Photo

Hey Guys, iNerfHaven Dev Here UPDATED ANDROID VERSION TO BETA 4

Looking for some suggestions.

31 replies to this topic

Poll: Hey Guys, iNerfHaven Dev Here UPDATED ANDROID VERSION TO BETA 4 (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What should the name of the app be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

So it's been while (Since January!) since version 1.0 of iNerfHaven. Ive been working a lot lately, and I've add a bunch to it. It now includes:

• War Schedule
  • @Nerfhaven Twitter
  • @NerfNation Twitter
  • Official Nerf Facebook
  • NerfHaven Forums Browser
  • SgNerf Youtube
  • Official Nerf Youtube

Most of that is still in beta, the released app only has the War Schedule, Nerfhaven Twitter, and Forum Browser.

I remember there being a Nerfhaven Cafepress or something, I can make a digital storefront for that if that seems like a good idea.

I was just wondering if y'all had any suggestions for the app, which will be coming to your Android devices shortly!

Also, PM me if you're interested in beta testing the iPad version. I need testers.

I need an Android phone for testing. If anyone has one that they would like to sell/donate that is running 2.3.3 or higher, pm me!

EDIT: Android Beta now in public testing - see below: (Updated to beta 2 3 4)

Go to your phone's settings area, which should be available in the app drawer.

1. Select "Applications"
2. You will see an option for "Unknown Sources," turn this on to all the installation of non-Market applications.
3. Download the app: Since the app that you wish to install is not in the Android Market, you need to have a link to it or know the location of the app (URL) and download it with the phone's browser. The file format for an app is .apk (Android Package).

Use the this link to download your APK
Install the app.

Thanks, feedback would be wonderful!

Edited by Reagent X, 31 August 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#2 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

1.Your image link is broken
2.All the cool nerds use Android

EDIT:
1: pix work now, redacted
2: Develop for whatever you like, and props for actually putting the effort in. If/when you get an Android port, I will gladly try it. Regardless of which OS is overhyped into a religion.

Edited by Y-Brik, 19 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#3 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

1.Your image link is broken
2.All the cool nerds use Android

Images load fine for me.

Android sucks. You're lucky I'm developing it.

Edited by Reagent X, 19 August 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#4 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

Pic works for me, I say use the nerfy orange scheme.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#5 BiwinningPanda

BiwinningPanda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I say orange also. Definitely will be downloading this. Thanks for making it!
LT.DAN ICE CREAM!!!!!! In response to the Tribal Council: Someone break out the Michael Jackson popcorn gif, this shit just got interesting.

#6 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I say orange also. Definitely will be downloading this. Thanks for making it!

Welcome! I'm looking for suggestions on what to add to the app, you have any?

#7 BiwinningPanda

BiwinningPanda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Welcome! I'm looking for suggestions on what to add to the app, you have any?

Direct links to threads that have a lot of info. (Mods directory, mods+pics thread,Homemade directory, etc.)
LT.DAN ICE CREAM!!!!!! In response to the Tribal Council: Someone break out the Michael Jackson popcorn gif, this shit just got interesting.

#8 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Direct links to threads that have a lot of info. (Mods directory, mods+pics thread,Homemade directory, etc.)

Something like this? I changed the "Forums" tab to go to this screen:

Posted Image

YES I SEE THE SPELLING ERROR

Edited by Reagent X, 19 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#9 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Personally I like the orange a bit better because eff yeah bright colors.

But the blue looks more nerfhavenish.
Hablamos Español

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Images load fine for me.

Android sucks. You're lucky I'm developing it.

Oh yes, soooo lucky. We should count our blessings that such a generous person is putting in so much effort to provide free service. That is completely wasting space due to the redundancy of the browser application on every one of these devices. iOS devices are overpriced and overhyped.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#11 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Oh yes, soooo lucky. We should count our blessings that such a generous person is putting in so much effort to provide free service. That is completely wasting space due to the redundancy of the browser application on every one of these devices. iOS devices are overpriced and overhyped.

Have you ever tried developing for Android? It's horrible. Fragmentation across hundreds of devices is really annoying to test for. With iOS I have one operating system and 2 devices to code for, an it will always work.

#12 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Instead of bagging on him, why not just ignore the thread? If you don't like his product, don't buy it.

How would you feel if everybody who didn't like your rockets went and starting shitting all over your sales thread Draconis?

Granted, most of us won't use his product, but it isn't like it is hurting anyone. If you want an Android app, make it yourself.
Hablamos Español

#13 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have it installed now, it's a start. The blue UI is superior, you should use that.

I look forward to an Android version, since that is my preferred OS. I know it sucks to develop for, but you'll reach a much wider audience if you make this cross-platform :)

#14 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have it installed now, it's a start. The blue UI is superior, you should use that.

I look forward to an Android version, since that is my preferred OS. I know it sucks to develop for, but you'll reach a much wider audience if you make this cross-platform :)

I plan on it, just bought the dev certificate. Google makes it a bitch to se up.

#15 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

I plan on it, just bought the dev certificate. Google makes it a bitch to se up.

They should know better. Friction is the enemy.

#16 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Clearly you don't need our permission to create an app and feed from NerfHaven with it. What most people ask us about before proceding, however, is using our name. The answer is almost always "We're flattered, but no." That said, it's pretty common place for mobile apps to use the names of established websites/services/products without permission. I understand that, and I've no problem with this idea. The only thing I ask is that you note that this app is unofficial somewhere in the description. Good luck with it, and I hope it's a useful tool.

Considering that you are now going outside of the area of a NerfHaven specific app, perhaps you could start calling it the NIC app something to that effect, to remove any ambiguity over whether it is an 'official' NH app (which it is not).

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#17 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Considering that you are now going outside of the area of a NerfHaven specific app, perhaps you could start calling it the NIC app something to that effect, to remove any ambiguity over whether it is an 'official' NH app (which it is not).

Not a bad idea, actually.

Edited by Reagent X, 19 August 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#18 DudeRadster

DudeRadster

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I know it's old school, but is there any chance of making a version for some of the early-mid 2000's Palm OS devices that have wifi capabilities?

Anyways, props for what you're doing here. You're pretty skilled.
Only YOU can prevent preserve Wildfires.

#19 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

I know it's old school, but is there any chance of making a version for some of the early-mid 2000's Palm OS devices that have wifi capabilities?

Anyways, props for what you're doing here. You're pretty skilled.

Thanks!

I don't think I've programmed in Plua since I built a Q*bert game for my Palm Pilot. I don't even think I have one anymore... I doubt I'll have the time to re-learn it.

#20 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

Have you ever tried developing for Android? It's horrible. Fragmentation across hundreds of devices is really annoying to test for. With iOS I have one operating system and 2 devices to code for, an it will always work.

I could see that being annoying, certainly.

Instead of bagging on him, why not just ignore the thread? If you don't like his product, don't buy it.

You can be assured that I won't. Mostly I did not care for his assertion that we should feel lucky that he is spending an inordinate amount of time coding something. If that were the case, then we should also thank G-Force for all of his hard work in applying modeling foam to the infamous "Chubbs".

How would you feel if everybody who didn't like your rockets went and starting shitting all over your sales thread Draconis?

Sounds about on par for the course of my life. Why would the NIC be any different than IRL?

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 August 2012 - 07:45 AM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#21 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

I don't know how, but you somehow made a Chubbs reference that is relevant to the thread.

I'll check out the Android version.

#22 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't know how, but you somehow made a Chubbs reference that is relevant to the thread.

I'll check out the Android version.

Thanks, let me know hot it works. It was tested entirely in the simulator since I don't have any android devices.

#23 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I just downloaded the Android Beta. I think that this is a good idea that has a lot of potential.

Here are a few bugs I noticed:
-The war schedule loads the first war topic, then just says "loading" forever and i can't scroll.
-I cannot log in because it will not allow me to type in numbers or use backspace.
-The top title for the Facebook and Twiter Ner pages to too long and get divided into two lines, so only half shows up and it is cut off.

Personally Im not big on the orange background and would prefer the alternative. I will PM you any more bugs I find. Thanks and good luck!

EDIT: By the way, the icon for the app shows up in the list of all Apps, so the link thing you are talking about isn't needed. I also have a Motorola Photon 4G, if it means anything.

Edited by ShaNayNay, 21 August 2012 - 06:55 PM.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#24 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

I just downloaded the Android Beta. I think that this is a good idea that has a lot of potential.

Here are a few bugs I noticed:
-The war schedule loads the first war topic, then just says "loading" forever and i can't scroll.
-I cannot log in because it will not allow me to type in numbers or use backspace.
-The top title for the Facebook and Twiter Ner pages to too long and get divided into two lines, so only half shows up and it is cut off.

Personally Im not big on the orange background and would prefer the alternative. I will PM you any more bugs I find. Thanks and good luck!

EDIT: By the way, the icon for the app shows up in the list of all Apps, so the link thing you are talking about isn't needed. I also have a Motorola Photon 4G, if it means anything.

Yeah, I haven't tried testing in a MotoDev environment, F***ing Motorola has their own damn libraries that are specific to them. Talk about Fragmentation.

Thanks for commenting, I'll be searching for these bugs now.

Unrelated: See main post, I need an Android phone for testing.

Edited by Reagent X, 27 March 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#25 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Gave this a shot on my Galaxy S III, worked great. One thing I'd love to see is maybe links to some other major Nerf-related forums as well, like Nerf Revolution and SGNerf. Just an idea since, as someone was saying, this seems more like a "NIC" app than a NerfHaven-only one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users