Trigger linking question

5 replies to this topic

#1 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am trying to Put a tank into a raider
(basically reproducing Popatachi's 3k raider)

problem is, I am making (made) my own tank, it has a very hard trigger pull, especially at pressure
Posted Image
this is my current setup, it dosent have the strength (by far) to let the tank get anywhere near its max pressure
(currently it fires at about four pumps, its max is around 10ish)
Posted Image
The current trigger link is sheet steel that is much more flexible than I expected when I bought it
that piece of PVC with the wire through it just holds the bolt/tank in place

any suggestions for a better setup?
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#2 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

You might want to try a 2-part lever trigger like in the new-style 4Bs. Put a bolt through the shell above the firing pin, and have a piece hinging on that that the trigger pushes back.

In my opinion, It might be more productive to make the trigger pull lighter by improving the tank. Like I said in your other thread, reducing the size of the dump valve (and improving airflow around the seal/firing pin) will make the trigger pull much more manageable.

#3 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

You might want to try a 2-part lever trigger

improving the tank

AHA! leverage, perfect, thanks!

It actually is a narrower tank than the other one
the difference is this one has a stronger spring that keeps the seal better, but makes the pull harder

Edited by zx532, 14 July 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Because of that bar you put in, when you pull the trigger "back" against the pin moving "forward" there is an inclination (for lack of better word) towards rotation and torque. This makes the trigger pull harder to begin with, and it also adds more friction into the shell along the rails for your trigger.

As has been pointed out, levers are the way to go here.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#5 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Because of that bar you put in...

That bar (I assume you mean the one in the PVC circle) actually prevents the rotation of the tank instead of causing it
The setup that I have doesn't work at all with out it (as opposed to marginally working with it)

#6 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sorry I was referring to the metal linkage. You said it works at low pressure which indicates some force multiplier effect cause by the physical arrangement of the parts.

Regardless, a lever should fix your problems. Check this out: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=19961
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users