Buzz Bee Range Master Brass Breech

expanding on the AR removal

17 replies to this topic

#1 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

I recently acquired the Range Master, and the stock ranges EASILY achieve 60 feet with a slight angle. the AR removal boosted ranges by about 5 feet, but I wanted to shoot slugs, as well as boost that range. This is what I came up with.

Materials:
1. 1/2" brass
2. 17/32" brass
3. Electrical tape
4. 3/4" PVC endcap
5. About 3 inches of 3/4" PVC
6. About 3 inches of 1/2" PVC
**HELPFUL TIP: When you take out the screws, flip it over, as the internals are on that side.

First off, you need to remove the dart tooth:
Posted Image
next, cut your 1/2" brass to 2.5"
Posted Image
Wrap it in E-tape to fit in the bolt (you could also glue it, but I wanted it to be removable.
Posted Image
Next, nest your 1/2" PVC, 3/4" PVC, and 3/4" PVC end cap. Wrap this in E-tape to fit in the threaded "barrel extension port." Again, you could glue these pieces.
Posted Image
Cut your 17/32 brass to a desired barrel length (I chose 5.5 inches, but it could probably use more). then wrap it in E-tape to fit 1/2" PVC. Once again, you could glue this.
Posted Image
You should have the brass sticking just over an inch from the orange. Also, wrap the orange in E-tape to keep it from wobbling.
Posted Image
Here are the finished internals:
Posted Image
And in the shell:
Posted Image
Overview of how the bolt works:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Pretty cool, right?
Posted Image
Ranges: mid eighties to high seventies.
Also, this is how the air release works:
Posted Image
The black triangle type shape moves up to hit the blast button, but it is stopped by an orange piece:
Posted Image
The orange piece holds it back until sufficient pressure is built up by pulling the trigger, then it moves back (spring loaded). This makes the black piece "flick" the blast button at a fairly high speed.
Posted Image
I'm not sure about back pressure tanks, but with normal ones I know it is beneficial to release the air quickly.
Questions or comments?
Get chance and luck

#2 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

Look at that exposed brass. You should get something to cover that up so no one accidentally gets cut.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#3 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Look at that exposed brass. You should get something to cover that up so no one accidentally gets cut.

It comes with a removable faux barrel in box. I think he's got it covered.

#4 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

It comes with a removable faux barrel in box. I think he's got it covered.

Actually, the spacer for the brass gets in the way of the threads. Don't worry though, I will cover it with PVC before I use it much.
Get chance and luck

#5 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Actually, the spacer for the brass gets in the way of the threads. Don't worry though, I will cover it with PVC before I use it much.

Or, (something I'm wanting to try)-Put the 1/2" brass IN the faux barrel. Then, (with the 17/32" in the bolt), you can fire "any" dart without the faux barrel, and when you screw in the faux barrel, it will have the breeching effect, and the longer barrel for homemade darts.

#6 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Or, (something I'm wanting to try)-Put the 1/2" brass IN the faux barrel. Then, (with the 17/32" in the bolt), you can fire "any" dart without the faux barrel, and when you screw in the faux barrel, it will have the breeching effect, and the longer barrel for homemade darts.

Thats actually a really cool idea! Only 1/2" brass is too tight to fit darts, so maybe use 9/16 and sort of a coupler?
Get chance and luck

#7 Funky Mutha Facko

Funky Mutha Facko

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Very nice Manta, This is what I was thinking of doing with mine. I'm going to let it sit until I come up with a way to add a clip though seeing as the very low rate of fire will just make it useless for any war application. You should test some longer barrels on it and see if you could hit higher ranges.
HARDCORE NERF!

#8 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thats actually a really cool idea! Only 1/2" brass is too tight to fit darts, so maybe use 9/16 and sort of a coupler?

Well, I'm planning on using CPVC for the faux barrel, but whatever fits for you.

#9 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Ahh, someone beat me to this. I don't quite understand why you wrapped the threaded barrel extension port with e-tape. I have a feeling this can easily be done without taking the blaster apart.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#10 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Very nice Manta, This is what I was thinking of doing with mine. I'm going to let it sit until I come up with a way to add a clip though seeing as the very low rate of fire will just make it useless for any war application. You should test some longer barrels on it and see if you could hit higher ranges.

I just tried a longer barrel (super long, shortened slowly after testing), and I am getting about 5-10 feet more on average. Still not what I thought this could achieve, Although its definitely not bad. I also added a sheath over the brass that extended about 2 inches from the edge of the brass. Oddly, this boosted ranges by a few feet and made it MUCH more accurate. The new barrel length is ~10" with a ~12" length of 1/2" PVC. Tomorrow I will get some more pictures up. I agree with the ROF issue, it really is terrible. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the pump, it would have to be replaced. If you can figure that out, it would just be a matter of making an angel breech.
Get chance and luck

#11 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Your ranges seem to be correct comparing it with my results from the Panther but it looks like you didn't do anything to the OPRV. I can guarantee Ranges over 100' with an adjusted OPRV. Don't worry. The tank can take it.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#12 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Your ranges seem to be correct comparing it with my results from the Panther but it looks like you didn't do anything to the OPRV. I can guarantee Ranges over 100' with an adjusted OPRV. Don't worry. The tank can take it.

Yeah, I left the OPRV intact because I have had terrible luck with air guns (leaks, explosions, etc.). I figured that was why I wasn't getting 100 feet.
FINAL PICTURE:
Posted Image
Get chance and luck

#13 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Here's what I did to mine:

I wanted to keep the stock dart capability, although it's kinda useless until Elite darts become a lot more common. I think the barrel may be too long for the stock tank, but it'll be really powerful once I expand the tank.

#14 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

whats the size of the tank in this thing compared to other air guns commonly used? Do you guys think plugging the OPV will be a fair/ acceptable thing to do for wars? Also, it seems like this thing desperately needs a pump replacement considering while pumping you are also opening and closing the breech, which could ruin your brass if you pump fast at all.

Edited by Guitarzan, 27 August 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#15 erich76

erich76

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

whats the size of the tank in this thing compared to other air guns commonly used? Do you guys think plugging the OPV will be a fair/ acceptable thing to do for wars? Also, it seems like this thing desperately needs a pump replacement considering while pumping you are also opening and closing the breech, which could ruin your brass if you pump fast at all.

The size of the tank seemed comparable to a big salvo tank I had on hand. So that would be what, 100 foot ranges about?

#16 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

The size of the tank seemed comparable to a big salvo tank I had on hand. So that would be what, 100 foot ranges about?

I've actually never seen or used a big salvo tank, so I'm not sure.
Btw where did you find your rangemaster? Wal mart only carries the worthless buzz bee springers.

#17 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Btw where did you find your rangemaster? Wal mart only carries the worthless buzz bee springers.

#18 erich76

erich76

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Mine was found at target... It's possible that they're only found at target? Bob step in here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users