Vulcan Electrical Troubles

Completely stumped....

5 replies to this topic

#1 HappyPills

HappyPills

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

So I recently dug some of my old nerf guns out of the basement and among them was a vulcan. When I opened up the battery compartment for the first time it seemed like one of the D size batteries had leaked and created a strange crusty white substance. I simply washed this out with water and proceeded to remove the air restrictor. After closing the gun back up it works as flawlessly as a vulcan can when using the manual priming feature, but when I inserted fresh batteries and tried to go full auto (yes I flipped the on switch), the gun didn't even utter a peep. I don't know if the battery leaking or my washing out the battery compartment has anything to do with it, and I've also removed the dividers in the battery tray and checked as well as I can for lose wiring, so I'm really just stumped as to why this gun refuses to work electronically.

P.S. Sorry my first post is so useless.

#2 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

I'd make sure that the battery corrosion (crusty white stuff) wasn't all over the contacts in the battery compartment. Try giving all of the contacts a quick rub with sand paper until the metal is shiny again. If this doesn't work, you may have upset something internally when you opened th blaster up.
BritNerf, the Queen's favourite Nerf Forum.

The UK's most popular Nerf Blog.

I also have a Website.

#3 psycho p88

psycho p88

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Have you taken the thing apart and checked if the motors still function?

#4 MrJere

MrJere

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

If you've got the ability to try a multimeter (or invest in getting one), I've found it to help me massively at finding the faults with my electronic blasters.

In this instance, Open the Vulcan up, pop the batteries in and test the metal contacts on the battery box using the probes. This will give you the ability to check that your battery box is actually providing power to the rest of the blaster.

From here, its just trial and error, following the circuit round with the probes to attempt to find the broken section. Make sure to check all the switches and metal contacts on the way round. Be paitent however, it is a long and arduous process on some of the larger blasters.

Edit: Spelling, derp.

Edited by MrJere, 15 August 2012 - 04:52 AM.

They can't break you, if you don't have a spine.
- Dilbert

#5 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

The white powder substance on the contacts is potassium hydroxide.

In small amounts it's not dangerous but it is toxic and used in stuff like cleaning solutions and bleach.

The corrosion will come off pretty easy with a mix of equal parts vinegar and water. Try using that and if it still doesn't work sand the contacts and try again. If it still doesn't work try clipping the couple inches off the wires connected to the battery pack and reattaching them.

#6 HappyPills

HappyPills

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. The problem was indeed the corrosion on the battery contacts and I now have a fully functioning vulcan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users