5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeo

Jeo

Red Team: HooRah!

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Howdy all!

Before I kick off in to the specifics of the blaster in question, I'm going to provide a little back story. Please feel free to skip this if you're just here for the pretty pictures though. A few weeks ago I built myself an RSBC'd BuzzBee Ultimate Missile Blast (BBUMB), but more importantly, actually got to use it. I'd played around with singled titans before but due to the modding restrictions we had at ANU (basically AR's only), I'd never been able to use them and thus never really put much thought in to high powered blasters. Then about 18months ago the Canberra and Southern NSW Dart Tag group started up and hey look, far more relaxed modding restrictions. Played a few games with the BBUMB and while it was cool, it just didn't suit my running play style like a Raider did. This then got me motivated again in things that weren't necessarily practical, but are well cool.

After a game one day I a mate had said to me how disappointed he was with the performance of his LongStike and if I could help him. I suggested the standard spring+AR mods but explained that it would only ever be on par with my Raider, and not to suddenly expect BBUMB sorts of ranges. The thought then immediately popped in to my head "Why not get BBUMB sorts of ranges out of a LongStrike? I've got a LongStrike that I never use, so why not?" I went home and started sizing up the BBUMB internals and the LongStrike shell before it dawned on me; "Forget buying another BBUMB, I've got a Titan sitting there that also never gets used!"

I already knew that I was never going to use it in a game, I just wanted something cool, so I was very strict on myself in that it had to look as much like a LongStrike as possible when I was finished, even if that meant sacrificing practicality. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, in that it looks like a LongStrike but is a singled Titan.

So, lets get to it...

The donors. You'll obviously notice that I had previously painted my LongStrike, this colour scheme will remain on the finished product.
Posted Image

Dremel'ed the buggery out of the shell.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Test fitting the pump.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The makings of the breech. 17/32 brass with a cutout to load the dart, 9/16 piece to slide over the top of it Obviously some of the shell was cut away too.
Posted Image

Posted Image

How I made the bolt for the breech. Cut out a piece of 19/32 brass and drilled a hole through it, placed an M3 captive nut used in press fittings through it, glued the two together, soldered the 19/32 brass to the 9/16 breech slide.
Posted Image

Posted Image

All of the components in place.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Titan tank in place, complete with a rather large cut out in the shell. I'm aware this now looks like a butchered LongStrike and not all cool, but bare with me.
Posted Image

I cut up a 6 clip for looks.
Posted Image

The breech open.
Posted Image

Half open.
Posted Image

Closed.
Posted Image

The physically finished product from the right.
Posted Image

The physically finished product from the left. Again, with painting still to come at this stage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Jeo

Jeo

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

Skip forward a few weeks and we have the finished product. As of this stage she had put many Streamliners through cardboard boxes and left many a welt on friends backs (and my own) but that's about all it's been used for. I've taken it along to a game just because a few people had asked to see it, but it obviously hasn't been used in-game.

Finished up the painting just in time for an Australian modding comp (of which it took out runner-up overall best blaster), so here's the finished product ladies and gents.

Posted Image
Damn it! I just noticed in this pic that I've apparently lost the stock clip release button. Balls.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Cool! I like the soldered primming handle. How does the air from the pump go through the kink in the tubeing right in front of the trigger?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#4 bhajj94

bhajj94

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Wow, looks really great. I love how you painted over the glue from the tank. I just actually got inspired by this post and integrated an Ultimate Missile Blast into a Longstrike shell. Thanks for the idea dude!
Probably lurking somewhere...

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Cool.

But good lord are those the most jankety-ass internals.

#6 Jeo

Jeo

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Cheers guys!

How does the air from the pump go through the kink in the tubeing right in front of the trigger?

Haven't noticed a problem. Pump isn't plugged but does get a longer priming stroke than it did in the titan shell. Normally give it about 20 pumps and the opv will have triggered.

Wow, looks really great. I love how you painted over the glue from the tank.

Like in this photo?
=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/joe282828/Long-er%20Stike/DSCN2557.jpg

It's actually a blue cable tie.

But good lord are those the most jankety-ass internals.

Good thing most people don't get to see the internals!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users