cpvc Doomsayer barrel question

5 replies to this topic

#1 cspit

cspit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State:Oregon

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

i am going to build a cpvc doomsyer on Monday. I will be using an Ace #49 spring (7/8"x4"x.080") with the stoc one as well. My question is how long to make the barrels.

#2 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Maryland

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

Your optimal barrel length would depend on/be affected by many factors, including dart-barrel fit, and your turret and plunger seals.
I suggest you start with pretty long barrels (maybe like 12"), see how it performs, and cut down the barrels I necessary.
There really is no way to find an optimal barrel length without experimenting a bit; especially because turreted guns can be really unpredictable.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

#3 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

I know forsaken_angel added an Ace 49 or something very similar and a Longshot and he has 12" barrels. I would add the Ace 49 to the stock spring and start off at 15" barrel lengths. I have a feeling because you'll have slightly less power, you may want 10" barrels. And small tip, instead of adding all the barrels at once and cutting them all down while permanently on the blaster, only add 1 or two temporarily and experiment with those until you find the optimal length. I see you have the FNG tag and don't know if you knew that so thought I'd add in a free tip to a new guy.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#4 cspit

cspit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State:Oregon

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

ok i dont have enough cpvc for 12" so i will start at 10" i also plan on getting good seals all the way through. my darts fit cpvc really well not to tight but not to loose
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 03 August 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#5 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

ok i dont have enough cpvc for 12" so i will start at 10" i also plan on getting good seals all the way through. my darts fit cpvc really well not to tight but not to loose

If you don't have enough CPVC then go get more before starting. Angel initially made a 10" turret, and found he needed 12" so he wasted all that PETG. I suggest cutting a single 12" barrel and seeing how well it performs. That way you don't cut the barrels a million times, only that one. If you're serious about doing the seals well you should do your research. MakeitGO suggests a certain bathtub plug for a plunger head. Take your plunger tube to the store to get the correct size.

Edited by Curly, 03 August 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#6 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Everyone else in this thread knows how to use the shift key. Please learn so yourself too.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users