Homemade foam sword help

14 replies to this topic

#1 Kidgambit

Kidgambit

• Banned
  • 9 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Im wanting to make a foam sword that looks like agent six's magnet sword from generator rex. I need some help on reinforcements. please help

#2 owmyquach

owmyquach

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • State:California

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

I honestly believe there is a foam sword out there that is probably close to that, and if not, you could just take the blade and sculpt it into the same thing. It's a very basic design and should be easy to do with some foam and some glue/epoxy/tape.

#3 Bbdude

Bbdude

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

If you really want to make a nice homemade sword, then I would say to go look at LARP sites. People who LARP make homemade swords alot so you should be able to find out where to get the materials and what will work best.

Edited by Bbdude, 03 August 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

1343993520[/url]' post='319754']
If you really want to make a nice homemade sword, then I would say to go look at LARP sites. People who LARP make homemade swords alot so you should be able to find out where to get the materials and what will work best.

This is your best bet. Foam swords are outside the scope of this site.

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is your best bet. Foam swords are outside the scope of this site.

What was that? I believe it was a challenge! Muahahaha!
I beg to differ Beaver.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

You're best bet is shaping PVC and Blue Camping Foam. Check Dagorhir for tutorials. Swords aren't used in wars though. It's simple though, here's a vid of me 2 or so years ago before I covered the sword.

Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Also look up boffers and the SCA. I recall someone using mattress foam; I used to make the things and just used PVC and a couple layers of pipe insulation, but they weren't well padded and probably weren't up to SCA rules.

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Also get this garbage off of nerf haven. Foam swords have absolutely no place in nerf!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 exploe

exploe

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • State:Oklahoma

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Pool noodle + 3/4" PVC= foam sword.

#10 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Also get this garbage off of nerf haven. Foam swords have absolutely no place in nerf!

Sorry, but no. "Nerf" directly refers to a brand currently held by Hasbro, and colloquially to the practice of padding things so that they don't hurt so much when they hit you. You do realize that Nerf makes effin footballs, right?

Pool noodle + 3/4" PVC= foam sword.

3/4" PVC is way too rigid and a bit too heavy to hit people with, even with a pretty thick pool noodle. 1/2" CPVC is a better core material. And it sounds like he's trying to imitate the look of a particular sword, which might not be cylindrical.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#11 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you wanted to go the way of the pool noodle sword with a CPVC or PETG core, you could always carve it with a soldering gun into the shape you want. However, it sounds like the LARP site is the best way to go.

Edited by ShaNayNay, 05 August 2012 - 06:33 PM.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#12 Jeo

Jeo

Red Team: HooRah!

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • State:Australian Capital Territory

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Fibreglass rod core, foam matting + yoga mat, and tape.

Posted Image

#13 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Please, please, please just go ask this question on a site where they specialize in boffers. Kane's pedantic bullshit aside, you will find very little help in your endeavour here - NH is very tightly focused on foam dart blaster. There is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge about this on the internet, but you won't find that knowledge here.

#14 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Swords aren't used in wars though.

The participants of Foam in the Fort III would like to disagree with you. The melee weapons were out in force, and the melee-only round was popular enough to be voted up for another go. There are lots of ways to Nerf - and foam swords can be one of them if the participants agree.

However, as Beaver has pointed out, NH is not the place to go for info on making good boffer swords.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#15 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

You do realize that Nerf makes effin footballs, right?

Do you expect that a thread about football would last for very long on this site?

Please, please, please just go ask this question on a site where they specialize in boffers. Kane's pedantic bullshit aside, you will find very little help in your endeavour here - NH is very tightly focused on foam dart blaster. There is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge about this on the internet, but you won't find that knowledge here.

Some people allow boffer swords at their nerf wars, but this is almost universally a crossover between nerf and another hobby, not an example of melee having any real place at a nerf war by default. Beaver is correct, virtually any other website would be preferable for information about boffer construction and use. Since it is about the farthest thing from an integral part of nerfing in the NIC, I'm going to go ahead and say that it doesn't have any place on this site (aside from threads about nerf wars in which boffers are allowed).

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users