Stefan Questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 dldmaui

dldmaui

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

NOOB ALERT: If you couldn't tell already I'm new to making stefans and also to this site (or at least posting on it). Well, the question I have is what size of FBR should I use for making stefans to fit in quarter inch cpvc? I use this size of cpvc because it fits streamlines perfectly and so far I've been using old stock darts and turning them into stefans. These stefans obviously fit in the cpvc just like my streamlines do, but sadly they're expensive to make.

P.S. I have done research, but i haven't found anything that answers my questions so if there is a website or topic that already answers this then please link it :)

#2 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

The question I have is what size of FBR should I use for making stefans to fit in quarter inch cpvc?
I have done research, but I haven't found anything that answers my questions so if there is a website or topic that already answers this then please link it :)

The smart ass reply is whatever fits.
But if your research fails you, take a measuring ruler (calipers are preferred) and measure the Inside diameter of your PVC. Go to the FBR section and measure the OD of the foam and whamo, you got your sizes. Obviously, you don't want a OD foam that is larger than your ID PVC. They wont fit. When choosing a foam, look for how snug a piece fits in there. You should be able to push it into the PVC without much resistance from friction, but you should not have to force it into the PVC. Consider the distances around the dart and the PVC wall and see how much air will be lost by flying around the dart. Use common Sense. If not, buy a few sizes, make a few darts, and range test for the best sizes. You should be okay with a 1/2" OD FBR.

There are a lot of dartsmithing links on the site here for making different types of darts. Don't be the noob who puts thumbtacks in the heads. I suggest going with a dart that has felt tips on the heads for safety.

#3 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

If I am not mistaken I do believe you mean 1/2" cpvc not 1/4". Typically in 1/2" cpvc, 1/2" foam backer rod will do the trick. If you truly mean 1/4" then please disregard.

As for the method of making the darts, there are multitudes of variants that should not be too difficult to find or produce.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#4 dldmaui

dldmaui

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

The smart ass reply is whatever fits.
But if your research fails you, take a measuring ruler (calipers are preferred) and measure the Inside diameter of your PVC. Go to the FBR section and measure the OD of the foam and whamo, you got your sizes. Obviously, you don't want a OD foam that is larger than your ID PVC. They wont fit. When choosing a foam, look for how snug a piece fits in there. You should be able to push it into the PVC without much resistance from friction, but you should not have to force it into the PVC. Consider the distances around the dart and the PVC wall and see how much air will be lost by flying around the dart. Use common Sense. If not, buy a few sizes, make a few darts, and range test for the best sizes. You should be okay with a 1/2" OD FBR.

There are a lot of dartsmithing links on the site here for making different types of darts. Don't be the noob who puts thumbtacks in the heads. I suggest going with a dart that has felt tips on the heads for safety.

Thanks allot :3 I'll probably go and buy some fbr tomorrow and maybe try to make slugs instead of traditional dome darts (which are the ones I've been making so far). :3

#5 dldmaui

dldmaui

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

If I am not mistaken I do believe you mean 1/2" cpvc not 1/4". Typically in 1/2" cpvc, 1/2" foam backer rod will do the trick. If you truly mean 1/4" then please disregard.

As for the method of making the darts, there are multitudes of variants that should not be too difficult to find or produce.

Wow I am a complete idiot.... just looked again at the cpvc and clearly printed on the side it says 1/2 inch.... wow why did i think 1/4 *facepalm*. Thank's allot for bringing this to my attention :3

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

First, this belongs in General Nerf, not Off Topic.

If you're planning to come to any of the upcoming NJ Nerf Wars, the way to go is Slug darts. The main dart guide is here: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=4646

It needs a bit of cleaning up, sorry it's such a mess. If you're looking for foam, ask where the foam weather stripping is in your local Home Depot/Lowes and look around for 1/2" Foam Backer Rod or Calk Saver (different names for the same product). It comes in 20' rolls in plastic bags. If you're making slugs, you can also buy foam from mcmaster, the part number is somewhere in that thread I linked. Good luck!

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 dldmaui

dldmaui

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

First, this belongs in General Nerf, not Off Topic.

If you're planning to come to any of the upcoming NJ Nerf Wars, the way to go is Slug darts. The main dart guide is here: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=4646

It needs a bit of cleaning up, sorry it's such a mess. If you're looking for foam, ask where the foam weather stripping is in your local Home Depot/Lowes and look around for 1/2" Foam Backer Rod or Calk Saver (different names for the same product). It comes in 20' rolls in plastic bags. If you're making slugs, you can also buy foam from mcmaster, the part number is somewhere in that thread I linked. Good luck!

Sorry about posting in the wrong section but thanks 5 the link :) and yep i am trying to go to the next apoc as my first NIC war... key word being TRYING...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users