Photo

Replacement Retaliator Springs

16 replies to this topic

#1 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Like the title says, I have come across springs that work in the Retaliator.

RW-11 springs, cut to length fit the bill for awesome firepower in the Retaliator.

Start with a RW-11.
Posted Image

Cut to 3.25"/ 8cm.
Posted Image

Top: Reverse Plunger Replacement
Bottom: Retaliator Replacement
Posted Image
Remove AR.

Lube and seal O'ring.

Get Nice ranges for a Recon.

Elite Darts
PTG: 81'-7"
82'-9"
82'-10"
83'-0"
83'-7"
87'-9"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAVov_USPY

Edited by lasagna678, 10 July 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Is 3-1/4" really the maximum size for these things? I feel like you could get more spring in there with full compression and up it to a respectable 90. Still, not bad for the internals it's got. Could probably hit LS ranges with a Breech and stefans.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

Is 3-1/4" really the maximum size for these things?

With longer springs, I found that I wasn't able to get the catch to engage on the plunger rod.
I kept cutting an 1/8th rotation off the coils until I got one that worked. 3.25" is the magic size.

#4 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

With longer springs, I found that I wasn't able to get the catch to engage on the plunger rod.
I kept cutting an 1/8th rotation off the coils until I got one that worked. 3.25" is the magic size.

Does the new spring rattle and shake when in the blaster? It's the 9637K11 spring you're talking about, correct?

#5 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Is there a length or spring equivilant that is already sized correctly? like an ACE#49 or a nitefinder? and can you do a spring additon like a LS or is the catch not strong enough?

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#6 Seprest

Seprest

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

People have been picking up on the idea that the k11 is the go-to spring for this blaster, even if they haven't done anything to their blasters yet. Are you certain this is a k11 spring? I do not myself have a lot of experience with after market springs, but I do believe that the k11 is too strong to be used in a production model nerf blaster. I have to be skeptical as McMaster-Carr site reports that the k11 is as strong as the k14 spring, which I have seen used only in homemades. The dimensions on the site are also make your picture suspect because it clearly shows that the spring you use has a smaller OD than the Recon spring (which one would expect given that the spring is internal to the plunger tube unlike a reverse-plunger system), while the site provides a shocking 1.343" as the OD. There dissonance in the OP, at least as a viewer with only a rudimentary understanding of springs. Would you mind confirming this as to clear this situation up, as I have seen multiple people say that the k11 is a suitable upgrade spring for the Retaliator, and pointing to THIS post. Is this early (technically pre-release) information correct?

Note that I use the noun "strength" here to refer to the magnitude of the spring constant (called rate constant on McMaster-Carr).

See the link in Curly's post to understand what spring I believe you to be professing is an upgrade spring to the Retaliator.

Edited by Seprest, 04 July 2012 - 09:23 AM.

4 - HvZ Games Played

22- Mods completed

#7 Briguy52

Briguy52

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

With the whole spring question, I believe at around 0:30 into the video, he says that he sourced the spring from "a local spring manufacturer". I would assume then that the "K-11" spring that he's talking about may just happen to have the same name as the last 3 characters of the McMaster-Carr spring by coincidence. I am not too familiar with the constants of springs but the "K-11" he's talking about may refer to the spring constant (K) as having a value of 11 or something like that.
If you had the whole world to explore, why would you stay in your nest?

#8 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

What is the diameter of the spring? I was thinking about possible replacements, and the Ace #62 (needs to be cut down) came to mind.

#9 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Is there a length or spring equivilant that is already sized correctly? like an ACE#49 or a nitefinder?

I looked at ACE for springs and none that I found worked. They were a little small on the I.D., even the 49s.

#10 Zook

Zook

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Looks like those "Elite" ranges Nerf spoke of for this release can actually happen now. Definitely going to try this out.
Bazookafied

Tactical Tag - bazookafied.blogspot.com

#11 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

I believe the 9637K32 could be a good replacement spring.

ID = .596 in.
OD = .72 in.
Compression Ratio/Deflection Rate = .752
Spring Constant = 1.69 lbs/in., which is about half that of a [k25].
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#12 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Sorry I was on vacation and didn't see this all come up. I did make a mistake in hearing the sales rep call the spring a K-11 when he called it from the shelf.

THE SPRING TO USE IS A RW-11.

I confirmed that with him this morning when looking to purchase more. He came back with the spring that JustSomeBob and a few others smartly pointed that it wouldn't fit. You are right a K-11 wouldn't fit in there.

I fixed the original posts and ordered a set of 9637K32 to test when they arrive.
This might also work. http://www.mcmaster....springs/=ich55f

#13 Seprest

Seprest

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Lasagna, I have run into more problems while trying to duplicate your spring replacement!

3.25" seems to be too small of a spring size, as this does not cause the spring to push the plunger tube into the "forward" position, which is needed in order to pull the bolt back, by grace of the forward bolt lock that ensures that the breach is closed before firing (the only useful lock I keep in my bolt sled blaster). How did you remedy this problem? I am thinking of filling up the space the plunger tube has to move, but do not want to do anything more until I hear how you made such a small spring work. The stock spring is 4" in length, which is just more than space available in its seating, thus causing pressure forward on the plunger tube when the blaster is not primed. I also tried to fill in the dead space before the spring with various spacers (coins, paper, etc), but found that filling the deadspace from behind led to their not being enough room for the fully compressed spring. Enlighten me on how this "magic" 3.25" length of spring works!

4 - HvZ Games Played

22- Mods completed

#14 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Lasagna, I have run into more problems while trying to duplicate your spring replacement!

3.25" seems to be too small of a spring size, as this does not cause the spring to push the plunger tube into the "forward" position, which is needed in order to pull the bolt back, by grace of the forward bolt lock that ensures that the breach is closed before firing (the only useful lock I keep in my bolt sled blaster). How did you remedy this problem? I am thinking of filling up the space the plunger tube has to move, but do not want to do anything more until I hear how you made such a small spring work. The stock spring is 4" in length, which is just more than space available in its seating, thus causing pressure forward on the plunger tube when the blaster is not primed. I also tried to fill in the dead space before the spring with various spacers (coins, paper, etc), but found that filling the deadspace from behind led to their not being enough room for the fully compressed spring. Enlighten me on how this "magic" 3.25" length of spring works!

Well first, let's make sure that you are using the proper spring. I was mislead into thinking that the K11s were right. INCORRECT. RW11 springs are where they are at. Just call a tool and die spring supplier in town. I have gotten mine from Ajax springs in Grand Rapids. Their website is http://www.ajaxspring.com/. That will give you a clue as to what type of company to look for.

But, for the RW-11, 3.25 is the length that I used. Longer length springs were too long when compressed. They don't bounce around, you can hear that in the video of the test fire.
Other than that, I dunno what to tell ya. I'm sharing what I found to work, and work well indeed.

#15 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Did you examine the wire diameter? Perhaps the RW-11 fully compressed is actually longer than the stock spring. (Haven't looked myself yet, just a thought).

#16 ikuaod2

ikuaod2

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Sorry I was on vacation and didn't see this all come up. I did make a mistake in hearing the sales rep call the spring a K-11 when he called it from the shelf.

THE SPRING TO USE IS A RW-11.

I confirmed that with him this morning when looking to purchase more. He came back with the spring that JustSomeBob and a few others smartly pointed that it wouldn't fit. You are right a K-11 wouldn't fit in there.

I fixed the original posts and ordered a set of 9637K32 to test when they arrive.
This might also work. http://www.mcmaster....springs/=ich55f

Have those new springs come in yet for you to test? I don't see how to order the RW-11 since I live in WA and do not have access to your local store. But the 9637532 I can access, but want to know first if they do indeed work well.

#17 lasagna678

lasagna678

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Have those new springs come in yet for you to test? I don't see how to order the RW-11 since I live in WA and do not have access to your local store. But the 9637532 I can access, but want to know first if they do indeed work well.

Those other ones didn't work well. They were light and unimpressive. Donno what to tell you guys. I have those RW11s at 3.25" and they are working fine for me. I could show you a video the next time I open it up but until then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users