Photo

N-Strike vs Vortex

53 replies to this topic

Poll: N-Strike or Vortex? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the better Nerf battle series?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

It should be taken into account that vortex discs are something like twice the mass of any war-legal dart, so I'd expect drag to have a more detrimental effect on the darts' velocity.

The extra mass means extra inertia and momentum meaning that air resistance would have less impact. The drag is caused by the profile surface area, not the mass. The thing is that the discs have a larger area effected by air resistance.

One thing I've wanted to try out for a while is to see how adding mass to discs would effect their performance in higher power blasters like a volt moded nitron. The extra mass would not only allow the discs to take more advantage of the increased muzzle velocity but would also make its more stable in wind, probably more stable than darts in many cases.

Edited by Darthrambo, 17 July 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#52 bhajj94

bhajj94

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I really like both. However, I feel like making it so the mods are harder with the N-Strike isn't a bad thing. Part of the enjoyment that not only I, but most others get out of nerf is the customization of the blasters. When the mods are harder, there is usually more possibilities of what can be done. This is the cool part of nerfing. Therefore, from a nerfers standpoint, the vortex is better, but when looking at it as a modifier, I'd have to go with the N-Strike.
Probably lurking somewhere...

#53 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

The extra mass means extra inertia and momentum meaning that air resistance would have less impact. The drag is caused by the profile surface area, not the mass. The thing is that the discs have a larger area effected by air resistance.

I think you misread the subtlety in my post - the discs have more mass, so they are less likely to be adversely effected by drag than darts. As you point out, the discs have a larger surface area to effect, but I think that their mass being double that of darts should cancel out the area differences. The point was that darts have less inertia and that they might slow down more significantly out of the barrel, accounting for the varied chrono-measurements.

#54 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think you misread the subtlety in my post - the discs have more mass, so they are less likely to be adversely effected by drag than darts. As you point out, the discs have a larger surface area to effect, but I think that their mass being double that of darts should cancel out the area differences. The point was that darts have less inertia and that they might slow down more significantly out of the barrel, accounting for the varied chrono-measurements.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. What I meant to convey was that the more velocity on the larger surface area the more air resistance. Because it's traveling faster it's traveling though more air per sec meaning that it is experiencing higher air resistance per sec and should this would cause a faster decrease in velocity. So you'd have to consider that along with the inertia. Just something to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users