Dartsmithing Tips Archive

slug and ryan's guides now have their own threads in Ds and Bs

603 replies to this topic

#401 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

I used to have the problem of burning too large or off center a hole to put my weight in. Instead, I now make a hole in the direct middle with a screwdriver. I push the weight in until the tip is flush with the tip of the dart. I then add a small dome of glue, dunk it into ice water. Contrary to my name, these do fly straight, and I use very little glue on each dart.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#402 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Now, this is just the way it works in Oregon, but... Wouldn't 1/4" slingshot ammo be 1/4" in diameter? Otherwise it would be *drumroll* NOT 1/4".

Well I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense but Blacksunshine does claim that they are 1/4" slingshot weights, it might be like foam. Some 1/2 inch FBR fit in CPVC while other brands fit in PETG. I am probably wrong, but you never know.

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 21 December 2008 - 10:27 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#403 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

Now, this is just the way it works in Oregon, but... Wouldn't 1/4" slingshot ammo be 1/4" in diameter? Otherwise it would be *drumroll* NOT 1/4".

Well I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense but Blacksunshine does claim that they are 1/4" slingshot weights, it might be like foam. Some 1/2 inch FBR fit in CPVC while other brands fit in PETG. I am probably wrong, but you never know.

Ok. Lets kill this speculation. When I do make the 1/4" based stefans (btw are too heavy for most guns) I use guess what. 1/4" slingshot weights. The package states they are such. If they are larger then what you use then you are not using 1/4" slingshot weights. This is not my claim. This is what the package I bought them in claims. I don't use that shit for my personal darts. I only got it because ICE requested I make this for him and I'm stuck with a bunch of extra ones. So I make them on request only. They make darts weight about 2.5 Grams. And in the end he didn't like them cause they were too heavy for his guns.

I prefer my original darts. They weigh in at 1.2 grams. I also have Medium weight darts that come in at 2.0 grams. For usage in most guns this is the maximum weight you are going to want to use.
Tho i do have some supplies for making even heavier 3gr weights for my PB gun conversion and singled titan. But the 3gr weights won't even get 10ft out of most ppls guns.

Now as for the talk about tack darts. Hell no. Same goes for nail and screw made darts. No and no. Anything that has a pointed tip is unsafe to be shot at another person. Eventually the core will rip thru the side and potentially hurt someone.
Also the hunting pellets do not make for a better dome. If your weight is placed properly it should not protrude out of the top of the foam. And thus will make no effect on the actual dome. Gravity is what makes your domes. Not you.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#404 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

If you are shooting around in your back yard, no one will care if you use tack darts, but if you come to a war, then they will. No one wants to be put at risk because some people are to lazy to just make proper darts.

Oh, and the member formerly known as Zudikas made a batch of washer darts and covered the washer with a square of foam, yet some of the washer was still visible, however, none of the pain associated with those same type of darts after the war Ice used them at ensued. In fact, they were some of the few darts that didn't shatter on impact, so I don't know what that says, just throwing it up here.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#405 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

I prefer my original darts. They weigh in at 1.2 grams.

How do those compare in weight to 3/0 weighted stefans?

#406 umungus

umungus

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

I made some washer darts. They don't even shoot as far as a streamline out os a LS. The longshot is un modded. I also shot them out of a Firefly with the AR's taken out. They shot under 10 feet.

I put a hole in the back of the dart. Like stock ones.

I got backer rod from Lowes. I got a bunch of #8 washers and felt pads from there also. The darts I made seem to be noticeably heavier than the streamline darts. They fit in the barrel pretty loosely.

Should the washer darts perform as well as stock darts in an unmodded gun?
Should the washer darts be heavier than stock streamlines?
Does the dart need to fit tighter in the barrel?

Any help would be appreciated.

#407 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

They fit in the barrel pretty loosely.

That, right there, is your problem. Also, washers tend to be heavier than most weights, so something like bbs or fishing weights are better for lower powered guns. But your main problem is still dart fit. Spring guns need a pretty tight fit.

#408 umungus

umungus

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

They fit in the barrel pretty loosely.

That, right there, is your problem. Also, washers tend to be heavier than most weights, so something like bbs or fishing weights are better for lower powered guns. But your main problem is still dart fit. Spring guns need a pretty tight fit.

what type of backer rod would recommend for a better fit?

#409 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Any backer rod that is thicker will probably suit your purposes better. I use foam from www.bestmaterials.com. It's Mile High Black foam, and is also sold here by Hereticorp. You should probably buy some from him to try out before you commit to an 800' roll of it.

I find that it's a great fit in 9/16 brass.

#410 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Has anyone tried the FBR from Contractors Tool Supply? (http://www.contracto...eet-p-4208.html)

Its $6 for 100', but before buying some (they have a low order fee or orders under $25) I wanted to know if anyone has tried it, and if so, hows the fit? (PETG, CPVC mainly)

Thanks

#411 xtremejumpy

xtremejumpy

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Has anyone tried the FBR from Contractors Tool Supply? (http://www.contracto...eet-p-4208.html)

Its $6 for 100', but before buying some (they have a low order fee or orders under $25) I wanted to know if anyone has tried it, and if so, hows the fit? (PETG, CPVC mainly)

Thanks

Can you get a working link? I can't get to it. Typically, you could try it, and then tell us, as long as its 1/4"

#412 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

Thanks

Can you get a working link? I can't get to it. Typically, you could try it, and then tell us, as long as its 1/4"

Its 1/2, and the link works just fine. Do a little basic work here.

Agreed, that is a good price. When I get some money I will order to see how it works.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#413 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Thanks

Its 1/2, and the link works just fine. Do a little basic work here.

Agreed, that is a good price. When I get some money I will order to see how it works.

Yeah, the link works fine for me.

I would try it, but there is a low order fee, which I'd rather not pay (seeing as its almost as much as another 100') but before I commit to $35 of foam, I was wondering if it worked. I'm in college right now, so if I'd rather not waste the money to find out that it doesn't fit. I'm not asking you guys too, I'll most likely get it, but I didn't know if anyone has tried it yet.

Thanks, I'll probably order some tomorrow or Saturday.

#414 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

If you're worried, you could always just get some from www.bestmaterials.com . That's where I get mine, and it fits perfectly in 9/16 brass and medium wall PETG. It's $50 for 800 ft shipped, and it's nice dense stuff.

#415 Da Nerf Man201

Da Nerf Man201

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

I love best materials. I also ordered 2500 ft. =)

Edited by Da_Nerf_Man201, 22 January 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#416 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

It's not like Darth_Tom just posted the exact same thing or anything....
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#417 RVMVTVProductions

RVMVTVProductions

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Disregard.

Edited by RVMVTVProductions, 06 July 2009 - 01:31 PM.

SCUN's South County Representative

#418 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

This is the foam I use.
http://www.whitecapd...roducts/530BR12

It's only $7 for 100 feet, but I buy it from a location in Atlanta, not online.

It's nice and dense, but pretty small in diameter. If you know what Ace foam is like in 17/32, it's maybe a tiny bit tighter than that in CPVC.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#419 basser

basser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

What I use to make my stefan making go a lot faster is that I will Take a top of a shoe box, and take a hole puncher and back wholes just a little smaller than the stefan so it will stay in the hole when you work with them.

#420 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

This is the foam I use.

It's only $7 for 100 feet, but I buy it from a location in Atlanta, not online.

It's nice and dense, but pretty small in diameter. If you know what Ace foam is like in 17/32, it's maybe a tiny bit tighter than that in CPVC.

Is it plain old grey foam or colored.
Just keep swimming just keep swimming STOP

#421 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

My dartsmithing tip: Get the right size of FBR. I got some, and I wasn't looking at the size and it was too big... Now, I'm stuck with 20 feet of near-useless backer rod. I say near-useless, because its only use as of now is its intended purpose: sealing the space between a door and the house it's connected to. I just got a new door, so...
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#422 basser

basser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

My dartsmithing tip: Get the right size of FBR. I got some, and I wasn't looking at the size and it was too big... Now, I'm stuck with 20 feet of near-useless backer rod. I say near-useless, because its only use as of now is its intended purpose: sealing the space between a door and the house it's connected to. I just got a new door, so...

Good one! Yeah do we ever use thing for there purpose? :lol: But same this might because I'm not experienced at making darts, but mine are smaller too. Maybe my guns aren't that power full the full length stephans.

#423 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

It's only 20 ft, so just chop it up and use it to dampen the sound of modded springers. Then it'll actually be useful.

#424 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

It's only 20 ft, so just chop it up and use it to dampen the sound of modded springers. Then it'll actually be useful.

I'm definitely gonna have a lot left over. It would seem that's the best plan of action. Unfortunately, I'm sick of opening my LS and having all the parts fly around.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#425 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I posted that other Foam from WhiteCap awhile ago.

Here's a picture comparing it's thickness to some Ace stuff I just picked up.
I used a light behind it.
Posted Image
Mine is the denser one.

Also, does anyone know a consistent foam that has a snug fit in 17/32?

Edited by umpshaplapa, 20 February 2009 - 12:58 AM.

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users