Photo

AT3K Question

Hoppering it without dramatic range decrease

8 replies to this topic

Poll: AT3K Question

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What should I use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shoopy

Shoopy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

I am modifying a AirTech 3K and want to know if I should either 1) Coupler it for use of a hopper or 2) PETG the turret.

I usually use homemades with hopper clips and I usually rush a lot at wars. I like to use hoppers with all my primaries but, I am wondering if I will not get desired ranges (no less than 100') using a hopper opposed to having single barrels with a turret.

Like I said before, I like hopper clips more than turrets. Will using a hopper effect my range? I guessing it would so, do you think it's a worthy sacrifice?

Please just don't say hopper/coupler or turret. Please back up your answer with a reasonable opinion.

Thank you,

Shoopy

Edited by Shoopy, 17 July 2012 - 02:56 PM.

You know you all want to crouch like a tiger...

PA POWER Clan Is that all ya got?

#2 BiwinningPanda

BiwinningPanda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Well, the main thing to think about here is if you have the tools and skills to turret it. If not, then you would most likely just coupler it. A hopper is much easier to load quickly, especially with a funnel attachment, than a turret. However, a turret will save you some range; given it is modded correctly. You could also consider an inline clip turret hybrid, but given I don't know the dimensions of the AT3K's turret it may or may not be possible.
Those are my ideas, BiwinningPanda
LT.DAN ICE CREAM!!!!!! In response to the Tribal Council: Someone break out the Michael Jackson popcorn gif, this shit just got interesting.

#3 Green Wing

Green Wing

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

If you hopper it you will not get 100'. I know from experience. My 3k with a 5-6 shot RSCB gets 95' tops. It was even less with a hopper. I would just turret it. It will shoot much better although it is more work.

#4 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

why not use both?
move the tank back, secure it using pvc, add a coupler, and find out a way to make the turret removeable.
Remember no mod is impossible.
try to mod outside your comfort zone, that's how we have the best mods.

At nerfhaven we need people to innovate. ^_^

Edited by proplus, 17 July 2012 - 06:24 PM.

"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#5 bhajj94

bhajj94

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I would keep it with a turret (assuming you have the skillset to make one). With that, you can get 6 shots off before having to reload, which isn't much worse than a hopper. Also, you will be able to hit that 100ft mark more consistently that way. Considering everything that you want, I think that a PETg rear-loading turret is your best option.
Probably lurking somewhere...

#6 Shoopy

Shoopy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

why not use both?
move the tank back, secure it using pvc, add a coupler, and find out a way to make the turret removeable.
Remember no mod is impossible.
try to mod outside your comfort zone, that's how we have the best mods.

At nerfhaven we need people to innovate. ^_^

I actually like that idea if I had a spare 3K to experiment. Though I can just coupler it and mod the turret so it can fit into the 1/2" coupler.

Thanks to everyone who inputted their opinion.

Edited by Shoopy, 17 July 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#7 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I've tried hoppering a 3k. From my experience, it doesn't work very well. There isn't really enough air-tank volume to make effective use of the hopper. It has high pressure, but that doesn't do the trick because while the air is going really fast after the trigger pull, it isn't really enough air to push the dart out of the hopper with a large velocity. The reason 4Bs, titans, and other absurdly sized air-tanks work so well is because they release a shit ton of air. Even if the air isn't going that fast (due to the oprv), it is still enough air to push the dart out.

Of course, I AM just talking out of my ass here. One of you science-y people want to verify/correct what I just said?
Hablamos EspaƱol

#8 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Essentially, Chavez is correct.

Without getting into actual numbers, it has to do with the relative air volume. What ever tank your using, it's best if the volume of the air tank is greater than the volume of your hopper/RSCB plus your barrel length.

An AT3K is pretty small compared to the afore mentioned 4B and Titan air tanks.

For science-y numbers: Ideal Gas Law and Boyle's Law
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#9 Shoopy

Shoopy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks to everyone who inputted their opinion.

I just bought PETG and 2 barrel spacers from Venom.

If you are not understanding up my clues, I going with the turret.

Thanks,

Shoopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users