugs.

Now if it’s a “because I said so” kind of deal ill gladly drop the issue.

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#11 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

In regards to the craft foam hardening…I have never had this happen. Are you saying this from you own experiments, seconded hand from online or from my own darts? Also if its about leveling the playing field why should it matter? Craft foam darts shoot the same as if not less then slugs.

Now if it's a "because I said so" kind of deal ill gladly drop the issue.

In the midwest there were many experiments done with craft foam as a possible easy tip substance, since it was cheap and glued easily. However, if hot glue is used, the holding mechanism firms it up, making it a suboptimal surface to a comparable thickness of felt. Felt has the advantage of an adhesive backing with prevents any sort of seepage, which is part of the reason why it maintains its softness once adhered. If one were to use craft foam as a tip to a dart and have it be acceptable, it would need to be much thicker than a comparable felt tip; probably more along the lines of 3/8" thickness sheet. I realize that this is a safety issue, rather than a performance issue, but it's still important, as a dart that is mostly similar to a traditional glue dome except with a thin layer of foam at the front isn't a significant improvement.

It is somewhat "because I said so," but I like to imagine that I have rational reasons for saying so. I seem to recall both Ryan and Venom posting about craft foam for tips and why it isn't as good. Now, if you used something like goop or another "soft" adhesive instead of hot glue for these darts, then I would imagine the hardening foam issue would disappear, although that's a lot more time and effort.

Rnbw Cln

#12 Masked Basset

Masked Basset

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Who's that guy? He'll be there anyways! Nice to meet you folks.

#13 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Who's that guy? He'll be there anyways! Nice to meet you folks.

Always nice to have new people coming.

Anyways, the war is two weeks away. It seems as if a scheduling conflict has arisen, though, and I begrudge no one for skipping out if they would prefer a different war in a different place. This is still happening, even if I'm going to be standing alone in a park for several hours. I would definitely appreciate more firm yeses or nos from potential attendees, though. Looking forward to this.

Rnbw Cln

#14 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

Can't make it, man. Sorry. I don't think I'm going to have time for any nerf wars till fall break. Have fun without me.

#15 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Can't make it, man. Sorry. I don't think I'm going to have time for any nerf wars till fall break. Have fun without me.

No problem. Hope to see you at the next one.

Six days until the war. PM me if you plan on coming, please, or post here.

Rnbw Cln

#16 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Damn, I can't go. My mods won't be ready on time! Sorry. I wish I could come but I'm having a hard time convincing my mom to let me get more blasters. I can probably go next time!

#17 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Recap:
  • Pluses: War.
  • Minuses: There were none. The not war was also great.
Thanks for coming. Hope to see everyone at the next one!

Rnbw Cln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users